Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    Literally everything they're doing will blow up in their faces and screw them over by the end.
    That is the logical conclusion to all of this
    Some people get mad and say you hate mutants and only want to see them suffer when you say it, but it's definitely the plan. Mutants will end up at the end of Hickmans plan better than when they started, but all the schemes and schemes within schemes within the Council alone is going to crash. I'd be very surprised if this run ends with the council still existing, or at the least existing as "leaders choose the other leaders" oligarchy it currently is

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Gods? I don't know. But I find it hard to call it anything but megalomaniac.

1. Terraforming the planet without consulting any other scientists of any other nation is reckless (what if their maths were wrong? They’d be risking everyone). Without consulting with other political representatives of nations of Earth is the type of behavior that led to wars before. Even if you consider that mutants are so evolved it wouldn’t happen to them, humans aren't. Humans learnt to deal with this sort of issues through diplomacy. Mutants turning their backs to diplomacy with humans send a really strong message, one that isn't of reconciliation, but domination.
    What do other scientists of other nations on earth know about Terraforming anything?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    Literally everything they're doing will blow up in their faces and screw them over by the end.
    That is the logical conclusion to all of this
    And how did you deduce such logical conclusion how certain are you of their doom. Please enlighten us on the thought process that lead you here.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    What do other scientists of other nations on earth know about Terraforming anything?
    It's not just about terraforming. It's what it took to get it done. For instance, increasing the mass of the planet. That - or even just moving the amount of iron it took - could have pulled some asteroids out of orbit. And that is pure physics and humans have countless of data and models about this kind of celestial body movement.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtynun View Post
    And how did you deduce such logical conclusion how certain are you of their doom. Please enlighten us on the thought process that lead you here.
    We could start with "Hickmans all but said that's what's going to happen"

Amazing Member

If I were to imagine myself in the MU then I would say it’s understandable why they did it so quickly and secretly. Allllll of the Earth Governments would try to sabotage or stop it if they knew what they had planned. So good for them.

But- what my MU counterpart would likely find disturbing is the whole “Capital of Sol” bit. As that rings up all kinds of alarms when it comes to political aspirations for mutantkind. As a history and political nerd it’s bringing up all kinds of references that would make me and probably most of the “Meh” people confused and suspicious of that particular intent.

As the whole Hellfire Gala is now an attempt to put in place de Jure status of Mars as the capital of Sol, where it is very much de Facto NOT the case.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dirtynun View Post
    The part where has constantly foreshadowed it, and he's not even being subtle about it.
    Like this whole thing started with Xavier learning they always lose and going "LOL this time will totes be different."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Some people get mad and say you hate mutants and only want to see them suffer when you say it, but it's definitely the plan. Mutants will end up at the end of Hickmans plan better than when they started, but all the schemes and schemes within schemes within the Council alone is going to crash. I'd be very surprised if this run ends with the council still existing, or at the least existing as "leaders choose the other leaders" oligarchy it currently is
    I swear X-fans have never read a Hickman comic before this era, cause this is his bread and butter. Both in Marvel AND in his Indie Comics.

Reign of X is SOOOOOO East of West it's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    I swear X-fans have never read a Hickman comic before this era, cause this is his bread and butter. Both in Marvel AND in his Indie Comics.

Reign of X is SOOOOOO East of West it's hilarious.
    Hickman even said that since X fans don't read his other stuff they won't see as much as what's coming. But yeah there's a lot of Hickmans trademarks from his other stuff (done in different ways) in the X-Men line

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Gods? I don't know. But I find it hard to call it anything but megalomaniac.

1. Terraforming the planet without consulting any other scientists of any other nation is reckless (what if their maths were wrong? They’d be risking everyone). Without consulting with other political representatives of nations of Earth is the type of behavior that led to wars before. Even if you consider that mutants are so evolved it wouldn’t happen to them, humans aren't. Humans learnt to deal with this sort of issues through diplomacy. Mutants turning their backs to diplomacy with humans send a really strong message, one that isn't of reconciliation, but domination.

2. Renaming the planet implies ownership.

3. Determining where visitors can land proves it is more than simply implying ownership - outside the the borders of Lake Hellas anyone will be subject to Arakki law, in other words, the planet is theirs.

4. Calling the planet the capitol of the system then appointing a regent without any sort of democratic election is... well, dictatorship. It's one thing for Krakoa and Arakko to have their councils/rings. They organise their society in whatever way they want. But once they claim to speak for the Solar System, they need to be represented by the people of the Solar System, otherwise, yes, it is a dictatorship. Just because the ruler didn’t get to power through violent means it doesn't make it any less dictatorial.
    The first thing I thought of was the quote from Andy Weir's book The Martian: Excerpt: "... my alma mater, the University of Chicago. They say once you grow crops somewhere, you have officially “colonized” it. So technically, I colonized Mars. In your face, Neil Armstrong!”

Further digging revealed that ownership of the moon and other celestial bodies is covered under The Moon Treaty (or the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies) which has been signed/ratified by 17 parties, making it international law (however, it should be noted that the USA, Russia & China refused to sign it).

"... the moon currently has no legal framework created by its own population, because there isn’t one. As there is no governing body presiding over it, a challenge could be made when a colony is founded.

"If, as the law currently stands, no nation can claim land to make a satellite colony (essentially an extension of their own country), then any colony would have to be considered an independent state. Today’s laws would require this new settlement to be neutral, international, and non-military, which is difficult to imagine in the current political climate."

I think Krakoa has made the legal precedent of claiming Mars for themselves.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaryhawk View Post
    The first thing I thought of was the quote from Andy Weir's book The Martian: Excerpt: "... my alma mater, the University of Chicago. They say once you grow crops somewhere, you have officially “colonized” it. So technically, I colonized Mars. In your face, Neil Armstrong!”

Further digging revealed that ownership of the moon and other celestial bodies is covered under The Moon Treaty (or the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies) which has been signed/ratified by 17 parties, making it international law (however, it should be noted that the USA, Russia & China refused to sign it).

"... the moon currently has no legal framework created by its own population, because there isn’t one. As there is no governing body presiding over it, a challenge could be made when a colony is founded.

"If, as the law currently stands, no nation can claim land to make a satellite colony (essentially an extension of their own country), then any colony would have to be considered an independent state. Today’s laws would require this new settlement to be neutral, international, and non-military, which is difficult to imagine in the current political climate."

I think Krakoa has made the legal precedent of claiming Mars for themselves.
    I'm not sure we can characterize it as "legal precedent" because I'm not sure that even matters to them anymore. That's the whole point, isn't it? One of the motivations for terraforming Mars was the law suit about their use of the Savage Land.

Claiming the planet is the new capitol of the system and choosing its ruler is, in my opinion, the worst part of it (not that the rest isn't already problematic to say the least).

One thing i will say if the people who really really want Krakoa to go down are right and it does. I am going to have my popcorn ready. Depowering didn't go over well, Gassing was horrid, and now destroying Krakoa even if it's at their own hands they will need to walk that line very carefully. I mean if you read marvel voices nearly all the characters call krakoa home, is marvel really going to destroy that after releasing a book like that. Maybe.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Ever since they create an island of Krakoa for the mutantkinds, it will be safe they finally have their own land of livings away from the city and the earthkinds. However when Planet Size X-Men come around on the Gala, they seem to do the impossible thing including transforming planet Mars into a new planet call "Arrako". A living planet where arakko otherworlders inhabitat their place. It make me wonder did they ever cross the line or gone too far. Even most of the diplomats and the galantic coucils can view the X-Men are no longer a society but a "Rogue nation". It also show how far they become as even though the "mutant status" will pretty enough to bring more heat between humankinds and Avengers relationship with the X-Men.
    It's funny that you mention what's happening in space instead the crazy MESS Beast was talking about this week. This man literally said Krakoa is God and even Emma had a look at him crazy.

Is X-Men dangerously playing "Gods" ?

No.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Fantastic Member

I feel like this Hickman X-Men world is being set up to have a great fall of some kind. And I am almost certain a theme of the mutants being too powerful or arrogant will come into play when that happens. I will be very surprised if that's not how the end of this run/status quo goes.

With Arakko on Mars, I do wonder if what's being built up could be too big to all come undone. At least, that's my preference. There are even elements pre-HiX-Men that I thought were unfortunate to have left behind.