Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    I feel disconnected.

Dust's annoyance at the volcanoes feels tacked in. You mean to tell me all those supposedly smart Omegas and Storm didn't realize the consequences of what they were doing?

You can cite arrogance but I cant jive to this.
    I'm reminded to the Genesis Device from Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek: The Search for Spock. Flash-terraforming in science fiction is notorious for how often it will break appart and just end as a work of hubris.

In part because of the simple reflection from real life that some things need to take a certain amount of time and that while times can be shortened with trickery or improved technique, it can only be done so a degree, but eventualy if pushed too far it will just produce something inferior to what is created "properly" with time and care.

Plus more common knowledge in modern day about just how complex and fragile an eco-system like Earth's is, reflecting into how Sci-fi writers treat the act and longterm requirements for terraforming a planet to the point where it can sustain itself.

In addition to that, how many of these Omegas are actualy "smart" in the scientific sense of knowing about the requirements of creating a habitable world. What is required as basis, what problems do certain pre-existing environments create, what is required for longterm sustainability of the eco-sphere, how long do the chemical reactions and organic growths need to progress until the necessary atmosphere is created, etc.

None of them strike me as Mark Wattneys and judging by his reaction experts like Doctor Nemesis were not involved in planning the whole thing either. Instead it seems the Omegas were just flexing their muscles and eyeballing the whole thing based on instinct and rough knowledge.

So terraforming Mars in an hour just based on a general idea of how it could be done and taking time skippers at every opportunity might have just produced an impressive looking big building but standing on a weak foundation, with missing cables and pipework and eventualy the number of necessary repairs and improvements might pile up to the point where it would be better to let it crumble and start again properly.

In europe there are a lot of stories about shoddily rushed housing after WWII which barely lasted 20 years at times, while even many damaged "cheap" pre-war buildings were still sturdy enough after repairs to last into modern days (albeit not as comfortable as dedicated newer ones).
    Last edited by Grunty; 07-10-2021 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    I'm reminded to the Genesis Device from Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek: The Search for Spock. Flash-terraforming in science fiction is notorious for how often it will break appart and just end as a work of hubris.

In part because of the simple reflection from real life that some things need to take a certain amount of time and that while times can be shortened with trickery or improved technique, it can only be done so a degree, but eventualy if pushed too far it will just produce something inferior to what is created "properly" with time and care.

Plus more common knowledge in modern day about just how complex and fragile an eco-system like Earth's is, reflecting into how Sci-fi writers treat the act and longterm requirements for Terraforming a planet to the point where it can sustain itself.

So terraforming Mars in an hour just based on a general idea of how it could be done and taking time skippers at every opportunity might have just produced an impressive looking big building but standing on a weak foundation, with missing cables and pipework and eventualy the number of necessary repairs and improvements might pile up to the point where it would be better to let it crumble and start again properly.

In europe there are a lot of stories about shoddily rushed housing after WWII which barely lasted 20 years at times, while even many damaged "cheap" pre-war buildings were still sturdy enough after repairs to last into modern days (albeit not as comfortable as dedicated newer ones).
    I think I get what yer saying but even if some bad guy takes yer big invention to do bad doesn't mean you shouldnt make a big invention.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by blinkingblah View Post
    Who is the floating stretchy woman?
    Lost. She was created for the series.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Perhaps they rezzed Marlyn and the rat faced cook from the Institute?
    My flag is bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I wish this would become a full on X-Men team book!

Nightcrawler, Legion, Xorn 1, Xorn 2, Pixie, and Stacy X would made a hell of an X-team. Maybe Exodus could join to.
    Plus Dr. Nemesis. But yeah -- I've been thinking the same thing! I don't mind Si Spurrier getting ahold of all the weird little X-characters hiding in the corners of the universe, like...
    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Dust is savage, a credit to the New Hellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    What would you call them? The Acolytes of X?
    The eXemplars

Nightcrawler
    Legion
    Dr. Nemesis
    Dazzler
    Xorn Bros.
    Lost
    Stacy X
    Pixie
    Mercury
    Loa
    Dust

-Pav. who thinks we might find out why the Xorn Bros are helping David out...
    Last edited by Pav; 07-10-2021 at 08:57 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post

I’d be very interested to see a tension between different classes of mutants, I’ve said that before.
    Who is cleaning Emma’s toilet? Who’s doing Eric’s laundry? Someone has to be.
    Doesn’t Krakoa handle all that? I remember a brief explanation in X-Men when Scott way doing the dishes. Basically everything is recycled.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Krakoa takes care of buidings, transport, food and security but I don´t think it´s also in charge of laundry or toilets. Emma may have someone in charge of cleaning given she also has a personal chef, not sure about Erik, he did his and the New mutants laundry with some help from robots when he was headmaster or Ferris, his personal robot, did it for him, now with Krakoa with the no-robots allowed policy, who knows, given he lives on his own,since Lorna left I suspect he does it himself and there´s also the fact his uniform is an armor he builds and changes with his powers, he only uses normal clothes for special occasions like the Gala.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 07-10-2021 at 11:20 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Plus more common knowledge in modern day about just how complex and fragile an eco-system like Earth's is, reflecting into how Sci-fi writers treat the act and longterm requirements for terraforming a planet to the point where it can sustain itself.

In addition to that, how many of these Omegas are actualy "smart" in the scientific sense of knowing about the requirements of creating a habitable world. What is required as basis, what problems do certain pre-existing environments create, what is required for longterm sustainability of the eco-sphere, how long do the chemical reactions and organic growths need to progress until the necessary atmosphere is created, etc.

None of them strike me as Mark Wattneys and judging by his reaction experts like Doctor Nemesis were not involved in planning the whole thing either. Instead it seems the Omegas were just flexing their muscles and eyeballing the whole thing based on instinct and rough knowledge.

So terraformed mars is Fallout76?
    Can't wait to see the "glitches"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    So terraformed mars is Fallout76?
    Can't wait to see the "glitches"
    In that regard you could also compare to Cyberpunk 2077 considering the city and it's exterior environments do look impressive, but then the bugs, glitches and shallowness of the world and content starts kicking in.
    You may now imagine the Arrakii t-posing for dominance in the backround.

However i think the problems with the flash-terraforming of Mars is that it looks fine at first, but the problems with the foundation will start creeping in over time and become worse the more "features" they will try to add over time as the bugs and glitches with them will start to add to those of the foundation.

Basicly an example where the first 3 hours look fine and impressive, but then it becomes apparent that the devs focused all their best content on these early hours but there are still hours to go until the end of the game/content and the devs ran out of steam.

Perhaps Anthem or certain failed free to play games and MMORPG might be fitting examples.
    Last edited by Grunty; 07-11-2021 at 03:59 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    The first Xorn (Kuan-Yin) inhaled Kick and pretended to be Magneto thereafter.

His brother Shen, the second Xorn, was an ally and member of the X-Men, as well as leader of Tian.
    Actually , it was Xorn possessing Magneto aka Darwin possessing Vulcan , which is why Magneto has memories of Planet X LOL BBDB5696-8EC6-4FD3-A15F-E07EB0D29E61.jpg

Even the spirit of Adult Jean acknowledged Magneto WAS Xorn , to herself , Teen Jean

1B2F69EB-5CFE-4F44-B0F9-536B9AB0F3A9.jpg

And this was confirmed by Wolverine to her final form , White Phoenix Jean 1E0AE5D1-1473-4C85-B775-D0978FD444E6.jpg

Astonishing Member

That Arrako has flaws in its terraforming shouldn’t be a surprise or too big an issue, even if Eric hadn’t apparently organised this on short notice and bothered to consult the scientists, this is still the first time mutants have ever done something like this, so kinks were to be expected (especially since office politics deprived them of the guy who has built viable planets)

And as it is the Arano are too high on being twisted social Darwinists to mind being on a death world since it’s still better than Amenth. It’s the hubris in declaring Arrako the centre of the universe that makes the defects an issue.

It would, after all, be embarrassing if the Mutantdom managed to lose Teddy’s Mother-in-Law and whatever Embassy he sends in such close proximity to each other

Incredible Member

You people are forgetting that Magneto and the X-crowd have acess to non-human (Alien) science databases that's most likely ripe with information on terraforming planets and the like. It's not as if they're doing any of this from scratch.

They're basically using their powers in place of the alien technology to achieve the same results as the technology on what seems to be a far faster timescale than the technology is capable of.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 07-11-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    Ahhhh Papi likes the obscure characters!!!! I am in love with her powers and appearance also!! She and Cam (the white tiger guy) from New Mutants are my two favorite recent additions.
    Last edited by blinkingblah; 07-11-2021 at 06:17 PM.

I thought i was out but completely forgot i preordered this until i just signed in. Haven't read yet but i guess this will be the deciding factor. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I thought i was out but completely forgot i preordered this until i just signed in. Haven't read yet but i guess this will be the deciding factor. lol
    Some interesting stuff happens. Currently writing a précis of the issue, will post once it’s allowed.