BANNED

Default Defining the Spider-Team Dynamic, Beyond Mentorship

https://www.deviantart.com/lucwiz50/...ends-821276105

A recurring topic on this board is the undefined interpersonal dynamic between the Spider characters, with some using this as a justification for the argument that the redundancy that results from not having this defined dynamic means that the other Spider-characters should stay in their own universes--where they would essentially not be interacting with the mainstream versions of heroes people care about. I'm concerned this could hurt the long-term diversity of the Spider franchise, so I'd like to discuss potential dynamics.

Since these characters should serve as foils to Peter Parker, I'd like to take a look at this qualities and how the other Spiders could compliment those qualities.

On the surface, I don't think Peter is a leader in the vein of Captain America or Cyclops, where he can bark orders and strategies out. If he's going to be the leader in any scenario, it's likely going to be for his intelligence, not an affinity for command.

There are other franchises built around a knowledgeable "Donatello"-type (as opposed to the other turtles). These include the Fantastic Four, Uncharted, Sherlock Holmes, etc.

Looking at the Fantastic Four, if Peter is a combination of Reed Richards (intelligence) and Johnny Storm (humor), that still leaves Ben Grimm and Sue Storm. I could see Miles developing more into a Ben Grimm-type, John McClane-type every man to contrast with Peter. I'm not talking about deformity, I'm talking about how Ben has his own brand of humor, is more social, and is more of an archetypal New Yorker than the others. From Wikipedia:

Born on Yancy Street in New York City's Lower East Side, to a Jewish[10] family, Benjamin Jacob "Ben" Grimm had an early life of poverty and hardship, shaping him into a tough, streetwise scrapper. His older brother Daniel, whom Ben idolized, was killed in a street gang fight when Ben was eight years old. This portion of his own life is modeled on that of Jack Kirby, who grew up on tough Delancey Street, whose brother died when he was young, whose father was named Benjamin, and who was named Jacob at birth.[11] Following the death of his parents, Ben was raised by his Uncle Jake (who had married a much younger wife, Petunia, who would become a frequent reference used by the character until her death[12]).[13] He comes to lead the Yancy Street gang at one point.[14]

Excelling in football as a high school student, Ben received a full scholarship to Empire State University, where he first met his eventual lifelong friend in a teenaged genius named Reed Richards, as well as future enemy Victor von Doom.[15] Despite their being from radically different backgrounds, science student Richards described to Grimm his dream of building a space rocket to explore the regions of space around Mars; Grimm jokingly agreed to fly that rocket when the day came.

The details of his life story have been modified over the decades. Prior to the stories published in the 1970s, Grimm, after earning multiple advanced degrees in engineering,[volume & issue needed] served in the United States Marine Corps as a test pilot during World War II.[16] These exploits are chronicled to a limited extent in Captain Savage and his Leatherneck Raiders #7. While in the military, Nick Fury sends him, Logan and Carol Danvers on a top secret surveillance mission into Vladivostok.[17] Following this, he becomes an astronaut for NASA,[volume & issue needed] taking part in attempts to reach the Moon, occurring at a time before any manned space ship had escaped Earth's orbit.[18]

. . .

In keeping with an early taboo in the comic superhero world against revealing a character's religion,[citation needed] the fact that Grimm was Jewish was not explicitly revealed until four decades after his creation, in the story "Remembrance of Things Past" in Fantastic Four vol. 3, #56 (Aug. 2002). In this story, Grimm returns to his old neighborhood to find Mr. Sheckerberg, a pawn shop owner he had known as a child. Flashbacks during this story reveal Grimm's Jewish heritage. He recites the Shema, an important Jewish prayer often recited, over the dying Sheckerberg, who eventually recovers.[10] In a later story, Grimm agrees to celebrate his Bar Mitzvah, since it has been 13 years, the age a Jewish boy celebrates his Bar Mitzvah, since he began his "second life" as the Thing. To celebrate the ceremony, Grimm organizes a poker tournament for every available superhero in the Marvel Universe.[19]

. . .

Some personality traits of the cantankerously lovable, occasionally cigar-smoking, Jewish native of the Lower East Side are popularly recognized as having been inspired by those of co-creator Jack Kirby, who in interviews has said he intended Grimm to be an alter ego of himself.

. . .

The Thing is generally well liked by other heroes within the Marvel universe. Grimm's relationship with his teammates has been a close but occasionally edgy one given his temper. He and Johnny Storm (the Human Torch) often argue and clash but they do respect each other.

. . .

Grimm is best friends with Reed Richards, whom he addresses with the nickname "Stretch", due to Richards' natural height and his ability to stretch his body. . . . At times of real frustration towards Reed, Grimm refers to him simply as "Richards".

Grimm is the godfather of Reed and Sue's son Franklin, who affectionately calls him "Unca Ben".
    Now obviously, it's not one-for-one (I'd tone down the gang stuff), but there's a lot here you can do with Miles.

From the Dr. Watson wiki page:

Watson is Holmes' best friend, assistant and flatmate. He is the first person narrator of all but four of the stories of the cases that he relates. Watson is described as a classic Victorian-era gentleman, unlike the more eccentric Holmes. He is astute and intelligent, although he fails to match his friend's deductive skills.
    And:

Watson is intelligent, if lacking in Holmes's insight, and serves as a perfect foil for Holmes: the archetypal late Victorian/Edwardian gentleman against the brilliant, emotionally detached analytical machine. Furthermore, he is considered an excellent doctor and surgeon, especially by Holmes. For instance, in "The Adventure of the Dying Detective", Holmes creates a ruse that he is deathly ill to lure a suspect to his presence, which must fool Watson as well during its enactment. To that effect, in addition to elaborate makeup and starving himself for a few days for the necessary appearance, Holmes firmly claims to Watson that he is highly contagious to the touch, knowing full well that the doctor would immediately deduce his true medical condition upon examination.

. . .

Watson sometimes attempts to solve crimes on his own, using Holmes's methods. For example, in The Hound of the Baskervilles, Watson efficiently clears up several of the many mysteries confronting the pair, including Barrymore's strange candle movements turning out to be signals to his brother-in-law Seldan, and Holmes praises him for his zeal and intelligence. . .

Watson never masters Holmes's deductive methods, but he can be astute enough to follow his friend's reasoning after the fact. In "The Adventure of the Norwood Builder," Holmes notes that John Hector McFarlane is "a bachelor, a solicitor, a Freemason, and an asthmatic". Watson comments as narrator: "Familiar as I was with my friend's methods, it was not difficult for me to follow his deductions, and to observe the untidiness of attire, the sheaf of legal papers, the watch-charm, and the breathing which had prompted them." Similar episodes occur in "The Adventure of the Devil's Foot," "The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist," and "The Adventure of the Resident Patient." In "The Adventure of the Red Circle", we find a rare instance in which Watson rather than Holmes correctly deduces a fact of value.[d] In The Hound of the Baskervilles,[18] Watson shows that he has picked up some of Holmes's skills at dealing with people from whom information is desired. (As he observes to the reader, "I have not lived for years with Sherlock Holmes for nothing." )

Watson is endowed with a strong sense of honour. At the beginning of "The Adventure of the Veiled Lodger," Watson makes strong claims about "the discretion and high sense of professional honour" that govern his work as Holmes's biographer, but discretion and professional honour do not block Watson from expressing himself and quoting Holmes with remarkable candor on the characters of their antagonists and their clients. Despite Watson's frequent expressions of admiration and friendship for Holmes, the many stresses and strains of living and working with the detective make themselves evident in Watson's occasional harshness of character. The most controversial of these matters is Watson's candor about Holmes's drug use. Though the use of cocaine was legal and common in Holmes's era, Watson directly criticizes Holmes's habits.
    . . .
    Other ideas are welcome, especially if there's a comparative analysis with other properties.

Feel free to discuss other Spiders like Gwen, Anya, Cindy, etc.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 06-26-2021 at 06:07 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

https://www.deviantart.com/lucwiz50/...ends-821276105

A recurring topic on this board is the undefined interpersonal dynamic between the Spider characters, with some using this as a justification for the argument that the redundancy that results from not having this defined dynamic means that the other Spider-characters should stay in their own universes--where they would essentially not be interacting with the mainstream versions of heroes people care about. I'm concerned this could hurt the long-term diversity of the Spider franchise, so I'd like to discuss potential dynamics.

Since these characters should serve as foils to Peter Parker, I'd like to take a look at this qualities and how the other Spiders could compliment those qualities.

On the surface, I don't think Peter is a leader in the vein of Captain America or Cyclops, where he can bark orders and strategies out. If he's going to be the leader in any scenario, it's likely going to be for his intelligence, not an affinity for command.

There are other franchises built around a knowledgeable "Donatello"-type (as opposed to the other turtles). These include the Fantastic Four, Uncharted, Sherlock Holmes, etc.

Looking at the Fantastic Four, if Peter is a combination of Reed Richards (intelligence) and Johnny Storm (humor), that still leaves Ben Grimm and Sue Storm. I could see Miles developing more into a Ben Grimm-type, John McClane-type every man to contrast with Peter. I'm not talking about deformity, I'm talking about how Ben has his own brand of humor, is more social, and is more of an archetypal New Yorker than the others. From Wikipedia:

Now obviously, it's not one-for-one (I'd tone down the gang stuff), but there's a lot here you can do with Miles.

Other ideas are welcome, especially if there's a comparative analysis with other properties.

Feel free to discuss other Spiders like Gwen, Anya, Cindy, etc.
    Peter is a cross between Mr fantastic and captain america with humor.
    Spider-woman is the sue storm but more serious and not as social.She's a hard-ass but under that respects Peter.Also works with kaine because he isn't as rigid in his morals.
    Miles is like Franklin(expect the power-house dynamic).He's not a newbie but still has a ways to go compared to the rest.Peter is his go to for help.Kaine scares the hell out of him specially after clones.
    Gwen is like Val.More mature than miles and anya but less than peter.Also her and peter and good friends despite not much interaction.
    Anya and gwen are like sisters.Silk is the older sister and kinda babysitter.
    Madame web is the single mother type who is cryptic but still cares.Close with peter since he is the closest to the web of life and destiny.
    Kaine is the weird uncle who is very crazy but once you get to know him he's great.Him and Anya are lowkey partners in crime.
    Silk is the one who is most immature of the adults or most mature of the kids because while she is a adult she spent a major part of her life in isolation.Close with Peter(he was the first person he met after coming into the world again and because he is a great confidant, she has a semi-crush on. him but not in a romantic way) and Spider-woman and gwen (because of their team-ups).

I don't know about Ben?I think he and miles would be friends
    Help me fill this up
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 06-26-2021 at 06:18 AM.