Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Just saw Full Metal Jacket for the first time and there was a character named the Joker that had a peace sign button that he always wear on his jacket. I wonder if this could have been an inspiration for Alan Moore's Comedian in the Watchmen? But that movie was very offensive. It definitely wouldn't be made today. But I thought it was pretty good. And I was shocked that a scene in the movie was sampled by 2 live Crew in their song Me So H....

Full Metal Jacket, 1987
    The Watchmen, 1986

So no, unless Moore is a time traveler. The two characters also have nothing in common except being in Vietnam.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It took me a long time to realize that Gary Oldman was probably on "Friends" because he and LeBlanc were in "Lost in Space" together. Friends was so big and always had random big name stars, so it didn't occur to me there'd be some other connection.
    Everyone probably knows about the Lisa Kudrow 'Mad About You' connection.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It took me a long time to realize that Gary Oldman was probably on "Friends" because he and LeBlanc were in "Lost in Space" together. Friends was so big and always had random big name stars, so it didn't occur to me there'd be some other connection.
    Bruce Willis and Matthew Perry co-starred in The Whole Nine Yards, and made a bet as to how well the movie would do. Willis thought it would tank, but it was #1 at the box office for a spell, so Willis did a stint on Friends.

And then he won an Emmy for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series.

Astonishing Member

I just realized a few years ago, maybe two or three, that Friends was a successful series and has Fans all over the world.

I watch one episode and wondered what makes it so appealling?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    Just saw Full Metal Jacket for the first time and there was a character named the Joker that had a peace sign button that he always wear on his jacket. I wonder if this could have been an inspiration for Alan Moore's Comedian in the Watchmen? But that movie was very offensive. It definitely wouldn't be made today. But I thought it was pretty good. And I was shocked that a scene in the movie was sampled by 2 live Crew in their song Me So H....
    People really need to stop saying this. Movies with "offensive" material still get made today.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    People really need to stop saying this. Movies with "offensive" material still get made today.
    I agree, I don't see anything in Full Metal Jacket that wouldn't be done today.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

The same people say Blazing Saddles could never get made now.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    The same people say Blazing Saddles could never get made now.
    I mean that list includes Mel Brooks himself...and I don't think he's wrong. I really can't see a studio green lighting that script in the current climate...heck the studio didn't want to allow Brooks to use the N-word as much as he did in 1974 and nearly scuttled the picture then.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 07-15-2021 at 05:08 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    For obscure connections you didn't know about originally, but suddenly it clicked.

For example, the two actors to play Jarvis were 2nd and 3rd leads in Master and Commander The Far Side Of The World. I had no idea until tonight.
    Huh. I'd recognized each, but didnt put them together as Jarvis, and now feel somewhat dimwitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Full Metal Jacket, 1987
    The Watchmen, 1986

So no, unless Moore is a time traveler. The two characters also have nothing in common except being in Vietnam.
    Well, taking The Doctor as a guide, Moore being a time traveler would explain some of his eccentricity.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I mean that list includes Mel Brooks himself...and I don't think he's wrong. I really can't see a studio green lighting that script in the current climate...heck the studio didn't want to allow Brooks to use the N-word as much as he did in 1974 and nearly scuttled the picture then.
    I respect Mel, but I disagree. Tarantino made two movies back to back where the N-Word was said like 100 times. The second also had gore, male rape, and a woman getting hit in the face for laughs.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I respect Mel, but I disagree. Tarantino made two movies back to back where the N-Word was said like 100 times. The second also had gore, male rape, and a woman getting hit in the face for laughs.
    And just like Mel Brooks in the late 60's early 70's, Tarintino is a guy with a lot of pull and even he had to fight tooth and nail to get those made the way they were threatening to walk if they didn't let him do it his way. Most directors don't have that clout so yeah it's a fairly true statement.

David Harbour and Olga Kurlenkyo from BLACK WIDOW were both in QUANTUM OF SOLACE although they don't share any scenes together and Harbour's character is totally different from Alexei (If anything he looks a bit like Ned Flanders from the Simpsons). In addition Rachel Weisz is married to Daniel Craig in real life.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    And just like Mel Brooks in the late 60's early 70's, Tarantino is a guy with a lot of pull and even he had to fight tooth and nail to get those made the way they were threatening to walk if they didn't let him do it his way. Most directors don't have that clout so yeah it's a fairly true statement.
    And yet those movies got made which is my point. I mean, sure...public mores change and things that were acceptable or unacceptable swing back and forth over time. And big companies will follow whatever way the wind blows. But there isn't some moratorium against every and all things "offensive". Thirty years ago you wouldn't have seen TV shows and cartoons where Batman characters say things like ****, **** and ****. And don't get me started on all these edgy You Tube and social media who deliberately say racist and sexist jokes under the guise of being "ironic".

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

You've just reminded me why I don't like most Tarantino movies.