Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default How much should Spider-Man's supporting cast be involved in fights and combat

Im basically asking how action oriented should Spider-Man's supporting cast should be against his villians and maybe marvels fights of all heroes, villians, and anti heroes. Batman and Ironman have there supporting cast beating up villians and regular crooks while the main leads are busy or in trouble themselves.

Should characters like MJ or Anna be spidey's next action supportw

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

With the exception of Silk(Assuming Miguel and Kaine don't count), I can't see any of Spideys supporting cast needing to be action orientated.

The support cast for spider-man already has an important role to play. They keep him level headed and his feet on the ground. They are there to care for him and be cared for by him, this is there role. I don't see how Aunt May or M.J. could possibly fight anyone anyway. Sounds kinda lame or just plain stupid.

First off, MJ is awesome, She knows Karate Kung Nin-Chick Fu; She can and does Kick Ass. Heck, She even has Her own set of Web Shooters and She knows how to use them.

MJ, Inspired by her complete collection of Batgirl/Oracle comic books will adopt the costumed Persona of Red Widow. She will watch over Spider-Man and secretly aid Him; Mostly by acquiring and manipulating information about criminal activities and occaisonally sneaking out of Her secret Widow Lair** at night to Widow Kick the living crap out of some bad guys. She will of course have her very own Arch Enemy. Anybody wanna Guess Who?

As for Anna Maria, Future ain't looking so good. Because people in comics don't just grieve and move on; Anna Maria is going to slowly descend into insanity from having to look at Peter's ugly mug every day while realizing that the Man she actually loves is gone.

At some point Anna Maria will come into possession of a copy of Otto's Mind. Desperate to be with Otto; She will figure out a way to download Ock into her own brain without suppressing her own personality. Unfortunately, This version of Doc Ock is uncorrupted by Peter's personality or memories and does not know or care who Anna is. This is the point at which Anna Maria snaps completely and builds her own Cybernetic Tentacles becoming the Supervillian known as A.N.O.C.K.(Annamaria 'N' Octavious Cybernetically Kombined)

**Located beneath MJ's Club.
    Last edited by Cosmic Spider; 08-24-2014 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Cause I'm too Sexy for this for this Thread.
    Life is the algorithm through which Goddess explores the infinite possibilities of Her own existence.

Fantastic Member

Depends.

I’m obviously fine with someone like Harry or Molten Man existing in both of Peter’s worlds because they have powers.

I can totally buy a character like Flash (well, classic Flash) as non-powered backup in the right situation.

A lot of Peter’s cop and reporter friends are going to pop up in Spider-Man’s world. Considering she’s packing heat, I think the average mugger would rather fight Spider-Man than Betty Brant.

Seeing MJ take out a would-be kidnapper or watching JJJ stand up to a villain is always satisfying.

While I prefer that she know Peter’s secret, Aunt May should be kept FAR away from the action; the only time that EVER worked was with Doc Ock. I still shake my head in dismay when I think about the time she poisoned the Chameleon or that silliness with the Vulture.

It makes sense for Batman and Iron Man to have supporting cast members doing a lot of fighting. Batman knows a lot of people in law enforcement, while Iron Man can always give weapons to his buddies.

It doesn't make as much sense for Spider-Man, since his powers aren't transferable, and his friends shouldn't be in situations where supervillains are targeting them.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It makes sense for Batman and Iron Man to have supporting cast members doing a lot of fighting. Batman knows a lot of people in law enforcement, while Iron Man can always give weapons to his buddies.

It doesn't make as much sense for Spider-Man, since his powers aren't transferable, and his friends shouldn't be in situations where supervillains are targeting them.
    Well they should at least know how to defend themselves when spidey isn't there or in a pickle himself. Since Peters a scientist, his cast should be fighters due to him getting villians involved into his life as a target as Peter Parker and his inventions.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heasensy32 View Post
    Well they should at least know how to defend themselves when spidey isn't there or in a pickle himself. Since Peters a scientist, his cast should be fighters due to him getting villians involved into his life as a target as Peter Parker and his inventions.
    Why? Only Anna, MJ and Cindy knows he's Spider-man, and Anna is the only one who would need protection since MJ has pretty much left. The only villain who knows spider-mans identity is the Jackal, and so far he doesn't seem like he cares.

Clearly people have forgotten that MJ has already has a few wins over some super villains under her belt. I'm not saying she should go out and fight crime, but she does have victories over The Swarm and the Chameleon. And she did shoot Norman Osborn.

Incredible Member

Aunt May did poison the Chameleon once.

JJJ was also the first Spider-Slayer.....

And, doh, Agent Venom(Flash Thompson).

No shortage of capable supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Spider View Post
    First off, MJ is awesome, She knows Karate Kung Nin-Chick Fu; She can and does Kick Ass. Heck, She even has Her own set of Web Shooters and She knows how to use them.

MJ, Inspired by her complete collection of Batgirl/Oracle comic books will adopt the costumed Persona of Red Widow. She will watch over Spider-Man and secretly aid Him; Mostly by acquiring and manipulating information about criminal activities and occaisonally sneaking out of Her secret Widow Lair** at night to Widow Kick the living crap out of some bad guys. She will of course have her very own Arch Enemy. Anybody wanna Guess Who?

As for Anna Maria, Future ain't looking so good. Because people in comics don't just grieve and move on; Anna Maria is going to slowly descend into insanity from having to look at Peter's ugly mug every day while realizing that the Man she actually loves is gone.

At some point Anna Maria will come into possession of a copy of Otto's Mind. Desperate to be with Otto; She will figure out a way to download Ock into her own brain without suppressing her own personality. Unfortunately, This version of Doc Ock is uncorrupted by Peter's personality or memories and does not know or care who Anna is. This is the point at which Anna Maria snaps completely and builds her own Cybernetic Tentacles becoming the Supervillian known as A.N.O.C.K.(Annamaria 'N' Octavious Cybernetically Kombined)

**Located beneath MJ's Club.
    Even if most of that was a joke, I'm pretty sure none of us will be surprised when Anna snaps, builds her own octopus tentacles and becomes Lady Octopus.

Fantastic Member

I recently was reminded of JJJ's role in the Inferno crossover. DO NOT mess with that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Clearly people have forgotten that MJ has already has a few wins over some super villains under her belt. I'm not saying she should go out and fight crime, but she does have victories over The Swarm and the Chameleon. And she did shoot Norman Osborn.
    And she helped take out that ex-KGB couple that were trying to get revenge on Peter and MJ because Richard and Mary put them away. MJ is a badass.

Then there's Betty Brant Leeds. I doubt the Vulture or Dreadkight will be stupid enough to mess with her again.

Lets face it, Peter has a type.

Granted there are exceptions. Deb doesn't strike me as good in a crisis. I was always a bit bothered by Gwen's lack of skills; you'd think a cop's kid would pick up some self defense.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by deadboy80 View Post
    The support cast for spider-man already has an important role to play. They keep him level headed and his feet on the ground. They are there to care for him and be cared for by him, this is there role. I don't see how Aunt May or M.J. could possibly fight anyone anyway. Sounds kinda lame or just plain stupid.

Mary Jane has handled herself quite well against Spider-Man villains in the past.

I do recall that she took down the Chameleon with a bat once and stood against Kaine when she thought he was going to kill her.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
    Then there's Betty Brant. I doubt the Vulture or Dreadkight will be stupid enough to mess with her again.

Lets face it, Peter has a type.
    I certainly would love to see Betty Brant in Peter's life once again. He does have a type: A woman who can take care of herself. And let's not forget Julia Carpenter whose now part of Spider-Man's world as Madam Web, Another one who could be transplanted into Peter's supporting cast is Dr. Veronica Chase, Greer Grant(NYPD Crime Scene Investigator), and Moira Mactaggert...

Just reading Superior #28... Loving the fact MJ dusted off her webshooters again.