Default Was Jack Kirby ever considered for a run on Superman?

Was Jack Kirby ever considered for a run on Superman?

Just wondering. It could have been cool, concurrent with his New Gods work in the 1970s. Whether "Action Comics" or the "Superman" book (or, yet another?) it could have had lots of bronze age fun for Clark, Lois and the rest of the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Was Jack Kirby ever considered for a run on Superman?

Just wondering. It could have been cool, concurrent with his New Gods work in the 1970s. Whether "Action Comics" or the "Superman" book (or, yet another?) it could have had lots of bronze age fun for Clark, Lois and the rest of the cast.
    You mean besides his stint on Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen when he was doing his other Fourth World stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You mean besides his stint on Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen when he was doing his other Fourth World stuff?
    I was thinking more along the lines of having full access to all the Superman strip characters. Kind of like he came back to Marvel and did Black Panther.. but maybe if he had a six-year run on Superman.. hmm...

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I’m not sure but his ideas with the character have sure stuck around. Morgan Edge, The New Gods , Cadmus,,, I prefer his “Superman in Supertown” over “Must there be a Superman.” My guess is that Curt Swan had the art duties locked up. I think it’s one of the great missed opportunities like Steve Gerber on a run. In my version of Luciens Library, there is a huge Kirby run next to the Alan Moore Garcia Lopez volumes of Superman and Action.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Considering DC changed Superman's appearance in the comics Kirby drew him, I'm going to say probably not.

Don’t think so, especially given how house style obsessed DC was. Can’t see them allowing Kirby to handle their flagship character given how much of a trailblazer he was and how conservative DC was back then.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Kirby's world building and general understanding of how to build characters like superman up would have been far better than what came later even with byrne.Though byrne did create a good cast.Kirby could have made an entire real/world for superman Like Asgard and cosmic silver surfer stuff..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Too bad Jack Kirby was never partnered with Jerry Siegel. It would have been interesting to see what they could have come up with.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Retired

The story I've always seen on how Kirby ended up with Jimmy is that the publisher wanted him to work on one of the titles and Kirby asked which was their worst selling title and that was Jimmy's book. But this doesn't jibe, because Jimmy's title was always a pretty good seller. Anyway, Kirby also didn't want to put anyone out of a job and Olsen's series was needing a new artist, because Pete Costanza (who had been the regular artist at the time) had suffered a stroke and couldn't draw anymore (Costanza taught himself how to draw with the other hand and was able to do more artwork later). So by taking that book, he wasn't pushing out another artist. But nevertheless, since he'd be writing it too, Jack called up Jerry Siegel and got his blessing to do the book before he agreed to the assignment. A real stand up guy was Jack Kirby.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

From what I read over the years, Kirby didn't want to be put on a bigger title, to take work away from others. So, he went on Jimmy Oslen's book. Though Kirby on JLA would've been interesting.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 06-28-2021 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Considering DC changed Superman's appearance in the comics Kirby drew him, I'm going to say probably not.
    Erasing Jack Kirby's drawings of Superman. Still one of the greatest affronts in comics history.

Kirby often did not like to use characters that he didn't have a hand in creating, so I'm not sure he would have been happy being thrown directly into the regular Superman monthly where Supes' supporting cast and villains may have been expected to appear. On the Jimmy Olsen book he could still write a Superman comic but create his own world without feeling pressure to adhere to the general/traditional narrative.

So having him on the Jimmy Olsen title was kind of a win-win for DC. They get The King to write their flagship character but allow him the freedom to throw out some crazy new ideas.
    Last edited by Robotman; 06-28-2021 at 04:51 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    Too bad Jack Kirby was never partnered with Jerry Siegel. It would have been interesting to see what they could have come up with.
    One of the great collaborations I still regret we never got to see.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Kirby did draw DC COMICS PRESENTS #84.

DCCP84.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Kirby did draw DC COMICS PRESENTS #84.

DCCP84.jpg
    The last major work for DC that "The King" ever did (T^T):
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/DC_Comics_Presents_Vol_1_84

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-02-2021 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.