Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I’ve read far more detective novels by English writers than Americans (though read a lot of Ed McBain).

Real favourites are Peter Lovesey, Reginald Hill, and Dick Francis. The first two..apart from typically producing fast moving, convincing plots inject a lot of humour into their stories. Dick Francis often writes stories based in the world of horse racing, which he (of course) knows intimately, and he uses that inside knowledge to great effect.

Extraordinary Member

I’d recommend pretty much any Nero Wolfe book by Rex Stout. Even his anthology collections are great for quick, breezy, but not short-story length reads.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I’ve read far more detective novels by English writers than Americans (though read a lot of Ed McBain).

Real favourites are Peter Lovesey, Reginald Hill, and Dick Francis. The first two..apart from typically producing fast moving, convincing plots inject a lot of humour into their stories. Dick Francis often writes stories based in the world of horse racing, which he (of course) knows intimately, and he uses that inside knowledge to great effect.
    Huge tradition of British whodunnits, both in books and in TV, I love it. There are also some great nordic crime novels.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I’d recommend pretty much any Nero Wolfe book by Rex Stout. Even his anthology collections are great for quick, breezy, but not short-story length reads.
    I read the Triple Zeck collection, which was very good. I'm sorry that the A&E series didn't get around to adapting it.