Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    And again, Nolan makes a movie every 3 years. He's not doing it "just because" but because he y'know...enjoys making movies? And having the audience experience his films. Unlike Cameron who has lived off of 2 movies the past 24 years.
    They’re at very different stages of their careers.

And vastly different ages.

Cameron has been doing stuff (documentaries) and the likes but no blockbuster movies.

Here is a list of his credits as Producer since Avatar. Doesn't look like he's been absent from film.

The Six (Documentary) (executive producer)
    2021 Secrets of the Whales (TV Mini Series documentary) (executive producer)
    2020 Akashinga: The Brave Ones (Documentary short) (executive producer)
    2019 Terminator: Dark Fate (producer - produced by, p.g.a.)
    2019 Alita: Battle Angel (producer - produced by)
    2018 James Cameron's Story of Science Fiction (TV Mini Series documentary) (executive producer - 5 episodes)
    - Intelligent Machines (2018) ... (executive producer)
    - Time Travel (2018) ... (executive producer)
    - Dark Futures (2018) ... (executive producer)
    - Space Exploration (2018) ... (executive producer)
    - Alien Life (2018) ... (executive producer)
    2018 The Game Changers (Documentary) (executive producer)
    2017 Titanic: 20 Years Later with James Cameron (TV Movie documentary) (executive producer)
    2017 What Would the Ocean Say? (Documentary short) (executive producer)
    2017 Atlantis Rising (TV Movie documentary) (executive producer)
    2016 Toruk: The First Flight (TV Movie) (collaborating producer)
    2014-2016 Years of Living Dangerously (TV Series documentary) (executive producer - 17 episodes)
    - Uprising (2016) ... (executive producer)
    - Safe Passage (2016) ... (executive producer)
    - Priceless (2016) ... (executive producer)
    - Collapse of the Oceans (2016) ... (executive producer)
    - Fueling the Fire (2016) ... (executive producer)
    Show all 17 episodes
    2015 Beyond Glory (executive producer)
    2015 JonTron (TV Series) (executive producer - 1 episode)
    - Titenic: The JonSong (Ft. Schmoyoho) (2015) ... (executive producer - credit only)
    2014 Deepsea Challenge (Documentary) (executive producer)
    2012 Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away (executive producer)
    2012 Titanic: The Final Word with James Cameron (TV Movie documentary) (executive producer)
    2011 Sanctum (executive producer)
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Just because a person makes a movie, that doesn't mean they're now obligated to keep making movies for the rest of their lives.

If it was me and I had made a fortune off of TITANIC, I would fall out of civilization--go live on a private island and have a good life. Cameron is clearly a nerdy kind of guy who likes to invent stuff and movies scratch some of that itch, but there are a lot of other things he could do with his fortune.

It's creepy how some fans only want artists to serve them and if the artist decides to do something else with their life then they're no good.
    Well, that comes with the territory. By making these movies, you end up building a fan base. Just what happens. And they become eager to see what comes next. So, an artist does work for themselves and the fans. Plenty of them out there that do work for fans.

Well, that comes with the territory. By making these movies, you end up building a fan base. Just what happens. And they become eager to see what comes next. So, an artist does work for themselves and the fans. Plenty of them out there that do work for fans.
    He doesn't owe his fans anything but his best work on the films he does make.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    He also works very closely with the film industry to see how he can improve many things about it from an art place. For instance I know he only tries to make some films when he feels the technology is available.
    This is true. Most of the time he is actually inventing new cameras. Avatar 2 needed a new kind of camera to achieve the fluidity of the story being underwater without looking too CGI. That takes time.

He's doing what he likes and is not in a rush to make a hasty cash grab that could taint his record? It's not his obligation to hurry to direct or write another movie. I think it's good that he thinks things more thoroughly, otherwise we'd actually get his weird Spider-Man movie instead of getting the Sam Raimi classics.

Speaking of Avatar, 2009 was an interesting year in Sam Worthington's career, cause no other actor can say they've been in both a James Cameron directed movie AND a sequel to a James Cameron movie that were both released in the same year. Not even Arnold Schwarzenegger and Signourney Weaver can say they've had that exact same experience.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    He's doing what he likes and is not in a rush to make a hasty cash grab that could taint his record? It's not his obligation to hurry to direct or write another movie. I think it's good that he thinks things more thoroughly, otherwise we'd actually get his weird Spider-Man movie instead of getting the Sam Raimi classics.

Speaking of Avatar, 2009 was an interesting year in Sam Worthington's career, cause no other actor can say they've been in both a James Cameron directed movie AND a sequel to a James Cameron movie that were both released in the same year. Not even Arnold Schwarzenegger and Signourney Weaver can say they've had that exact same experience.
    Whatever happened to Sam Worthington?

It seemed Hollywood were determined to turn him into a superstar until it just....stopped.

Let me stop you right there, because I really think you need to hear this. James Cameron doesn't owe you anything. Not a thing. I'm going to say it one more time, because I really need you to understand this: James Cameron doesn't. Owe you. ANYTHING! And if that's where your arguement of 'why has he not made more movies' comes from it's an arguement that has no grounds for justification. He can choose to never make another movie again and if that is what he wants, if that is what will make him happy... your thoughts, or thoughts of any other fan is not only irrelevant but (kinda) rude to demand an audience of attention, to instill yourself in his aspirations and wishes.

YES, fans can be wonderful. YES, fans can really help people's success when starting out and building momentum and all that good stuff, but James Cameron came up through movies before social media. He got where he was through hard work (I'm sure many knocks) and over decades built up a respect within his own community (in this case, the entertainment industry) of making successful films, of making good films, of making praised films. That got him bigger budgets, which lead to bigger projects, and so on and so on. That's on him. He did that! He was not made by a rabid fanbase, he was made by creating great films. His talent built him. He does not owe you anything. You don't know why he makes films, he might make them just for him, the fact others want to watch them is a bonus, but his art is for his own joy of cinema. He might make them because he's just really good at it, and over time his youthful passion is waning so his need to be 'in the spotlight' yearly is non-existent. We don't know.

If you enjoy his work, go rewatch it. He has plenty; you'll have countless hours of joy from them. But he is under no obligation to ever make films on your time frame, or other fans time frame. He should make films when he damn well chooses. Fandom really needs to stop thinking because they enjoy something they have ownership of it, or a right to decide how someone proceeds. By all means say "I'm sad he's not made more movies", that I totally understand... but that's not what you are doing. You are being so dismissive of his other projects, because it's not 'what you specifically want' which is not the attitude of a fan. You aren't showing respect for him as a person, or as a producer, or an adventurer and explorer and innovative film maker. Producing is a HARD job, and maybe he loves it more than the stress of directing, of the all consuming nature of directing? Maybe he's using his wealth and expertise to give others a chance to become the next him, by helping guide their projects. You don't know.

Sorry to come off harsh, but your dismissive indignity is very misplaced. And shouldn't go unchecked, because if we tolerate such crazed fan 'ownership' of someone, we can end up in very dark places. So take a breath, re-evaluate what you want, and embrace the fact because YOU want something doesn't mean someone else is required/obligated to deliver it. At all.
    #truthbomboflove
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-25-2021 at 12:05 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Whatever happened to Sam Worthington?

It seemed Hollywood were determined to turn him into a superstar until it just....stopped.
    That's an interesting question. From last decade all I've seen him in are Hacksaw Ridge and The Titan, and he did a good job in both of them. I haven't seen or heard much of him.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Worthington is in all the Avatar sequels. His IMDB page looks like he took time off after 2018 but has a lot of movies in the works.

He also cameo'ed/guest starred on Entourage -- not as exciting as diving into the Marianas Trench, but arguably better lunches on set
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

I'm only considering movies that he actually directed not produced as was this case with Battle Angel. He just slapped his name on there to get butts in seats but had nothing to do with the production.
    Did you research this, at all, before saying this? Specifically in regards to Alita: Battle Angel?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Let me stop you right there, because I really think you need to hear this. James Cameron doesn't owe you anything. Not a thing. I'm going to say it one more time, because I really need you to understand this: James Cameron doesn't. Owe you. ANYTHING! And if that's where your arguement of 'why has he not made more movies' comes from it's an arguement that has no grounds for justification. He can choose to never make another movie again and if that is what he wants, if that is what will make him happy... your thoughts, or thoughts of any other fan is not only irrelevant but (kinda) rude to demand an audience of attention, to instill yourself in his aspirations and wishes.

YES, fans can be wonderful. YES, fans can really help people's success when starting out and building momentum and all that good stuff, but James Cameron came up through movies before social media. He got where he was through hard work (I'm sure many knocks) and over decades built up a respect within his own community (in this case, the entertainment industry) of making successful films, of making good films, of making praised films. That got him bigger budgets, which lead to bigger projects, and so on and so on. That's on him. He did that! He was not made by a rabid fanbase, he was made by creating great films. His talent built him. He does not owe you anything. You don't know why he makes films, he might make them just for him, the fact others want to watch them is a bonus, but his art is for his own joy of cinema. He might make them because he's just really good at it, and over time his youthful passion is waning so his need to be 'in the spotlight' yearly is non-existent. We don't know.

If you enjoy his work, go rewatch it. He has plenty; you'll have countless hours of joy from them. But he is under no obligation to ever make films on your time frame, or other fans time frame. He should make films when he damn well chooses. Fandom really needs to stop thinking because they enjoy something they have ownership of it, or a right to decide how someone proceeds. By all means say "I'm sad he's not made more movies", that I totally understand... but that's not what you are doing. You are being so dismissive of his other projects, because it's not 'what you specifically want' which is not the attitude of a fan. You aren't showing respect for him as a person, or as a producer, or an adventurer and explorer and innovative film maker. Producing is a HARD job, and maybe he loves it more than the stress of directing, of the all consuming nature of directing? Maybe he's using his wealth and expertise to give others a chance to become the next him, by helping guide their projects. You don't know.

Sorry to come off harsh, but your dismissive indignity is very misplaced. And shouldn't go unchecked, because if we tolerate such crazed fan 'ownership' of someone, we can end up in very dark places. So take a breath, re-evaluate what you want, and embrace the fact because YOU want something doesn't mean someone else is required/obligated to deliver it. At all.
    #truthbomboflove
    Well, if you're not making movies or shows for an audience of fans then who? Then you're turning into that person that does air guitar in front of the mirror and being the only person that gets enjoyment out of it. People like Cameron chose to be in an industry that deals heavily with people and fans. So, yes, they do owe us, because without peoples butts in seats going to see their shows they wouldn't have a career or living in their gigantic homes. We go to movies not to be pests but because we enjoy the work.

Ultimate Member

Well, if you're not making movies or shows for an audience of fans then who? Then you're turning into that person that does air guitar in front of the mirror and being the only person that gets enjoyment out of it. People like Cameron chose to be in an industry that deals heavily with people and fans. So, yes, they do owe us, because without peoples butts in seats going to see their shows they wouldn't have a career or living in their gigantic homes. We go to movies not to be pests but because we enjoy the work.
    What exactly does Cameron owe? If he doesn't want to make movies, then thats the end of it.

He's always made the projects he wants and thats exactly what he's doing.

Suggesting that he owes his fans "something" is flat out wrong. That means that his fans somehow have control over him and his work which has all sort of uncomfortable connotations.

This is very simple, as a fan you aren't owed anything. Cameron isn't owed anything either. You pay to watch what he's produced and don't watch what you don't want. Cameron doesn't owe fans no more than you as a fan owe him box office revenue.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    What exactly does Cameron owe? If he doesn't want to make movies, then thats the end of it.

He's always made the projects he wants and thats exactly what he's doing.

Suggesting that he owes his fans "something" is flat out wrong. That means that his fans somehow have control over him and his work which has all sort of uncomfortable connotations.

This is very simple, as a fan you aren't owed anything. Cameron isn't owed anything either. You pay to watch what he's produced and don't watch what you don't want. Cameron doesn't owe fans no more than you as a fan owe him box office revenue.
    So, when a movie opens who pays for the tickets? The ushers in the theaters? The theater owners that allowed a movie to be exhibited? No it's people. People pay tickets. Artists make movies for people to get excited and buzz about. So, ergo, they want to make movies for people to see.