Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How technologically advanced are Asgardians

Ran across a conversation at a different/random site the other day where someone asked if Asgardians could build a space ship.

This was answered w. a return question, which was, do they really need to, when they can travel by space goat?

Follow up question of my own.
    Who is the smartest Asgardian we’ve ever seen?

They used to have advanced science. But they are most often portrayed as medieval level.
    They even admire mortal's guns.

asgard.jpg
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Ran across a conversation at a different/random site the other day where someone asked if Asgardians could build a space ship.
    It's a bit like asking if a bald eagle can build a plane to fly like the Wright Brothers when evolution enabled it to fly far better than the Wright Brothers could ever achieved by themselves.

I mean they already are time and space masters and can move in the cosmos without space-suits. They have instant portal technology that takes them across multiple dimensions (Bifrost), and have mastered a cosmic level beyond simply going to some moon or other. They have established hegemony over several dimensions (realms) and can draw on technology and artifacts from multiple civilizations.

This was answered w. a return question, which was, do they really need to, when they can travel by space goat?
    Thor uses space goats but other Asgardians use personal mounts or floating Viking ships that are basically literal space ships.

It's hard to say. A lot of Asgardian technology and wonders was actually created by Non-Asgardians much like the Norse Myths (where the Norse Gods came off as exploitative scumbags who create nothing of their own) but Asgard established military and political hegemony over the Nine Realms all the same, so it's a bit like Ancient Rome (who never developed any mathematics and physics to speak of in the Latin language and borrowed ideas from civilizations it conquered).

I'd say Odin is the wisest because he's supposed to be and he did found and establish Asgard and made it into what it is. But in a scientific and technical sense, maybe Heimdall is the smartest, or Frigga (in the movies, definitely).

As for how Technologically advanced are Asgardians...I would say extremely advanced but at the same time they are an example of a civilization developing and advancing in an alternative manner to human civilization advancement. Biologically and evolutionarily speaking, human civilization and its advance wasn't some inevitable march from primitive societies to civilization, it was contingent and non-linear with a lot of zig-zags, eras which were more progressive than what followed and so on...it need not be considered a universal model whether in our world or in 616 Marvel.

The MCU's biggest missed opportunity: not enough space goats.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The MCU's biggest missed opportunity: not enough space goats.
    Set photos say that it's coming in the next movie.

When the MCU started, they essentially tried in the first two movies to present the Asgardians as scientifically and technologically so advanced that they might as well be Norse Gods...the third movie retconned them into being Norse Gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Set photos say that it's coming in the next movie.

When the MCU started, they essentially tried in the first two movies to present the Asgardians as scientifically and technologically so advanced that they might as well be Norse Gods...the third movie retconned them into being Norse Gods.
    Eh, it was still kind of inconsistent even in Ragnarok. Like, Hela was just the "Goddess of Death" because she was really good at killing people and then the planet blew up...in space.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Eh, it was still kind of inconsistent even in Ragnarok. Like, Hela was just the "Goddess of Death" because she was really good at killing people and then the planet blew up...in space.
    Well it's consistent to the Norse Myths that their Gods are the only ones in any mythology who don't have total immortality, they are born, live and die and they can be killed.

Ultimate Member

Kirby's Asgardians had a lot of advanced technology. They had super advanced weapons and the likes.

They seemed closer to New Gods than just super vikings back in the day.

That doesn't seem to be the case anymore in the comics at least.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

For all of their amazing technology, boy, they sure were giddy about getting their hands on M16s.

It just goes to show that while the Asgardians are extremely advanced in many ways due to both science and magic, they are very much a civilization and culture deeply -- and some might say willfully -- entrenched in "the old ways." True of most pantheons.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post

Follow up question of my own.
    Yes:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Starjammer_(Asgard)

Because goats can't carry a lot of cargo.

And probably Odin, but hes more cunning than brainy.

I would also note that the ones who went gaga over guns were the Einherjar, the once-mortal warriors of Valhalla. Grunts, in other words.

Even Skurge didn't pick up a gun until his magic axe was destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Well it's consistent to the Norse Myths that their Gods are the only ones in any mythology who don't have total immortality, they are born, live and die and they can be killed.
    I was under the impression that Odin had somehow cheated fate such that Ragnarok will never really happen. Is that still the case?

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Yes:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Starjammer_(Asgard)

Because goats can't carry a lot of cargo.

And probably Odin, but hes more cunning than brainy.
    I thought that I was the only one who remembered the space-faring Starjammer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

but do they have tooth brushes?
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I was under the impression that Odin had somehow cheated fate such that Ragnarok will never really happen. Is that still the case?
    Thor or Odin have prevented Ragnarok so many times, it's like a hobby.

"Ho hum, I'm bored... might as well prevent Ragnarok, and then take an Odinnap."

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I thought that I was the only one who remembered the space-faring Starjammer.
    I remember EVERYTHING.