Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I think i'm starting to see the "destructive" or writers brought on to be the antagonists vs. the "builders" or rather protagonist to the era. Preview looks great. I never have much to say about this book but def in my top five.
    I was so cross about the characterisation of Kurt in the last issue (when has Kurt ever had problems with casual sex?) but I’m still on tenterhooks to see where Si is going with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I was so cross about the characterisation of Kurt in the last issue (when has Kurt ever had problems with casual sex?) but I’m still on tenterhooks to see where Si is going with this.
    I was as well but i'm picking up on a lot of little things since issue one. If your going to be an antagonist make it make sense. I can't see how Storm would not be interested in the largest volcano in the world continously erupting on the planet she is regent to when one of her primary powers is a connection to the planet and this one she created the climate. That doesn't take anything away from the book for me so i'm still looking forward but it does make me go "hmmmm"

It's like he will write anything to get to the point he wants to. Like with Kurt having a problem with sex because he wanted stacy to be the authority on it and come off free.

Oh and they forgot the tides, but planet size literally said storm was using wind to go marries sky and sea so wouldn't she notice some of these things. i mean i get it's a moment for soorya but he has a tendency to write others down to write someone up.
    Last edited by jwatson; 07-09-2021 at 12:53 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm looking forward to where last issue is leading for Mercury. :/

I can't see how Storm would not be interested in the largest volcano in the world continously erupting on the planet she is regent to when one of her primary powers is a connection to the planet and this one she created the climate. That doesn't take anything away from the book for me so i'm still looking forward but it does make me go "hmmmm"
    That's the main reason I want to see this addressed in SWORD as well. It feels off for it to just be, essentially, a throwaway joke in Way of X, instead of a very serious problem that should be a plot in the space book.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out if I'm looking forward to where last issue is leading for Mercury. :/

That's the main reason I want to see this addressed in SWORD as well. It feels off for it to just be, essentially, a throwaway joke in Way of X, instead of a very serious problem that should be a plot in the space book.
    I don't think it's off it's messy. Notice he went out of his way to say Presidency of Sol. and in bold no less while everywhere else it was mentioned as regent. somebody seem salty. lol I mean i agree there would be problems and they should be addressed there but he been tearing down omegas since Dr. Nemesis. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

And you know while i'm at it and in my feels. I may as well add it's not cute to have the only character of color in the book throwing up on every dang body every other page.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

I don't think it's off it's messy. Notice he went out of his way to say Presidency of Sol. and in bold no less while everywhere else it was mentioned as regent. somebody seem salty. lol I mean i agree there would be problems and they should be addressed there but he been tearing down omegas since Dr. Nemesis. lol
    That's fair; "messy" is a better word choice.

This did go along with the point he'd made in the previous issue about the omegas vs. the rank-and-file. The omegas put on a show, and now here's Dust having to come in and do cleanup for little fanfare.

edit: I can't figure out how I want to phrase this. It's like he's being too blunt and on-the-nose with some of these ideas, which makes them seem glib.
    Last edited by Paragon; 07-09-2021 at 01:20 PM.

I was as well but i'm picking up on a lot of little things since issue one. If your going to be an antagonist make it make sense. I can't see how Storm would not be interested in the largest volcano in the world continously erupting on the planet she is regent to when one of her primary powers is a connection to the planet and this one she created the climate. That doesn't take anything away from the book for me so i'm still looking forward but it does make me go "hmmmm"

It's like he will write anything to get to the point he wants to. Like with Kurt having a problem with sex because he wanted stacy to be the authority on it and come off free.

Oh and they forgot the tides, but planet size literally said storm was using wind to go marries sky and sea so wouldn't she notice some of these things. i mean i get it's a moment for soorya but he has a tendency to write others down to write someone up.
    It’s not just Spurrier, I feel that all the characters are just ciphers to carry the story, rather than acting true to their previous characterisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    That's fair; "messy" is a better word choice.

This did go along with the point he'd made in the previous issue about the omegas vs. the rank-and-file. The omegas put on a show, and now here's Dust having to come in and do cleanup for little fanfare.
    I’d be very interested to see a tension between different classes of mutants, I’ve said that before.
    Who is cleaning Emma’s toilet? Who’s doing Eric’s laundry? Someone has to be.

And you know while i'm at it and in my feels. I may as well add it's not cute to have the only character of color in the book throwing up on every dang body every other page.
    Yeah, I like Lost but the joke is getting a little thin and as you say, the only person of colour in the book deserves better.
    I was torn over casting her as the babies caregiver, it was sweet but feels rather typecasting her as the nanny.

Love, Dust!

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Love, Dust!
    Think we all agree on that!

Incredible Member

It’s not just Spurrier, I feel that all the characters are just ciphers to carry the story, rather than acting true to their previous characterisation.

I’d be very interested to see a tension between different classes of mutants, I’ve said that before.
    Who is cleaning Emma’s toilet? Who’s doing Eric’s laundry? Someone has to be.
    honestly seems like madrox dupes do all that kind of work, everyone else just hangs out in paradise if they're not a big name in the mutant community.
    could the use of his dupes for all this level of work be considered wrong and sort of like slave labor?

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Yeah, it feels destructive to work so hard to unsell this thing that was just heralded as this huge accomplishment, but some writers are just like that.

I'll be surprised if it's acknowledged anywhere else. If there was a problem, the Arakki would be handling it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Yeah, it feels destructive to work so hard to unsell this thing that was just heralded as this huge accomplishment, but some writers are just like that.

I'll be surprised if it's acknowledged anywhere else. If there was a problem, the Arakki would be handling it anyway.
    And why would the very group that is basically investigating onslaught, what is a psychic pariah attacking the minds of krakoan citizens potentially bring it to a new planet that is full with war like mutants.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

I wanted to stick around for the plot but I’m not buying this book anymore. I think the way Dust uses her powers are awesome, but I agree that the characters are just ciphers that are molded to fit the writers personal opinions. Even from the new previews I can guess where is probably going:

A mutant shows up to lecture Nightcrawler about everything the higher ups are doing wrong (This time it’s Dust)
    Obligatory jab at kurt being religious (is Dust REALLY the sort of person who would turn her nose up at Kurt being religious!)
    Nightcrawler remains passive and ineffectual to the plot
    Legion plays and active role to move the plot forward because it’s his book
    Pixie and Dr Nemisis are there.

Tune in for Way of X 5: Rinse and Repeat
    Last edited by Proxy; 07-09-2021 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    I wanted to stick around for the plot but I’m not buying this book anymore. I think the way Dust uses her powers are awesome, but I agree that the characters are just ciphers that are molded to fit the writers personal opinions. Even from the new previews I can guess where is probably going:

A mutant shows up to lecture Nightcrawler about everything the higher ups are doing wrong (This time it’s Dust)
    Obligatory jab at kurt being religious (is Dust REALLY the sort of person who would turn her nose up at Kurt being religious!)
    Nightcrawler remains passive and ineffectual to the plot
    Legion plays and active role to move the plot forward because it’s his book
    Pixie and Dr Nemisis are there.

Tune in for Way of X 5: Rinse and Repeat
    Thanks for this. I haven't read a whole lot of Dust so I wasn't sure if this was how she normally sounds. I thought she was a bit harsh and I don't like Kurt being a punching bag.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!