Default Somnus/Carl Valentino - Marvel newest mutant LGBTQ+ superhero -Appreciation 2021

Somnus’ powers give him total control of people’s dreams, but he was never able to follow his own. Now, Somnus is given a second chance at life, and he’s determined to make the most out of it on the thriving mutant nation of Krakoa! With a mesmerizing and unique mutant gift, it’s time for Somnus to step up in a big way and become the hero he was always destined to be.

“Somnus, Carl Valentino, is inspired not only by my own family history, but by my experiences with past generations of LGBTQ+ folks from across the country, people I wouldn't have met without comics. Somnus is a chance to explore how my own late queer relatives may have felt, living in more prejudiced times. He's also a chance to celebrate past generations as a whole and acknowledge the strides we've made that they may not have lived to see. And with the Krakoan era being one of relative utopia for mutantkind, Somnus will bring a fresh perspective, and respectful gut check, to the young mutants of the present who may not know just how hard some had to fight for all mutants have achieved. Within the story and without, Somnus will be a new, complex character carrying a message of respect, power, and vision.” - Steve Orlando creator

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In Marvel Voices: Pride, Wolverine's son Daken brings a new mutant to the X-Men's island nation with whom he shares a deep history.

Carl Valentino, aka Somnus, making his debut in "Man of His Dreams," a short story in Marvel's Voices: Pride #1. Carl met Daken in Canada, way back in 1967. The two shared what felt like decades together, growing older and getting to know each other. When Daken awoke, however, he found that he and Carl had only shared one night together.

This was able to happen because Carl is a mutant who possesses the unique ability to controls dreams. By controlling his and Daken's dreams, Carl was able to extend their one night into a lifetime together. After Daken left, Carl decided to devote his life to being a family man. Not only did Carl raise his sister and brother, he spent the next 50 years focusing on the rest of his family as well. As he grew older, Carl didn't reveal himself as a mutant, living out the rest of his life as a human.

Daken points out that Carl may have lived a good life, but it was a life which he had to compromise for the sake of others. Like several many other mutants, Carl hid who he really was which, according to Daken, limited Carl's potential.

For this reason, after Carl's death Daken took his body to Krakoa, where he was resurrected. Moreover, Carl returned in the prime of his youth, with full memories of his life. Reborn, Carl renamed himself Somnus, gifted with a colorful costume by Jumbo Carnation.

At the end of the tale, it's teased that Somnus will appear around Krakoa next year. Clearly, Somnus' time is just beginning, opening the door for a new character in Marvel's cast of mutants. Living his life as merely Carl Valentino, Somnus never had the chance to experience life as a mutant before. It will be interesting to see Somnus experiment with his powers and openly live his new life as a mutant on Krakoa.

Since he's never had a chance to experiment before, Somnus can now work with his powers more than ever. Somnus is someone who has lived a full life, yet also returned to the body of a young man. This opportunity gives Somnus the wisdom of a much older man, with the potential to explore his new life and powers for decades.

Somnus' second chance is quite extraordinary, providing him with an opportunity that most people can only dream about. Carl's story is indicative of the miracles that mutantkind can perform, giving people a second chance at life. In this way, the mutant race is truly advancing beyond the reach of humanity.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...voices-pride-1
    https://www.cbr.com/x-men-daken-somnus-introduction/

Be kind, it's FREE

His story ended with "Look for Somnus in Krakoa next year"
    Be kind, it's FREE

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I thought his backstory was interesting although we didn't really see enough of him for me to have a real opinion. My main interest in him is if the very talented Steve Orlando joins the Krakoan writers next year... that would be quite the catch.

Oh I'll also add: Somnus' powers are definitely original and it will be interesting to see how writers will try to make them "combat effective". No not every mutant needs to be a fighter, but if the character is to have a modicum of staying power...

If i'm real, his power was shocking to me. Which imo shows it was very well written and the artist did a great job narrating the story. Somnus is very powerful and it took me a while to wrap my mind around his powers, not how they work but the gravity of them. Like what if i'm daydreaming, which i do a lot and i get a kiss on the cheek and 20 years of what feels like real history happens in the blink of an eye. I am a deep dreamer and dream in color and this character really intrigues me.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I thought his backstory was interesting although we didn't really see enough of him for me to have a real opinion. My main interest in him is if the very talented Steve Orlando joins the Krakoan writers next year... that would be quite the catch.

Oh I'll also add: Somnus' powers are definitely original and it will be interesting to see how writers will try to make them "combat effective". No not every mutant needs to be a fighter, but if the character is to have a modicum of staying power...
    He'd make one hell of a therapist, dream interpreter.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Can’t wait to read more about him, I loved hearing about him on the cerebro podcast when Steve Orlando made an appearance

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Love his outfit, do not understand the cape, does it have something special, or is it just a cosmic design?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

I'm wondering how the dreamscape is different from the astral plane in the comics?

I really like his design and powers. I hope he will actually get something to do....so many characters come and go and are quickly ignored for 10 years or more.