Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

"People" aren't owed anything beyond what they paid for. Buying a movie ticket isn't a contract that entitles you to be entertained by that creator or creators for the rest of your life.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    So, when a movie opens who pays for the tickets? The ushers in the theaters? The theater owners that allowed a movie to be exhibited? No it's people. People pay tickets. Artists make movies for people to get excited and buzz about. So, ergo, they want to make movies for people to see.
    I'm not denying this.

But it's when he chooses to make a movie that we choose to watch it.

No one is owed anything here is my point.

Cameron is in his mid to late 60s (which in most other occupations is above retirement age) and has made two of the absolute biggest movies of all time. I'm not sure we should be expecting too much from him at this point.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    "People" aren't owed anything beyond what they paid for. Buying a movie ticket isn't a contract that entitles you to be entertained by that creator or creators for the rest of your life.
    Less a contract, more of an invitation

I think I need to change the title of this thread to "My Unreasonable Expectations."
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Yeah, I think Neil Gaiman's quote about fan expectations around George R.R. Martin applies here, "George R.R. Martin(in this case James Cameron) is not your B@#&!"

Well, if you're not making movies or shows for an audience of fans then who? Then you're turning into that person that does air guitar in front of the mirror and being the only person that gets enjoyment out of it. People like Cameron chose to be in an industry that deals heavily with people and fans. So, yes, they do owe us, because without peoples butts in seats going to see their shows they wouldn't have a career or living in their gigantic homes. We go to movies not to be pests but because we enjoy the work.
    What movies has he made that people don't want to see?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    What movies has he made that people don't want to see?
    Well, none when they're released but hindsight is 20/20. Look at Titanic. Teenage girls and others saw the movie multiple times, but if you look at the plot, oh boy. The characters are cookie cutter and the love story is really weak. Plus Billy Zane is a mustachioed villain without the moustache

Well, none when they're released but hindsight is 20/20. Look at Titanic. Teenage girls and others saw the movie multiple times, but if you look at the plot, oh boy. The characters are cookie cutter and the love story is really weak. Plus Billy Zane is a mustachioed villain without the moustache
    So are you complaining that he doesn't make enough movies or you don't like the ones he does?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So are you complaining that he doesn't make enough movies or you don't like the ones he does?
    Well, that he doesn't make enough. HIs output is small.

Don't really get why anything "happened" to Cameron. Kinda feel like his hellish determination to strip mine Avatar (which I think was never a good movie in the first place) is on the misguided spectrum of things (and his hot take on Wonder Woman was pretty bad), but, hey; he's worked a long time and had plenty of success. If it makes him happy to spend the next phase of his career making more movies about cat aliens doing the Dances With Wolves in space thing, he's not harming anyone and those who don't want to watch them don't have to.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Well, if you're not making movies or shows for an audience of fans then who? Then you're turning into that person that does air guitar in front of the mirror and being the only person that gets enjoyment out of it. People like Cameron chose to be in an industry that deals heavily with people and fans. So, yes, they do owe us, because without peoples butts in seats going to see their shows they wouldn't have a career or living in their gigantic homes. We go to movies not to be pests but because we enjoy the work.
    While I'm not saying you are kooked?

What you said there is one of the most kooky things I have ever heard someone attempt to assert.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Don't really get why anything "happened" to Cameron. Kinda feel like his hellish determination to strip mine Avatar (which I think was never a good movie in the first place) is on the misguided spectrum of things (and his hot take on Wonder Woman was pretty bad), but, hey; he's worked a long time and had plenty of success. If it makes him happy to spend the next phase of his career making more movies about cat aliens doing the Dances With Wolves in space thing, he's not harming anyone and those who don't want to watch them don't have to.
    I think some may still be sad that Avatar took the record back from Endgame but it is not like anyone did not see this coming.
    Avatar and more so, Titanic is the perfect definition of a movie with astonishing film making. The love story was not week, it was passionate, convincing and fated considering the short span of 4 days.

Honestly when Jack was dying and he told Rose that ... winning the ticket was the best thing that ever happened to him because it brought him to her. That is in my top 5 most heart wrenching love speeches of all time.

Zane was not a moustached villain either but a well calculated psychotic abusive boyfriend who still had a soft side dimension.

Him and Rose may have been perfect for each other if Rose was not such a big coming of age woman that needed her freedom and he was not such an abusive douchebag.
    Last edited by Castle; 06-27-2021 at 03:54 AM.

Well, that he doesn't make enough. HIs output is small.
    Lemme see if I have this straight...

something like -

While I am complaining about how weak some of this guys films are? He really needs to keep cranking them out.

Because it's essentially like inviting a vampire into your home. Now, you gotta crank a movie out just because you screwed up and started making them in the first place.
    If I have that anywhere close to "Right!..."?

So much of it just does not add up.

Well, if you're not making movies or shows for an audience of fans then who? Then you're turning into that person that does air guitar in front of the mirror and being the only person that gets enjoyment out of it.
    Your understand of what art means to an artist is, in the politest possible way, pretty uninformed and lacking (any) real knowledge of the entertainment field. I'm quietly confident in saying Cameron directs because he loves to direct. Your involvement in what he loves it utterly irrelevant to him.

People like Cameron chose to be in an industry that deals heavily with people and fans.
    True. But just because fans and people are an unavoidable part of the medium (some could even say a necessary evil) that doesn't mean the film makers and actors are indebted to them, or owe them anything. People watching the movies is not why artists make art. Most chefs cook because they love cooking, not because people eat their food.

So, yes, they do owe us, because without peoples butts in seats going to see their shows they wouldn't have a career or living in their gigantic homes. We go to movies not to be pests but because we enjoy the work.
    No, they don't. You're just wrong. James Cameron doesn't owe you anything. You and James Cameron's transaction was complete. You paid money to see his film, and he provided you ample entertainment for your monetary purchase. That is where the contract ends, because that was the extent of the transaction. You paid for something, you got it. End. Of. ANYTHING after that is not owed to you, because you didn't pay for it, because your investment of money and time was solely for the product you received.

Put it this way, if someone pays for a meal, and is given the meal. And happily eats the meal. Telling their friends how WONDERFUL this meal they just ate was... and after that transaction is complete, and many hours pass... comes hammering on the chef's door at 3am, greedily demanding another course, righteously proclaiming that because they bought ONE meal, now all future meals are owed to them by the chef... would you think a) what a reasonable, normal response by a person who is clearly a delight to be around. Or would you think b) eeeeek, that guy needs to tone it down, this is not reasonable!

Come on. Purchasing something doesn't make people indebted to you, because you got what you paid for. McDonalds doesn't owe you anything because you bought a Big Mac. Calvin Klein doesn't owe you anything because you bought a pair of their underwear. And James Cameron doesn't owe you anything because you paid to see one of his movies. Not a thing. Not a cent. Not one second of his time or thought does he owe you.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-27-2021 at 04:15 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I think some may still be sad that Avatar took the record back from Endgame but it is not like anyone did not see this coming.
    Why do we care about that? I mean, the stuff that failed to dethrone Avatar has been showing more signs of actually having staying power. In the case of Marvel Studios, seeing how their movies have allowed them to make more then Avatar itself did, I'd be surprised if the executives are weeping too much over it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)