Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default "The DCAU SHOULD Have Been The Blueprint For The DCEU"

Why not the comic books being the blueprint?

I think they could learn from the DCAU but I rather the movies be their own thing.

I hear this talking point come up every so often and it's rather annoying, honestly. The DCAU is overall pretty good but it shouldn’t be held up as this end-all and be-all of DC media. It had it's own list of mishandled characters as Snyder does with Superman.
    Last edited by Gaius; 06-23-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I hear this talking point come up every so often and it's rather annoying, honestly. The DCAU is overall pretty good but it shouldn’t be held up as this end-all and be-all of DC media. It had it's own list of mishandled characters as Snyder does with Superman.
    Pretty much. And, objectively, the BatGod/Bat wank, can get REALLY bad at times.

Is it a place to look at for inspiration? Sure. Should it be the exact basis? Hell naw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Pretty much. And, objectively, the BatGod/Bat wank, can get REALLY bad at times.

Is it a place to look at for inspiration? Sure. Should it be the exact basis? Hell naw.
    That Amanda Waller Bat-wank speech from "Epilogue" still annoys me so much. And I only watched that episode once.

Crazy how 20 years later Justice League is still the best adaptation of the property.

Incredible Member

I know WW fans wouldn't like that

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'll pass. Love the show for what it was but it had its limits and popularized some bad ideas about certain characters.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I like the DCAU, but like many things from the 90s associated with DC, it did the Silver Age dirty.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I think the DCAU shows a shared DC Universe in media form can work (even Young Justice is basically the MCU of the DCU all put together into one show) but I don't think it needs to be seen as an exact bible.

I guess if you want to see Superman and Martian Manhunter get K.O.'d by a light breeze, or Wonder Woman be on agro mode 24/7.

Extraordinary Member

I’m in agreement with other here that while some of the general set-up of the DCU should have been considered “proven,” other parts shouldn’t have been seen as anything like sacrosanct. But some of those points were more the result of simply figuring out something intelligent from the comics and doing it well - like Lex Luthor being the combined businessman-mad scientist, or the very Bronze Age/Post-Crisis portrayal of Metropolis as a wonderland of high tech baddies and gear.

And yes, if there’s any one single lesson that I think should have been applied, it’s probably that a Jon Stewart Green Lantern is a better idea for diversity than Cyborg.

But there are other parts of the DCU that I wouldn’t want to have followed the DCAU at all - like how much more I enjoy the very Silver Age On asteroids use of Phantom Zone escapees like Zod in MOS, or how much I would regard any attempt to copy Bruce Timm’s fetish for Batman and Batgirl romance as a major no-no.

Really, you’d probably want to review all media and stories for inspiration.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I guess if you want to see Superman and Martian Manhunter get K.O.'d by a light breeze, or Wonder Woman be on agro mode 24/7.
    Or giving puppy dog eyes to Batman the rest of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Or giving puppy dog eyes to Batman the rest of the time.
    Ugg, yeah the two modes of Wonder Woman.

-

Plus this guy is basically trying to say the DCEU should have done what the MCU did and they technically already succeeded with it with the DCAU, but he seems to use Batman as an example of how these creators “understood” the character or what’s best for them, which feels like two different arguments to me.