Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Mad Men was pretty good, a glimpse of the 60s and early 70s through an ad agency. The characters might appear a bit shallow at first, but become much more complex (especially Don) as things go on.
    That there's a myriad of reasons for that shallowness because of corporate culture. Almost all the main characters consistently deal with some kind of "keeping up with the Joneses" type rivalry and ambition that takes a toll on their relationships and their own well-being to maintain that shallowness. Some succeed through it, some have their lives ruined by it, at least a couple people die and/or suffer severe physical health problems because of it, and in Don's case, it's a whole (and almost pointless) search for the soul in direct contradiction with the inherent shallowness and flash of advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Funnily enough I've been watching this recently. Going to start Season 5 soon.

It's really good, especially the first 3 and a half seasons. The second half of season 4 started rough but picked up towards the end.
    Yeah, tbh it peaked with the showdown between Said and Adebisi. What a ride, though.

Also, shoutouts to Mad Men, The Americans, and Succession.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 06-24-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I was gonna say Avatar: The Last Airbender, in complete seriousness. Pure escapism that can keep kids interested as well as adults deserves more credit than it gets, particularly if it can stick the landing on better storytelling than most premium cable shows.
    Avatar the Last Airbender is spectacular. I abatained from mentioning the children's tv shows I watched as a kid because that list would be in the hundreds.

Incredible Member

Hill Street Blues

BANNED

I feel Game of Thrones would still be considered among or the greatest show despite how much season 6 ,7 and especially 8 fell of the rails.

the earlier seasons may have done more than enough for the show to still earn the title.

The Good Place strikes an awesome balance between funny, smart/thought-provoking, and sweet/heartwarming. It's a comedy that will make you think, and ultimately leave you feeling good for its message ... and it never loses steam really, remains pretty sharp-witted to the end.

Nobody is recommending sitcoms, but this might well be my favorite.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Space adventures aren't your thing? Cause there definetly are some of those shows worth watching.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I feel Game of Thrones would still be considered among or the greatest show despite how much season 6 ,7 and especially 8 fell of the rails.

the earlier seasons may have done more than enough for the show to still earn the title.
    That's way too much suckiness to belong on this list, imo.

Furthermore, the show fell off as soon as the source material ran out. So it's really tough to rank GoT alongside these great shows that were creatively amazing while GoT was basically a very good adaptation until there was no more source material, at which point it sucked.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    The Good Place strikes an awesome balance between funny, smart/thought-provoking, and sweet/heartwarming. It's a comedy that will make you think, and ultimately leave you feeling good for its message ... and it never loses steam really, remains pretty sharp-witted to the end.

Nobody is recommending sitcoms, but this might well be my favorite.
    I loved The Good Place.

The Office while Steve Carrell was on is just about my favorite show ever.

Personally I didn't much care for the Wire, Sopranos or Breaking Bad.

For what it's worth, my ten favourite TV shows are:
    1. RuPaul's Drag Race
    2. Frasier
    3. the West Wing
    4. Boston Legal
    5. Cowboy BeBop
    6. Modern Family
    7. Deadwood
    8. Band of Brothers
    9. Battlestar Galactica
    10. Big Little Lies
    Honourable mention: Angels in America, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, ER, the Great British Bake Off, House of Cards, the Morning Show, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: the Next Generation and Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The Westwing is to this day still one of my favorite shows
    Mine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Big Little Lies
    Beautifully directed, but not for me.
    What about it, specifically, isn't your jam?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    In Treatment
    I only watched the first episode, but I love it so far. I hear it's still going. Did they replace the main character?
    Ohhh then you haven't even got to what makes the show SO GOOD! That comes ep.5
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-24-2021 at 03:01 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    That's way too much suckiness to belong on this list, imo.

Furthermore, the show fell off as soon as the source material ran out. So it's really tough to rank GoT alongside these great shows that were creatively amazing while GoT was basically a very good adaptation until there was no more source material, at which point it sucked.
    The first 5 seasons are enough considering those circumstances of running out of source material.

Incredible Member

The DCAU, starting with Batman - The Animated Series.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Funnily enough I've been watching this recently. Going to start Season 5 soon.

It's really good, especially the first 3 and a half seasons. The second half of season 4 started rough but picked up towards the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    The DCAU, starting with Batman - The Animated Series.
    I practically watched every episode as a kid, along with wvery other DCAU series. Good memories.

Hmm, don't see a lot of point in answering someone who self-declares his favorites to be the best and everything else is after them, especially since I don't any of them are top three of all-time.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member

Sopranos imo by a lot.