Extraordinary Member

Default Echolands by J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman

Extraordinary Member

Finally seeing the light of day after being announced back in 2018.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I've been looking forward to this ever since I heard of it.

If I saw this announced back then, I had forgotten about it, but it looks amazing and I just added it to my pull this afternoon when I stopped by my LCS.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member

Echolands #1 Preview
    Writer: J.H Williams III and W. Haden Blackma
    Artist: J.W. Williams III

So how was it?

The art was outstanding, as would be expected. It starts to world build, but I think we need more issues to find out if it is engrossing or derivative.
    One thing that worries me is they say they have been thinking about this series for over a decade, sometimes a long incubation means the creators just have too much stuff in their heads and the project is overbaked. Adventureman is a good example of this.

But the widescreen format is very intriguing and it's worth staying with to see what it could be.

One other thing. No way Williams can keep this up on a monthly, so expect long breaks between every 6 to 8 issues.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Waited for this like forever!

Echolands #1 is an awesome first issue.

Got #3 last week, anybody else still reading this?
    I am finding it a difficult book. First the the art is simple stunning, as would be expected. And the layout is making for some unique pages.
    And I get the cross genre mish-mash they are going for. Seeing a Kirby Eternals type next to a Wrightson Frankenstein and I suppose some Sandman character is really cool. But it all becomes very meta and holding on to the story and characters is becoming harder and harder. I hope this isn't becoming the type of series I have to re-read every issue when a new one comes out.
    Art A+, story E for effort but incomplete right now.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

I have the first two issues, I haven't gotten to the third yet. The art is great and I like the back matter that adds to the world building. But yeah, so far the story isn't as gripping as it could be ( at least not yet). I'm going to stick with for at least the first arc.

I'm curious as to how well this is going to sell in singles going forward...

Ultimate Member

Read the third issue, liked the whole bit with the Kirby New Gods/Eternals guy talking to the Creepy magazine/Wrightson Frankenstein and Heavy Metal mag new wave guys.

Issue #4, same great art, same middling interesting story. I don't really care about any of the characters.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Issue #4, same great art, same middling interesting story. I don't really care about any of the characters.
    This is also where I was. Dropped after issue 3. Too many other things to occupy the time.