Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The return of Brian Michael Bendis?

Pinch of salt, but there's a rumour from retailers on Spider-Man Crawlspace Discord that after the Beyond story runs it's course, that Marvel want the next Amazing Spider-Man writer, from issue 900, to be Brian Michael Bendis. He's no longer DC exclusive, so it is possible.

Thoughts?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Pinch of salt, but there's a rumour from retailers on Spider-Man Crawlspace Discord that after the Beyond story runs it's course, that Marvel want the next Amazing Spider-Man writer, from issue 900, to be Brian Michael Bendis. He's no longer DC exclusive, so it is possible.

Thoughts?
    Which stories were written by Brian Michael Bendis, related to Spider-Man?

All of Ultimate Spider-Man, and Miles Morales until 2018 (yeah, an 18 year run). Also, New Avengers (2004-2012).
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Thoughts?
    It's possible but that's a pretty wide out assumption, because it's been going around other circles that Chuck Austen is the next author on tap.
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

If that's true and he comes back to write Spidey... I don't know. His USM was one of my most favourite comic books but I really doubt he has something else to say about the character. Stuff got pretty dumb and repetitive near the end with Peter and Goblin been killed and ressurected too many times. For me USM ended on #160 with Peter having a heroic death.

Also I didn't like what Bendis wrote last years at Marvel (Iron Man, GotG and X-Men especially). His most incredible stuff (Alias, USM, Daredevil, House of M) were written decade ago. Don't follow his Superman though, simply not interested.

Mighty Member

I enjoy his run on Superman, but it's pretty slow developing and that seems like a weird choice for Spidey after Spencer. I'm enjoying Spencer's run, too, but it's not without faults and one of them is the slow burn plot. One might imagine Beyond will be pretty frenetic, so maybe it won't matter ...
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

It seems a little weird to have a rotating team of five writers for such a brief time. It doesn't really give much opportunity for rotating. I kinda suspect that even if Peter Parker is coming back by Issue 900, the rotating writers will stick around. I'd imagine they want to write Peter Parker.

If Bendis is coming back to Marvel, and has ideas for the 616 Spider-Man, I'm sure he'd be welcomed. But it just seems they're naming an A-list writer, rather than going on anything concrete.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

If he has some good ideas for Spidey then sure, but I haven't really enjoyed much of his work in a long time unfortunately. The absolute decompression is not something he handles with much restraint, it was fresh back in the early USM days but when everything became that it got old real quick. The best thing he's written in recent memory was the Batman Universe series. I just want fun comics like that with these characters more in general.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    If he has some good ideas for Spidey then sure, but I haven't really enjoyed much of his work in a long time unfortunately. The absolute decompression is not something he handles with much restraint, it was fresh back in the early USM days but when everything became that it got old real quick. The best thing he's written in recent memory was the Batman Universe series. I just want fun comics like that with these characters more in general.
    Bendis should stick to writing his independent books instead of returning to Marvel.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Thoughts?
    That would be pretty awesome, there needs to be a "Head of Web" like we have "Head of X" with Hickman.

The Spidey line has been so disparate for a while now. Cates was doing his thing, Ahmed is doing his thing and Spencer is doing his thing.

It would be so cool to bring it all together into a cohesive line.

BANNED

Bendis coming on to write 616 Spider-Man would be a big surprise, but then again if they want to sign a writer to take them to ASM#1000, Bendis would be a good star pick.

Generally, I never got the impression that Bendis was that much of a fan of 616 Spider-Man as opposed to his own Ultimate versions of those characters, and Miles. He has generally not written him too well certainly not in New Avengers and other titles.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    That would be pretty awesome, there needs to be a "Head of Web" like we have "Head of X" with Hickman.
    Technically, the writer of ASM is supposed to be default - "Head of Web". Historically that's how it worked. When JMS wrote Spider-Man he had to give an okay as to what stories and characters satellite writers and others doing miniseries, like Dan Slott when he did Spider-Man/Human Torch or featured Spider-Man in She-Hulk.

I'm not sure how I would feel about Bendis on ASM and I'm not sure he has much left to say on Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    It's possible but that's a pretty wide out assumption, because it's been going around other circles that Chuck Austen is the next author on tap.
    To be honest I never read Chuck Austen (Except when I read FF and Thor I have been Spider-Man exclusive). I looked him up on Wikipedia and saw he is 61 years old. I think about what Dan Slott said “Amazing is a young man’s comic. Do you think he would be good on Amazing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It seems a little weird to have a rotating team of five writers for such a brief time. It doesn't really give much opportunity for rotating. I kinda suspect that even if Peter Parker is coming back by Issue 900, the rotating writers will stick around. I'd imagine they want to write Peter Parker.

If Bendis is coming back to Marvel, and has ideas for the 616 Spider-Man, I'm sure he'd be welcomed. But it just seems they're naming an A-list writer, rather than going on anything concrete.
    Are we sure they're rotating, as opposed to it being a collaboration like Avengers No Surrender and Avengers No Road Home, which had three writers?

I kind of just assumed they'd all spin off into their own Spider-Related ongoings after we hit 900.