Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Title: The Batman Adventures

• Writer: Kelly Puckett

• Year: 1992

• Title: The Batman & Robin Adventures

• Writer: Dini/Templeton

• Year: 1995

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    It was when I was REALLY invested in the medium.
    Through the 90's I was buying every Bat title, Flash, GL, GA, JLA, Aquaman PLUS all the other off the wall stuff like Hitman, Hourman, Young Heroes in Love, Major Bummer, Chronos etc.
    And that doesn't even touch upon the Vertigo and Elseworlds stuff!

There was a lot of crap in the 90's, pouches, shiny variant covers, nude variants, but jeez there was also some absolute GEMS too. Not just from DC either.
    Marvel was releasing some great stuff during their Chapter 11 days and then there was Image (Savage Dragon & Spawn) and Valiant titles as well.
    Great list of comic-book companies, but don't forget Dark Horse and their Legend! imprint:

Scott Lobdell's Red Hood and the Outlaws Rebirth (at least up to issue 25).

Boisterously Confused

Even today O'Neil's work on Batman stands up as one of the greats. Miller gets a ton of buzz, but O'Neil took an about-to-cancel parody of a character and reminded everyone how great the concept was.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Even today O'Neil's work on Batman stands up as one of the greats. Miller gets a ton of buzz, but O'Neil took an about-to-cancel parody of a character and reminded everyone how great the concept was.
    Absolutely. There have been many great runs but it was O誰eil that provided the basis for everything that came after his. Without his run none of the following ones, especially DKR/Year One, would have been possible. Before O誰eil/Adams, Batman was never a self-serious character. He was very dark in his earliest appearances but, after that, in the Golden and Silver ages, he was always happy-go-lucky.

• Title: Young Heroes in Love

• Writer: Dan Raspler

• Year: 1997

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Absolutely. There have been many great runs but it was O’Neil that provided the basis for everything that came after his. Without his run none of the following ones, especially DKR/Year One, would have been possible. Before O’Neil/Adams, Batman was never a self-serious character. He was very dark in his earliest appearances but, after that, in the Golden and Silver ages, he was always happy-go-lucky.
    Very true. He also returned the Joker to his original, frightening self.

Apologies for not responding to quotes, it's been too hot up here in the North West to want to log on. The temperature right now is on par with Egypt, crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I love this run so much and a few other Batbook issues from around this time.
    I won't spoil things with Ted. He's not on the core team, but he does have a ather important role later in the story and in the annual/special issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Title: Batgirl Vol. 3
    Writer: Bryan Q. Miller
    Okay thanks on the Ted Kord tip.
    If you haven稚 read it already the first Batgirl series featuring Cassandra Cain in 2001 is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    George Perez's run from 1987-1992 probably.
    What hero btw?
    Ah the great George Perez, I always viewed him more as an artist though. If I read a Wonder Woman run I think I値l go with Rucka.

The hero, Vic Sage The Question.
    (I know not exactly the biggest name, but outside of Hal Jordan, I知 cursed in that all my favourite heroes are not part of the big six...which means....they get killed off and replaced)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Writers: Giffen (Plots) & DeMatteis (Scripts)
    Series: Justice League (International)
    Year: 1987
    A classic! Though dare I say (unpopular opinion) I kind of liked the Len Wien Blue Beetle before the Bwa Ha! Ha! era

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Here's one from the 1970s (although I understand all the 1990s love).
    Justice League of America 139-146, 149-150
    Writer: Steve Englehart
    Year: 1977
    Growing up watching Saturday morning cartoons, (Superfriends/Superpowers) I don稚 think there will ever be a JLA as good as the satellite era....but then again, I知 a old head now.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Absolutely. There have been many great runs but it was O誰eil that provided the basis for everything that came after his. Without his run none of the following ones, especially DKR/Year One, would have been possible. Before O誰eil/Adams, Batman was never a self-serious character. He was very dark in his earliest appearances but, after that, in the Golden and Silver ages, he was always happy-go-lucky.
    Denny O Niel is pure legend, and in my opinion is in the running for DC痴 all time greatest writer. (Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Batman, The Question, Nightwing and so much more) I think he did Azreal though?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Suicide Squad
    Writer: John Ostrander
    Year:1987

If you want a TRUE and actual good Suicide Squad experience read this run. It is 66 issues but all of it is collected in 8 volumes.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Suicide Squad
    Writer: John Ostrander
    Year:1987

If you want a TRUE and actual good Suicide Squad experience read this run. It is 66 issues but all of it is collected in 8 volumes.
    Yeah, I'd say literally the only good Suicide Squad run unless you stretch the definition of "run" (there may have been a few decent issues here and there by other writers.)

It's vexing since (a) it seems like it would be easy to write Suicide Squad and (b) Marvel has gotten more good runs out of the Thunderbolts (which probably is a copycat idea of the Suicide Squad).

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    YES! My favorite Shazam series.
    Really? You've never read Billy Batson and the Power of Shazam? That's untouchable (in my humble opinion, of course).

Sandy
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Really? You've never read Billy Batson and the Power of Shazam? That's untouchable (in my humble opinion, of course).

Sandy
    A very entertaining series but Power of Shazam will always be my definitive take on the character : )
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Gerry Conway - The Fury of Firestorm
    61Nf3-yM+5L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Garth Ennis - Hitman

unnamed.jpg