Astonishing Member

Default Question about Marvel/Dark Horse continuity

I know that the Disney/Marvel continuity isn't the same as Dark Horse's continuity but what about the original Star Wars from the 1970s by Marvel? Does this series take place in both continuities?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It's been a while but I don't think there were any continuations of the original Marvel comics into the Dark Horse books and there haven't been any real continuations in the new Marvel books but there have been instances of them redoing old ideas from the original comics like the cyborg bounty hunter Beilert Valance, and the Tagge family as villains.

I think the only real continuation has been in the Star Wars Adventures line, which is apparently in continuity, where there has been an on and off again feature with Jaxxon, that wascilly wabbit of a smuggler, which has referenced the events of Star Wars #8 a few times.

Amazing Member

All collections of the original Marvel run issues since they got the license back have the Legends banner on the covers, so it's definitely not in continuity with the current books.

Quote Originally Posted by jcl100 View Post
    All collections of the original Marvel run issues since they got the license back have the Legends banner on the covers, so it's definitely not in continuity with the current books.
    True enough to a point, though as I said the Star Wars Adventure books are apparently in continuity and the Jaxxon stories they've done have directly referenced the events from his first appearance in the Marvel comics so my thinking is that if it's something a writer liked then it happened.

Pretty much everything published from 2014 onward-but also including the first six films and the CG Clone Wars is the Disney canon.

However, some concepts from the old canon have been reworked into the new here and there. Marvel-wise I think one of the main recent examples is the Bounty Hunter Valance, a recurring villain in the first few years of Marvel's original title. However elements of his backstory have been changed, including linking him to Han's time in the Empire. There *is* one Valance one-shot set in the Legends continuity which is the "final" issue of the 1980s Marvel comic though.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars_108

Originally curiously the Bantam, Del Rey and Dark Horse publications mostly ignored the old Marvel comics, but gradually put them back into Legends continuity, so much so that a Marvel villain was a key part of the "Legacy of the Force" novel series.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    True enough to a point, though as I said the Star Wars Adventure books are apparently in continuity and the Jaxxon stories they've done have directly referenced the events from his first appearance in the Marvel comics so my thinking is that if it's something a writer liked then it happened.
    Characters and references to Legends material have been appearing in current canon for years. That doesn't mean those stories exactly as written are explicitly back in continuity though. It just means an incredibly similar series of events transpired.

Quote Originally Posted by jcl100 View Post
    Characters and references to Legends material have been appearing in current canon for years. That doesn't mean those stories exactly as written are explicitly back in continuity though. It just means an incredibly similar series of events transpired.
    Jaxxon met up again with Amaiza and they talked about the events that occurred on Aduba-3 and they were exactly the same as what we saw play out over the course of Star Wars 8-10. And then there were flash backs that depicted identical panels from that story relayed by Han Solo in another Jaxxon feature, and then Lando specifically accepts Jaxxon's help because he had heard talk about how Jaxxon was a part of the Starhoppers of Aduba-3...so yeah those issues are very explicitly in continuity.

One of the very first EU Disney novels, Tarkin, also refers to Vader's mission to Murkana shortly after ROTS from Luceno's own Legends novel "Rise of Darth Vader", although the reference is vague enough (Something like "That was one of your first missions"), so that it could've been a slightly alternate version of what happened.

Also didn't that Aduba storyline involve the Cloud Riders? Wonder how that can be reconciled with the SOLO version.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

iMan 42s

Until specified, a reference as far as continuity goes is a wink and a nod at something rather than it saying that something had occurred in continuity. So if something like the Ghost prison is mentioned, it doesn't mean the story it was featured in is canonical, it just means that the prison exists. Darth Revan's sith title is a legion name for the Sith troopers, it does not mean that Kotor is canonical, it just means that there is a Revan. Intention behind it can change things but given that Lucasfilm (or really Filoni's team) cares about continuity as much as the writers of MK11 it doesn't mean much.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Until specified, a reference as far as continuity goes is a wink and a nod at something rather than it saying that something had occurred in continuity. So if something like the Ghost prison is mentioned, it doesn't mean the story it was featured in is canonical, it just means that the prison exists. Darth Revan's sith title is a legion name for the Sith troopers, it does not mean that Kotor is canonical, it just means that there is a Revan. Intention behind it can change things but given that Lucasfilm (or really Filoni's team) cares about continuity as much as the writers of MK11 it doesn't mean much.
    And what I'm saying is that the Aduba-3 story line has been more than just mentioned or name dropped, it's been explicitly referenced more than once in the Jaxxon stories to the point that you can't really have those stories with out the original Aduba-3 story. I think it may the lone time that's happened so far but it means that if a writer really liked one of those old Marvel stories then it seems like they'd be able to bring it in if they felt like it.

Astonishing Member

I guess continuity depends on the reader/fan? One more question. Before Disney bought the Star Wars franchise, didn't Lucas (or someone) said that everything related to Star Was in set in the same continuity (films, books, comics, video games, webcomics, fan made stories, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I guess continuity depends on the reader/fan? One more question. Before Disney bought the Star Wars franchise, didn't Lucas (or someone) said that everything related to Star Was in set in the same continuity (films, books, comics, video games, webcomics, fan made stories, etc)?
    Nah, it was actually the opposite. Before Disney bought Star Wars there were "layers" of continuity; the feature films were the main continuity, then tv shows like the clone wars, then novels then comics and then video games. On top of that if they decided to do something different continuity wise in the films or the cartoon THAT was the defacto continuity now and anything in the lower tiers that said differently previously was now out of continuity.
    It was done that way because there wasn't a strong centralized hold over how the licence for Star Wars was used, but with Disney at the reins that isn't the case anymore so now comics, novels, video games, TV shows and films all have equal footing because they all have to be approved by the Mouse.