Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default The Other History of the DC Universe #5 Preview

The Other History of the DC Universe #5 Preview (Unlettered)
    Writer: John Ridley
    Artists: Giuseppe Camuncoli and Andrea Cucchi

Here comes the next generation .

You know after this I actually really hope that dc would consider giving Ridley a series (it can be a mini) about the Black Lightning family. He wrote Jefferson really well in the first issue and I’m liking what I see here in terms of getting Thunder as a character and her history.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    You know after this I actually really hope that dc would consider giving Ridley a series (it can be a mini) about the Black Lightning family. He wrote Jefferson really well in the first issue and I’m liking what I see here in terms of getting Thunder as a character and her history.
    Would be a great idea. Issues 1 and 2 were my favorites (really loved Mal's and Karen's story). I'm really excited to see how Ridley will tell Thunder's perspective of things.

Extraordinary Member

The Other History of the DC Universe #5 Preview (Lettered)

The cover isn't bad but it's odd to have Anissa generating lightning when that isn't her power.

That's two bombshells...poor Jefferson .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    The Other History of the DC Universe #5 Preview (Lettered)

Incredible.

I also really want Ridley to write Black Lightning book off the strength of that first issue. Or the Outsiders.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The cover isn't bad but it's odd to have Anissa generating lightning when that isn't her power.
    That’s a good question

Astonishing Member

It looks like they confused the powerests of Black Lighting's daughters.

I feel like in past Outsiders comics they’ve added electric outlines to her, I don’t think it’s been as powerful as her fathers but I’m positive it’s been there

Edit: best example I could find via google

Edit: here’s another one from Outsiders, where she gets mad because her father is in prison. So it appears she can do it for effect.

Last edited by sifighter; 07-24-2021 at 08:07 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    It looks like they confused the powerests of Black Lighting's daughters.
    Come on, it's clearly Jeff making his kid look cool. :P

Yeah, it's a mistake... But it looks so damn good.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

It looks cool... if you've never seen artwork of a comic book character generating lightning/other types of sparkling energy from their eyes. At the 100 millionth time, it just becomes lazy and unimaginative.

God forbid a 2nd generations heroine can have a different powerset than her parent-- a powerset, by the way, which in the hands of a capable writer would potentially make her the American comic equivalent of Whitebeard from ONE PIECE (increase your density up to a certain level and you can literally warp reality). But no! Your father has electric powers? You also get electric powers! A Black superhero with control over lightning is such an underutilized concept, after all!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    It looks cool... if you've never seen artwork of a comic book character generating lightning/other types of sparkling energy from their eyes. At the 100 millionth time, it just becomes lazy and unimaginative.

God forbid a 2nd generations heroine can have a different powerset than her parent-- a powerset, by the way, which in the hands of a capable writer would potentially make her the American comic equivalent of Whitebeard from ONE PIECE (increase your density up to a certain level and you can literally warp reality). But no! Your father has electric powers? You also get electric powers! A Black superhero with control over lightning is such an underutilized concept, after all!
    Anissa having lightning powers is a bizarre oversight from DC editorial, considering she was always depicted with density manipulation.

Jennifer is the one with electricity powers, though she might be closer to Monica Rambeau from Marvel if writers actually USED her and her power set to their full potential.

Wouldn't the Whitebeard equivalent of DC be Vibe, since their power sets are based on vibration manipulation?