Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Sopranos imo by a lot.
    'by a lot', is a lot, and I want to disagree but from a pure entertainment standpoint that's tough to oppose. I'm a Wire stan and that show's premise was societal, even season 2 with the docks, and still managed to greatly entertain.

I think the humor in The Sopranos, even without a comedic relief character to be kind of under rated. There are looks, one character would give another after a line and to this day I crack up to myself recalling just that look dude gave another. That show was crafted from front to back, I don't know if that can work without a cast full of sociopaths.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    'by a lot', is a lot, and I want to disagree but from a pure entertainment standpoint that's tough to oppose. I'm a Wire stan and that show's premise was societal, even season 2 with the docks, and still managed to greatly entertain.

I think the humor in The Sopranos, even without a comedic relief character to be kind of under rated. There are looks, one character would give another after a line and to this day I crack up to myself recalling just that look dude gave another. That show was crafted from front to back, I don't know if that can work without a cast full of sociopaths.
    Of all the shows listed, Sopranos is by far the most quotable and probably most rewatchable, imo.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Hmm, don't see a lot of point in answering someone who self-declares his favorites to be the best and everything else is after them, especially since I don't any of them are top three of all-time.
    The three in particular I mentioned are the shows that most frequently get called "the best tv show of all time" by people. I don't even like the Sopranos, and while I'm a fan of Breaking Bad, it has a lot of problems.

Star Trek.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

As I never watched those 3 shows...
    MASH
    3 Stooges
    Golden Girls

Game of Thrones, West Wing, Dexter, Deadwood, True Detective, The Killing (Danish original), Narcos. Seinfeld and Friends comedy wise.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I'm not a big tv guy, but it's a medium of storytelling that fascinates me because because it's so similar to comics.

I've already watched what are considered the three greatest television shows of all time, The Wire, Breaking Bad, and The Sopranos (I'd swap Sopranos with the first season and a half of Twin Peaks or the first three seasons of Fargo, or Louie, but I digress). I'm wondering what shows are of the same level of quality?

TV Shows I've watched:

The Shield
    Did the people who made the Mike Myers Cat in the Hat movie design the police station? Couldn't get past the first season

Californiacation
    Watched the first couple episodes, didn't find the protagonist particularly compelling.

Six Feet Under
    It breaks my heart how hit or miss this show is

Girls
    I found this show to be really endearing. I stopped midway through season 3 because I felt the show lost steam.

Carnivale
    Great antagonist in an otherwise uninteresting show.

Hannibal
    This show's version of Hannibal Lecter might be my favorite character in all of television. Mads Mikkelssen blows Anthony Hopkins out of the water and Hugh Dancy & Lawrence Fishburne are spectacular too. But Caroline Dhavernas' character could be cut entirely.

Watchmen
    Tries to reengineer the brilliance of the original with the same storytelling techniques without the characters and worldbuilding that made the comic so great in the first place.

The People Vs OJ Simpson
    As someone who was never interested in the OJ Simpson trial, I found this very compelling.

The Assassination of Giani Versace
    Serial killers are a well worn trope, but I thought every facet of this show was masterfully done.

Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Seeing Larry David never learn from his mistakes is extremely depressing.

True Detective
    Season one is brilliant, season two was more flawed but just as interesting as the last one. Stopped midway through season three because it felt like it was trying too hard to emulate the first season.

Trust
    I liked it.

Shameless
    Judging by the pilot, it seems more like sitcom than a drama, which doesn't interest me.

Big Little Lies
    Beautifully directed, but not for me.

Game of Thrones
    Watched the first episode, saw the Peter Dinklage sex scene, dedided it wasn't for me.

The Leftovers
    Solid, but a little too sci fi for my tastes.

In Treatment
    I only watched the first episode, but I love it so far. I hear it's still going. Did they replace the main character?

Atlanta
    Despite my bias against comedy and shows with self contained episodes I thought the first season was nothing short of incredible. It's not really my thing so I didn't stick around for the following seasons.

Ballers
    I watched the first two episodes and the main characters seem very shallow. Doesn't help that I know close to nothing about football.
    Wow, shame you dropped out of The Shield after Season 1. It really gets great as it goes on. The police station was actually a church that the production team found and they designed some of the locations inside it, like the cage and interrogation rooms.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I'm not a big tv guy, but it's a medium of storytelling that fascinates me because because it's so similar to comics.

I've already watched what are considered the three greatest television shows of all time, The Wire, Breaking Bad, and The Sopranos (I'd swap Sopranos with the first season and a half of Twin Peaks or the first three seasons of Fargo, or Louie, but I digress). I'm wondering what shows are of the same level of quality?

TV Shows I've watched:

The Shield
    Did the people who made the Mike Myers Cat in the Hat movie design the police station? Couldn't get past the first season

Californiacation
    Watched the first couple episodes, didn't find the protagonist particularly compelling.

Six Feet Under
    It breaks my heart how hit or miss this show is

Girls
    I found this show to be really endearing. I stopped midway through season 3 because I felt the show lost steam.

Carnivale
    Great antagonist in an otherwise uninteresting show.

Hannibal
    This show's version of Hannibal Lecter might be my favorite character in all of television. Mads Mikkelssen blows Anthony Hopkins out of the water and Hugh Dancy & Lawrence Fishburne are spectacular too. But Caroline Dhavernas' character could be cut entirely.

Watchmen
    Tries to reengineer the brilliance of the original with the same storytelling techniques without the characters and worldbuilding that made the comic so great in the first place.

The People Vs OJ Simpson
    As someone who was never interested in the OJ Simpson trial, I found this very compelling.

The Assassination of Giani Versace
    Serial killers are a well worn trope, but I thought every facet of this show was masterfully done.

Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Seeing Larry David never learn from his mistakes is extremely depressing.

True Detective
    Season one is brilliant, season two was more flawed but just as interesting as the last one. Stopped midway through season three because it felt like it was trying too hard to emulate the first season.

Trust
    I liked it.

Shameless
    Judging by the pilot, it seems more like sitcom than a drama, which doesn't interest me.

Big Little Lies
    Beautifully directed, but not for me.

Game of Thrones
    Watched the first episode, saw the Peter Dinklage sex scene, dedided it wasn't for me.

The Leftovers
    Solid, but a little too sci fi for my tastes.

In Treatment
    I only watched the first episode, but I love it so far. I hear it's still going. Did they replace the main character?

Atlanta
    Despite my bias against comedy and shows with self contained episodes I thought the first season was nothing short of incredible. It's not really my thing so I didn't stick around for the following seasons.

Ballers
    I watched the first two episodes and the main characters seem very shallow. Doesn't help that I know close to nothing about football.
    How do u not mention *LOST* tv series?!?

Here is a list of some damn good shows (in random order)

1) X-Files

2) 12 monkeys

3) The Good wife

4) The Good fight

5) Stargate SG1 and Atlantis

6) Fringe

7) Heroes (the first series NOT Heroes reborn)

8) Charmed (the original series NOT the current reboot)

9) Will n Grace

10) Prison break

11) Dr. House

12) The Chappelle show

13) Startrek Next Generation, Voyager and DS9

14) Tales from the crypt

15) Justice league unlimited

16) NYPD blue

17) Profiler

18) The Practice

19) Babylon 5

20) Boondocks

21) Spawn

22) West wing

23) Arrested development (early seasons)

24) 30 Rock

25) Dexter

26) 24

27) SPOOKS /MI-5

28) The Unit

29) Desperate Housewives

30) The Office

31) The Wire

32) Boston Legal

33) How to get away with murder

34) Scrubs

34) The Game

35) Monk

36) Nip/ Tuck

37) ER

38) Alias

39) Avatar- Last Airbender

40) Start up

41) Into the badlands

42) Walking dead and Fear of the walking dead

43) Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    The ending seemed to have cost that show a lot of good will.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Wow, shame you dropped out of The Shield after Season 1. It really gets great as it goes on. The police station was actually a church that the production team found and they designed some of the locations inside it, like the cage and interrogation rooms.
    Thanks for the recommendation. Because of your enthusiasm, I'll continue with the show.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    You gave a very good list that I'd co-sign to many on your list.
    Agent Z is right though.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The ending seemed to have cost that show a lot of good will.
    I sold off my DVDs, never bought the final season, and it's not a show I've cared to re-vist whereas others on Besouro's list I frequently re-watch episodes.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime