Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Thanks for sharing your perspective as well.

I really wish I could agree.

--

I just wrote this one another thread, so I'll just copy and paste it:

Dictatorship is the form of government where a single person or a small group hold the power over a society without being limited by a constitution and without being challenged by democratic elections.

I don't know how one would argue that is not the case for the Quiet Council, the Great Ring of Arakko or the Regent of Sol...

A kind and righteous dictator is still a dictator.

So, by definition, unless the inhabitants of the Solar System are allowed to vote for the regent (directly or indirectly) and this regent’s power is limited by some form of constitution, the people of the Solar System is living under a dictatorship, conceptually speaking.

--

Now, why does it bother me? I grew up in a country where a military dictatorship was still recent history, where the civil goverment wasn't elected directly yet, where people were still going to the streets to demand those elections, where a new democratic contitution was still to be written.

So, I understand it is personal to me. I understand it colours my view and that's why I'm trying to bounce my personal objections on other perspectives.

I'm afraid this is just too personal, though: democracy is too important to me and I can't be okay with the way things were written in the comics now.

I hope this will change. There is still time for it.

We'll have to wait and see.
    Eh people should stop trying to apply their human experiences to KraKoa. It ain't gonna match up...it'll be like someone from an island Populated only by men, trying to understand Themyscria. As for Storm being regent of Sol... looking at some of the leaders America and other countries have chosen past few years I shudder to think of intergalactic incident that could lead to the destruction of all life on Earth
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Eh people should stop trying to apply their human experiences to KraKoa. It ain't gonna match up...it'll be like someone from an island Populated only by men, trying to understand Themyscria. As for Storm being regent of Sol... looking at some of the leaders America and other countries have chosen past few years I shudder to think of intergalactic incident that could lead to the destruction of all life on Earth
    That's a fair point. But things became bigger than Krakoa and the mutants now. When it comes to the Solar System you have 8 billion humans living in it, so I think their perspective should be part of the conversation or it really implies oppression.

But anyway, I think that's all I have to say on the matter for the moment. I'll go digest my personal feelings on my own and keep reading for as long as it doesn't bother me too much.

Thanks for your input as well, though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Here's the problem - Orchis wants mutants dead. Mutants are born from humans. Even if Orchis were successful in eliminating all mutants, more would be born and Orchis would turn their sights on humans. That's how the deranged think.
    What Beast did was wrong, no doubt. But he's not looking to end humans.
    From what I see of beast , death is merciful.Guy not only turned ORed into a meat puppet, but the entire terra Verde.As for Orchis , I won't pretend to know their end goal, turning on humanity is unlikely we see in the future post humans with the technology at their disposal have probably either harnessed the mutant gene or 'neutered' it.I mean mutants have rendered themselves immortal, so why not hold human ingenuity to a similar standard when even now without being post human they have created Nimrod?

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    From what I see of beast , death is merciful.Guy not only turned ORed into a meat puppet, but the entire terra Verde.As for Orchis , I won't pretend to know their end goal, turning on humanity is unlikely we see in the future post humans with the technology at their disposal have probably either harnessed the mutant gene or 'neutered' it.I mean mutants have rendered themselves immortal, so why not hold human ingenuity to a similar standard when even now without being post human they have created Nimrod?
    Absolutely possible. I just don't see Orchis being recognized by humanity to represent them on any formal stage.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Absolutely possible. I just don't see Orchis being recognized by humanity to represent them on any formal stage.
    Which makes me wonder how a legitimate UN based organization to hande mutant affairs and ensure protection of normal humans from mutant crime and vis versa could look like?

Perhaps designed to have a rapport with the authorities of Krakoa and a division dedicated to ensure safety of normal humans from the action of criminal/extremist mutants, as a sort of counterpart to United Nation Peacekeeping forces.

Like it would certainly help to put part of the normal human population at ease seeing suitable equipped first responders showing up to capture or if necessary kill mutants who are rampaging or killing people, especialy when mutant heros are working alongside them and then hand them over to krakoan authorities with necessary paperwork and court reports included (even if they are white lie presentation of the summary "exile" that is actualy going on there).

Rather than the mutants just showing up shouting "diplomatic immunity!", talk about only them having a right to handle mutants, taking the criminal away and then leaving it to the imagination of what will happen to them (which might easily be seeing the criminals sitting on a beach drinking martinis because that's likely how the world sees Krakoa).

Now of course one could make remarks about the actual United Nation Peacekeeping force and their track record or the UN trying to maintain peace across the world in general. But that's the real world. These are super hero comics, where things can be more wonderous and functional than the real world.

We have a bunch of humans with super powers terraform mars. So why would an UN organization being successfull in making the world a better place be suddently "unrealistic"?

However i have the feeling, the writers would just use the whole thing to create another "evil human" organization out of it instead, because we can't have nice things and present fears or concerns of normal people towards mutant as being understandable and reasonable to a degree or things improving in a way that feels sustainable.
    Last edited by Grunty; 06-28-2021 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Which makes me wonder how a legitimate UN based organization to hande mutant affairs and ensure protection of normal humans from mutant crime and vis versa could look like?

Perhaps designed to have a rapport with the authorities of Krakoa and a division dedicated to ensure safety of normal humans from the action of criminal/extremist mutants, as a sort of counterpart to United Nation Peacekeeping forces.

Like it would certainly help to put part of the normal human population at ease seeing suitable equipped first responders showing up to capture or if necessary kill mutants who are rampaging or killing people, especialy when mutant heros are working alongside them and then hand them over to krakoan authorities with necessary paperwork and court reports included (even if they are white lie presentation of the summary "exile" that is actualy going on there).

Rather than the mutants just showing up shouting "diplomatic immunity!", talk about only them having a right to handle mutants, taking the criminal away and then leaving it to the imagination of what will happen to them (which might easily be seeing the criminals sitting on a beach drinking martinis because that's likely how the world sees Krakoa).

Now of course one could make remarks about the actual United Nation Peacekeeping force and their track record or the UN trying to maintain peace across the world in general. But that's the real world. These are super hero comics, where things can be more wonderous and functional than the real world.

We have a bunch of humans with super powers terraform mars. So why would an UN organization being successfull in making the world a better place be suddently "unrealistic"?

However i have the feeling, the writers would just use the whole thing to create another "evil human" organization out of it instead, because we can't have nice things and present fears or concerns of normal people towards mutant as being understandable and reasonable to a degree or things improving in a way that feels sustainable.
    Maybe X-Men will highlight some of this because I do find it interesting. They'll be operating on American soil so what will that entail regarding laws, extradition, etc.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

They are playing Gods and I love it... very sexy. Happy for them.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

With there being actual Gods and Greater Cosmic beings known throughout the MU far stronger than the handful of Omega mutants and their suddenly "God-like" powers...why should humans be pressed? Would they be just as pressed when Thor flexes his Asgardian might? Or Franklin?
    Be they Omega, Alpha, or on the lowest tier...Mutants are hated for being mutants, regardless of their power levels.

So let them Flex and play Gods...I'm here for it all.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    With there being actual Gods and Greater Cosmic beings known throughout the MU far stronger than the handful of Omega mutants and their suddenly "God-like" powers...why should humans be pressed? Would they be just as pressed when Thor flexes his Asgardian might? Or Franklin?
    Be they Omega, Alpha, or on the lowest tier...Mutants are hated for being mutants, regardless of their power levels.

You know some of that hatred has been mentioned to be the work of Sublime messing with human biology throughout the ages cause he can’t control mutants like he can humans
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

If we're using the context in which humans define "playing God", then you could make a case for it. Personally, I find the alarm in mutants doing so to be unfounded, considering that baseline humans have done the exact same thing, some (Richards/Stark/Banner/Pym/Zola/ect) going to the extreme for their own, selfish gain. Honestly, I find that the "criticism" of the actions of the Krakoan mutants come from a place of insecurity, double standards and hypocrisy.

Just saying
    Mutant and Proud
    Krakoa FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post

Mutant and Proud
    Krakoa FOREVER!!!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Fang X View Post
    If we're using the context in which humans define "playing God", then you could make a case for it. Personally, I find the alarm in mutants doing so to be unfounded, considering that baseline humans have done the exact same thing, some (Richards/Stark/Banner/Pym/Zola/ect) going to the extreme for their own, selfish gain. Honestly, I find that the "criticism" of the actions of the Krakoan mutants come from a place of insecurity, double standards and hypocrisy.

Just saying
    Absolutely and exactatiously.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Just saying
    I find it strange you say that when nearly every time those characters have done something along those lines it was portrayed as a bad thing, that they get called out for and are portrayed as wrong for doing it, heck one of the characters you're naming is a villain who was a Nazi everything he did was wrong on that basis alone.
    So where exactly is the double standard here? If anything the double standards is calling what Krakoa is doing good when those other characters were portrayed as wrong for similar actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    I find it strange you say that when nearly every time those characters have done something along those lines it was portrayed as a bad thing, that they get called out for and are portrayed as wrong for doing it, heck one of the characters you're naming is a villain who was a Nazi everything he did was wrong on that basis alone.
    So where exactly is the double standard here? If anything the double standards is calling what Krakoa is doing good when those other characters were portrayed as wrong for similar actions.
    Tony Stark and Reed Richards never had to suffer any true comeuppance for their actions during the OG Civil War (Stark got his brain rebooted, which was an out and Reed only got a few "stern" words from Sue and Ben), same for the other humans I named in the previous post. But when mutantkind takes similar measures as simple survival tactics and as a means to thrive, they are vilified for it, especially considering that virtually no humans *of note* have been harmed as an end result, unlike the aftermath of the actions of Mr. Fantastic/Iron Man/etc. That is where the double standard lies.
    Mutant and Proud
    Krakoa FOREVER!!!

Tony Stark and Reed Richards never had to suffer any true comeuppance for their actions during the OG Civil War (Stark got his brain rebooted, which was an out and Reed only got a few "stern" words from Sue and Ben), same for the other humans I named in the previous post. But when mutantkind takes similar measures as simple survival tactics and as a means to thrive, they are vilified for it, especially considering that virtually no humans *of note* have been harmed as an end result, unlike the aftermath of the actions of Mr. Fantastic/Iron Man/etc. That is where the double standard lies.
    Hank Pym is dead and Tony was ostracized for a long time by everyone. Nobody got hurt by terraforming Mars but, people didn’t agree or vote on who would represent an entire solar system. I don’t remember anyone of those you mentioned being crowned Voice of Sol, though personally don’t mind it’s Storm. Still this has possibility to affect everyone on Earth human and mutant. As well as other races which keep getting forgotten for some reason. So unilaterally saying you can speak for billions in a solar system by being given the title from one race just because you terraformed one planet is kinda like playing “God”
    Last edited by Covetous_One; 06-28-2021 at 02:09 PM.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!