Default Hank Mccoy: The Terra Verde Debacle.

So... For anyone who's been following the story of Terra Verde in the Xbooks (X-force #6, 9, 10 and Wolverine #13) will know that some pretty massive things have been happening behind the scenes.
    From here on I will be posting spoilers for the above issues, so if you don't want to be spoiled then it's better you stop reading now.

Krakoa basically took over another country (well Hank Mccoy to be specific, but he serves as a representative of Krakoa and acts on its behalf) and turned all of its popopulation into slaves.

About what Krakoa did to Terra Verde... It was pretty horrible and I feel like all the parties involved need to face some kind of justice.

To recap

-Terra Verde is a small south American country that was jelly because krakoas plant technology was better than theirs and pushing them out of the market and putting them in debt

-because of this, their president signed a treaty with Krakoa. But his son and his faction didn't agree, and made themselves plant sentinels and attacked, pretended to kid nap the son and then threatened the president.

-Xforce went in to rescue the son and end the plant sentinel threat. But found out the presidents son was actually in charge.

-after stomping them and destroying their research, beast lobotomized the presidents son as he figured it was better than telling him his son was a traitor that almost had him killed in a coup.

Here's where things get bad.

-the plant tech in the presidents sons body, that was used in the experiment, was based on a south American plant God.

-it took over his body then infected everyone in the country and started performing blood sacrifices and assimilating every animal it saw.

-Xforce comes in, Jean links sage and black tom to free everyone in the country from the control

Now here's the worst part

-Beast decides that a country of people filled with plant tech is a bit too much of a loose end

-so he reprogrammed all of them and took control of the country for months, using them as puppets and forcing a treaty between Krakoa with them

*lobotomizing the presidents son isn't the problem to me (despite the extreme method he chose, he was still trying to neutralize a terrorist. Anyways he can still be blamed for the country getting possessed in a way). Beast had no way of knowing the plant tech was actually a plant God that would infect a whole country and turn them into monsters.

But after Jean fixed the problem, Hank McCoy decided to mind control the whole freaking country.

In the words of one of the characters from Terra verde "You people are the worst kinds of colonizers". (note that Beast reprogrammed the country, after Jean made him experience the pain that everyone in that country was going through after being mind controlled by a plant God, shows just how much of a sociopath he's become).

People at fault here.

-beast, for being a massive douche and taking control of millions of people like a super villain and using them as his puppets

-Jean. In xforce 10,after reading beasts mind she says that he plans to annex Terra Verde and make it an extension of Krakoa. She knew what he was doing and basically said it was none of her business. If she had reported to the council, brought it in Scott and some other xmen, they could have stopped the freaking mad beast. She knew what he was doing this whole time.

-Xavier. Another douche who knew what beast was doing, but kept quiet because hank told him it wasn't a problem.

-Emma frost. Because she also knew, and just like the other two, she didn't do anything apart from throwing shade and guilting him. She has a place on the council, will she bring this up and try to make him face justice.

1)what kind of punishment can you even give to someone like hank for this kind of crime. Will Krakoa actually do anything to him for his actions

2)for people that knew about it and didn't say anything. If there was a real life scenario that was similar, what would be the judgment passed on them

3)for the nation Krakoa, if news like this got out, what consequences would the UN give. What would other nations do or how would they react. Is this enough to go to war over?(ofcourse with planet Arrako backing them, war would be hard unless wakandas empire or the eternals stepped in)

4) how would it affect relations with other hero groups/how would it affect public perception of Krakoa if this information got out

I have a feeling it's all just going to be swept under the rug and I'm hoping that they actually build something from it instead of that.

Id really like to hear what other people think about this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Tossim in the pit, give Sage his job, and put Deadpool, an objectively more moral person, on the book instead.

I'd also approve bringing back O5 beast from the past again and giving him the "see what a little shit you become" stuff that Cyke also had.
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 06-27-2021 at 09:32 AM.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

We don't know who Jean told about that mess, but I supposed if she didn't tell anyone it’s because that was part of the deal of being in the X-Force. So she fixed the issue and then she realised she didn't want to be part of it anymore.

Now, I agree that the Jean I'm a fan of would have moved mountains to change things or walk away from that society whose government refuses to address this sort of behaviour committed by it's "Intelligence agency". But that Jean wouldn't have set foot on Krakoa to begin with or be part of a team she herself characterised as: "X-Force isn't about heroics. It's about getting $#&% done. By whatever means necessary".

So, yeah... I'm hoping that, at some point, we'll get to understand how the character from X-Men: Red became this character in X-Force. But I'm not holding my breath we'll get any explanation. EDIT: Though, I do have my theories and there might something else to it when we consider what is going on in Way of X.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 06-27-2021 at 10:13 AM.

That does actually being up a question: should Jean be an active member of X-Force and the X-Men at the same time? She had to leave the council for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    That does actually being up a question: should Jean be an active member of X-Force and the X-Men at the same time? She had to leave the council for it.
    She left the X-Force too.

I didn't keep up with the book for long so I missed that. Makes sense though.

I didn't keep up with the book for long so I missed that. Makes sense though.
    When she fixes the mess with Terra Verde, she confronts Hank and then she leaves. Hank screwed things further after that.

She appeared again in the book but it was to help Quentin. At that point, she was not part of the team anymore.

Beast should be stripped of his position and not be allowed in engage with other nations. Let him focus on lab work. (Although that's not a great idea either).

When it comes to the UN and Krakoa, etc, IMO ultimately it's up to Terra Verde. They have the choice to bring what happened to the attention of the global community or they can accept the deal that was offered.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member

The X-Men literally had an intervention for him not that long ago because of these stunts he keeps on pulling, and he's only gotten worse since then. He doesn't have the excuse that mutants are on the verge of extinction that Cyclops and Wolverine had with X-Force on Utopia. He doesn't even have the hatred against Scott which motivated him to screw around with time. He just has a god complex that leads him to do these things and think he's above everyone else. I'd say he's beyond redemption at this point, because this is what he does naturally when not under pressure or stress.

mehh beast playing god like the rest of them. and unlike the rest he knows what he's doing and doesn't shy away from it. like magneto said ''you have new gods now''

Astonishing Member

Tossim in the pit, give Sage his job, and put Deadpool, an objectively more moral person, on the book instead.

I'd also approve bringing back O5 beast from the past again and giving him the "see what a little shit you become" stuff that Cyke also had.
    Lol at Deadpool being more moral, I always found him insane. To your point though unfortunately the writers seem to be setting up Beast as this untouchable grey cardinal, just like real world spooks are.He is as deep state as it gets and his shield is 'I'll get my hands dirty and be hated for to the good of Krakoa' classic intelligence organ rationalisation.With that kind of mentality be prepared for more reprehensibility and degeneracy from furball!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

thanks for this recap. I didn't quite understand all that occurred.

this will definitely come back to bite the krakoans and the ones you stated who are at fault should face some form of penalties for their actions/inaction.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 06-27-2021 at 12:45 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Lol at Deadpool being more moral, I always found him insane. To your point though unfortunately the writers seem to be setting up Beast as this untouchable grey cardinal, just like real world spooks are.He is as deep state as it gets and his shield is 'I'll get my hands dirty and be hated for to the good of Krakoa' classic intelligence organ rationalisation.With that kind of mentality be prepared for more reprehensibility and degeneracy from furball!
    Oh he is insane, he's just objectively a better person than Beast currently is