Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Question What is DC trying to do to Superman's legacy?

Hi guys

I read an article today on Screen Rant discussing the latest issue of the Darkside of the DC universe, in which we are given Katana's point of view on how she sees society.
    The story is good, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, but what caught my attention is that it seemed that Katana is trying to say, indirectly, that Superman and how he was accepted is part of society's problem.

here is the link to the article:

https://screenrant.com/dc-comics-sup...rican-way/amp/

This isn't the first time that Superman was put in this position by DC, as a similar, but more direct, approach happened with Black Lighting a few months ago. And to be fair the writer of the article defended Superman and his legacy by saying that Superman represents the good in humankind, in general, and not for a specific society. This article is not the first to defend Superman as a hero, as another writer talked about the story of "what's funny in truth, justice, and the American way" and reminded us that he fights for the improvement of mankind.

So my question is this, With Katana's story, and Black Lightning before her, do you think DC is trying to harm Superman's legacy or do you see it as a way to make it bigger?

for reference, here is the other article I mentioned: https://tuftsdaily.com/arts/2020/10/...on-comics-775/

The article is clear, but your question of " does this damage Superman's legacy?" kind of misses the boat here. The story delves into deeper societal issues, immigration, race, inculturation, acceptance so on and so forth. Katana and Superman are just examples to convey those differences and contradictions.
    The J-man

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    The article is clear, but your question of " does this damage Superman's legacy?" kind of misses the boat here. The story delves into deeper societal issues, immigration, race, inculturation, acceptance so on and so forth. Katana and Superman are just examples to convey those differences and contradictions.
    I get that the story is about all of those things, and that's what I like about it. And I also get that Katana and others like her admire Superman for what he represents, but when she said "We did not blame Kal, but we understood that while he was a symbol of all that was right with America, he also represented what was systemically wrong with America" is the reason why I asked the question.

Does she believe that he is part of the problem or part of the solution?

And does that change anything about Superman's legacy?

Out of topic, how have you been?

Haven’t seen you in a while

What's interesting is that this is not the first time this has been dealt with. Even the 1950s Superman show dealt with it once in the pilot of the television show where "aliens" are hunted and he takes it very personally and Lois even comments that it's because he thinks he would have been treated that way did he not look human. The story doesn't delve into it beyond that and doesn't address his whiteness or anything.

This story with Katana goes out of it's way to make it clear how positive a being Superman is and how much she respects him. But, as the "Ultimate Immigrant" he is the perfect example to use for what is wrong with America as well as what is right. Through no fault of his own, he is accepted because, though from another planet, he is completely human looking and a white human. Meanwhile, people who are actual humans are not accepted because they lack the white part.

I think they go out of their way to not harm his legacy and to try to make it bigger. Potentially, it leads to stories where he addresses these issues himself which makes him far more relevant to this generation instead of just a red, white and blue icon, which is how many people have perceived him to be.
    Power with Girl is better.

Superman the ultimate immigrant is of course afforded a great deal of privileges due to the fact that he is a white humanoid alien that looks different then all of the other immigrants that have it much harder in America.
    For as much as he is celebrated
    Katana and the writer are simply pointing out that the bad aspects of america make him "the ultimate immigrant"

DC can only go so far with this type of story before it outright damages Supes as a character though

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_E_88 View Post
    I get that the story is about all of those things, and that's what I like about it. And I also get that Katana and others like her admire Superman for what he represents, but when she said "We did not blame Kal, but we understood that while he was a symbol of all that was right with America, he also represented what was systemically wrong with America" is the reason why I asked the question.

Does she believe that he is part of the problem or part of the solution?

And does that change anything about Superman's legacy?

Out of topic, how have you been?

Haven’t seen you in a while
    Superman's actions will determine that.

The notion that this somehow harms Superman's legacy is inherently flawed. The story is making an observation, and at most, it serves to reframe and recontextualize societal views on identity and race. This comic doesn't change anything about Superman. It may enlighten some readers about these societal aspects. If you take a U.S. Anthropology course, does that somehow damage the Nation? No, it might provide you with additional incite and a new perspective, but the country is still the same.

Superman's evolved over the years and will continue to do so; however, this story is more a commentary on the "American Way" and how it was not representative or reflective for every group of "Americans."

I've been busy. Work's a little much, but I can't complain too much. How is everything with you?
    The J-man

We literally just had a story not that long ago where Clark examines his own white privilege and concludes that yes, he benefits from it. It's not damaging his legacy to deal with that.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Superman the ultimate immigrant is of course afforded a great deal of privileges due to the fact that he is a white humanoid alien that looks different then all of the other immigrants that have it much harder in America.
    For as much as he is celebrated
    Katana and the writer are simply pointing out that the bad aspects of america make him "the ultimate immigrant"

DC can only go so far with this type of story before it outright damages Supes as a character though
    So in your opinion, do you think Katana's story and Black Lightning’s story harm Superman's legacy?

I know the other guys don't think it does, but I want to make sure I don't misunderstood your opinion.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Superman's actions will determine that.

The notion that this somehow harms Superman's legacy is inherently flawed. The story is making an observation, and at most, it serves to reframe and recontextualize societal views on identity and race. This comic doesn't change anything about Superman. It may enlighten some readers about these societal aspects. If you take a U.S. Anthropology course, does that somehow damage the Nation? No, it might provide you with additional incite and a new perspective, but the country is still the same.

Superman's evolved over the years and will continue to do so; however, this story is more a commentary on the "American Way" and how it was not representative or reflective for every group of "Americans."

I've been busy. Work's a little much, but I can't complain too much. How is everything with you?
    So, you don't believe that Katana's story harms Superman's legacy?

I'm doing well, I'm also working on my blog.
    Last edited by Mr_E_88; 06-29-2021 at 11:27 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    We literally just had a story not that long ago where Clark examines his own white privilege and concludes that yes, he benefits from it. It's not damaging his legacy to deal with that.
    Can you give me the number and title of that issue?

Truth and Justice, the second story arc. In print it's Truth and Justice #2 but in digital it's Truth & Justice 4-6 I think. It's the story after Vixen. It's written by Brandon Easton.

They had a discussion of the story in this thread https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-amp-Justice-4

Astonishing Member

Lol, nope Superman used to try and fix the god awful world that adopted him and every time someone would makes some weak argument about how he'll become and tyrant and enslave everyone. Humans of DC said they'd rather get worked over by other humans before accepting help from Superman. Live in your rathole with all of it's flaws humankind.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_E_88 View Post
    And to be fair the writer of the article defended Superman and his legacy by saying that Superman represents the good in humankind,

Except he isnt Human but an alien species...so the above statement dont make much sense.
    Last edited by HunterX; 07-02-2021 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Fair point. Want to see what would've happened if he wasn't white? Read Icon.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Fair point. Want to see what would've happened if he wasn't white? Read Icon.
    From what I know he is an upper-class lawyer who does things by the book, and all around he's pretty much another Superman.

But what does this have to do with our topic?