Default What happened to First Comics?

I've read what is available online regarding First Comics, but I couldn't get a good sense of why they went out of business. It looked like they had some unique titles, were they just never able to reach the sales needed to stay afloat?

Essentially they spent a lot of capital trying to create the infrastructure to get distribution of their Classics Illustrated line to mainstream markets where they believed it would sell much better, leaving them cash strapped and non-liquid, and ran low on operating capital before they could recoup the investment in that line. That led to being unable to pay creators, rent, and other operating expenses in the short term and resulted in them closing down.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Astonishing Member

First Comics had some great runs and I like how they had a shared multiverse through Grimjack's Cynosure. Essentially, it was a shared multiverse with all company comics and had a cameos from Superman, Space Ghost, Teen Mutant Ninja Turtles, Cerebus, Wolverine, Usagi Yojimbo and others.