Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

No....

Just no.

I absolutely love a ton of Bendis works, but he has to have the right environment to flourish. 616 Spider-Man isn’t it. His 616 interpretation of the character was horrible during the New Avengers days. His USM material is an absolute gem and quite frankly one of the best Spider-Man runs as a whole ever. However, his material just doesn’t work in the 616 world of Spider-Man. I cringe just thinking about how Spiderman was portrayed during that run. Literally useless, powerless and nothing more then a court jester.

Let’s not and stick to that. Yes nice upon a time, it would’ve been great to have Bendis write Amazing Spider-Man especially with how great his Ultimate Spider-Man had been back in the early 2000’s. These days though, he’s just not the writer he was back then so I’d rather he not.

BANNED

Please God no! Talk about a guy with absolutely no feel regard for Pete/Spidey in the 616 universe. I think the fact that Marvel is going with a team of writers indicates they were caught a bit flat footed with Spencer leaving and didn't have time to line up a regular writer so they're throwing in a stunt to give them time. That or perhaps there something that is scaring away top end talent from ASM. Personally I think Nick Lowe needs to go first and foremost

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Technically, the writer of ASM is supposed to be default - "Head of Web". Historically that's how it worked. When JMS wrote Spider-Man he had to give an okay as to what stories and characters satellite writers and others doing miniseries, like Dan Slott when he did Spider-Man/Human Torch or featured Spider-Man in She-Hulk.
    I never knew that the writer of ASM had that much power.

I do wonder if that has changed, because for the last three or four years it seems like the Spidey title has not been in the drivers seat for the Spidey line (similar to Aaron's Avengers which has no bearing on the larger Marvel Universe).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I never knew that the writer of ASM had that much power.
    It’s always been that way since satellite titles were invented in the 70s.

ASM drives the car, Spectacular rides shotgun, and miniseries, Web of Spider-Man are bratty kids who keep going “are we there yet?” Non Stop Spider-Man being a good recent example of the latter.

I do wonder if that has changed, because for the last three or four years it seems like the Spidey title has not been in the drivers seat for the Spidey line (similar to Aaron's Avengers which has no bearing on the larger Marvel Universe).
    I don’t think it’s changed. If Spencer wanted to do stuff with Venom for instance then Cates would be far more restricted in what he could be doing. If Nick wanted to do more with Miles likewise. To be honest it’s likely because Spencer didn’t have many plans that those titles were allowed to be more separate in the first place.

Astonishing Member

I hope not. I know Bendis has his fans, but I was never wild about his decompressed style of storytelling. Wish him the best, just not on Spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It’s always been that way since satellite titles were invented in the 70s.

ASM drives the car, Spectacular rides shotgun, and miniseries, Web of Spider-Man are bratty kids who keep going “are we there yet?” Non Stop Spider-Man being a good recent example of the latter.

I don’t think it’s changed. If Spencer wanted to do stuff with Venom for instance then Cates would be far more restricted in what he could be doing. If Nick wanted to do more with Miles likewise. To be honest it’s likely because Spencer didn’t have many plans that those titles were allowed to be more separate in the first place.
    That's super interesting, thanks for all the info.

So, knowing all of this; then I think a writer with Bendis' clout would be a boon for ASM simply because it would bring a lot of eyes to the title especially fans who loved USM (like myself) and fans of Miles.

Imagine ASM being advertised as "Writer of Ultimate Spider-Man & Creator of Miles Morales returns to Marvel on The Amazing Spider-Man!"

I personally would welcome it

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Are we sure they're rotating, as opposed to it being a collaboration like Avengers No Surrender and Avengers No Road Home, which had three writers?
    Either way, five writers for about 25 issues seems a little bit of overkill (if the 900 part ends up being correct). I'm not going to be shocked if we get more specials or a related mini
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Either way, five writers for about 25 issues seems a little bit of overkill (if the 900 part ends up being correct). I'm not going to be shocked if we get more specials or a related mini
    So each writer is basically writing 5 issues each (assuming each issue has a single writer)

Are we sure they're rotating, as opposed to it being a collaboration like Avengers No Surrender and Avengers No Road Home, which had three writers?
    That's fair. The press release doesn't really clarify how it works.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It seems a little weird to have a rotating team of five writers for such a brief time. It doesn't really give much opportunity for rotating. I kinda suspect that even if Peter Parker is coming back by Issue 900, the rotating writers will stick around. I'd imagine they want to write Peter Parker.

If Bendis is coming back to Marvel, and has ideas for the 616 Spider-Man, I'm sure he'd be welcomed. But it just seems they're naming an A-list writer, rather than going on anything concrete.
    BND style is just dangerous and should be short lived.
    But for the love of good please not BMB.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    No....

Just no.

I absolutely love a ton of Bendis works, but he has to have the right environment to flourish. 616 Spider-Man isn’t it. His 616 interpretation of the character was horrible during the New Avengers days. His USM material is an absolute gem and quite frankly one of the best Spider-Man runs as a whole ever. However, his material just doesn’t work in the 616 world of Spider-Man. I cringe just thinking about how Spiderman was portrayed during that run. Literally useless, powerless and nothing more then a court jester.
    I love USM.
    But he lost his charm, USM was one of the last good things he wrote.
    He has a Kitty Pryde obssesion with Luke Cage and Miles Morales tied ofr 2nd place.He'd probably break MJ peter up(this part is sarcasm.)
    I don't want peter to be overshadowed by said characters , go write Miles if you want another Spider-character.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    That's super interesting, thanks for all the info.

So, knowing all of this; then I think a writer with Bendis' clout would be a boon for ASM simply because it would bring a lot of eyes to the title especially fans who loved USM (like myself) and fans of Miles.

Imagine ASM being advertised as "Writer of Ultimate Spider-Man & Creator of Miles Morales returns to Marvel on The Amazing Spider-Man!"

I personally would welcome it
    I would agree but ASM is already the highest selling marvel series, it doesn't need the eyes.Specially at the cost of story.

I'm sorry but BMB is a hack now and ruins every book he's on.

Amazing Member

I hope not but if he is then he better return with David Marquez

Extraordinary Member

Pinch of salt, but there's a rumour from retailers on Spider-Man Crawlspace Discord that after the Beyond story runs it's course, that Marvel want the next Amazing Spider-Man writer, from issue 900, to be Brian Michael Bendis. He's no longer DC exclusive, so it is possible.

Thoughts?
    I question,
    where did you hear this rumor?
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 06-28-2021 at 07:53 PM.