Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    That’s a terrible way to leave things off especially if you set up a potential twist. At that point, it’s basically a roll of the dice of where things go depending entirely on the bias of a future creative team. If they want her as his sister, it goes one way and if they don’t, it goes the other. Never set up something like this unless you’re gonna follow through as it easily can turn into a mess.
    The word “Mess” describes The Spencer run perfectly ( that and missed opportunities). I still think the single biggest mess is Kindred, followed close behind by OMD teases such as the BND issue and the Strange and Mephisto panel. I know there are those who claim Spencer wanted to deal with OMD, but Marvel said no. But if Kindred would have been finished a year or two ago this would not have happened. Now we might get lucky to even get Kindred finished, and will probably wait until Amazing 1000 to see OMD dealt with.

Astonishing Member

That’s a terrible way to leave things off especially if you set up a potential twist. At that point, it’s basically a roll of the dice of where things go depending entirely on the bias of a future creative team. If they want her as his sister, it goes one way and if they don’t, it goes the other. Never set up something like this unless you’re gonna follow through as it easily can turn into a mess.
    I think I know what Spencer was aiming for. There was a movie I saw once where a father learns his wife had a affair around the time his wife got pregnant with his child. The relationship beings to crumble and the father and child get a DnA test done. Yet, at the end, they realize that it doesn't matter if they related or not. Because they are "family" no matter what.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    We needed an answer.
    Hopefully that she is a chameleon but Peter accepts her anyways.
    Sometimes it is best to leave characters with ambiguity. Joker works fine without it. Wolverine was at his best when he had no clue who he was.

This is just multiple choice. If someone wishes to have her as his sister? It is valid. If they don't? Also valid. My interpretation is that she likely is, but Chameleon and Finisher just wanted to absolutely mess with her.

Besides, future writers will likely address it. Even if one says she isn't, this set-up allows another to come and change it back.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Sometimes it is best to leave characters with ambiguity. Joker works fine without it. Wolverine was at his best when he had no clue who he was.

This is just multiple choice. If someone wishes to have her as his sister? It is valid. If they don't? Also valid. My interpretation is that she likely is, but Chameleon and Finisher just wanted to absolutely mess with her.

Besides, future writers will likely address it. Even if one says she isn't, this set-up allows another to come and change it back.
    I am not a big fan of ambiguity. Why? When it comes to characters It does not leave a lot of room for character development and characters often become one dimensional. When it comes to films I hate when I do not know the outcome. Even if there is a film I despise ( like Paradise Hills or Harley Quinn), I will put on the last 15 minutes after I stop watching because I want to know how it turned out

I think I know what Spencer was aiming for. There was a movie I saw once where a father learns his wife had a affair around the time his wife got pregnant with his child. The relationship beings to crumble and the father and child get a DnA test done. Yet, at the end, they realize that it doesn't matter if they related or not. Because they are "family" no matter what.
    Problem there is that that ends up being unsatisfying to both sides of the fence thus leading to the question of just what the point even was. For those who like her being his sister, there’s now a worry because Spencer has now given future writers an out to kick her out of the Peter’s family should they not want her in Peter’s life. And on the other end it goes the opposite way. Hell, just look how badly things went over with the clone saga pulling that kind of mystery. In the end, in trying to leave things open for both sides, you end up pleasing neither.

Astonishing Member

Problem there is that that ends up being unsatisfying to both sides of the fence thus leading to the question of just what the point even was. For those who like her being his sister, there’s now a worry because Spencer has now given future writers an out to kick her out of the Peter’s family should they not want her in Peter’s life. And on the other end it goes the opposite way. Hell, just look how badly things went over with the clone saga pulling that kind of mystery. In the end, in trying to leave things open for both sides, you end up pleasing neither.
    If he had revealed she wasn't, people would have rioted. If she was proven to be his sister, I am sure some out there would have complained about that too. For me, I just put it down to a simple mind**** concocted by two individuals (Chameleon and Finisher) who are unreliable narrators.

Still, I agree that this arc was a futile exercise. What did it achieve? It brought Ned back, had Silver Sable turn on Foreigner (before he turned on her) and resolved the clairvoyant thread (thank God for that). The rest? Nothing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am not a big fan of ambiguity. Why? When it comes to characters It does not leave a lot of room for character development and characters often become one dimensional. When it comes to films I hate when I do not know the outcome. Even if there is a film I despise ( like Paradise Hills or Harley Quinn), I will put on the last 15 minutes after I stop watching because I want to know how it turned out
    Some stories just don't have outcomes and the author/s leave it up for interpretation. Inception was ambiguous. Blade Runner was ambiguous due to the different cuts. Even Evangelion has millions of different interpretations regarding its ending. It doesn't lessen the product. It enriches it (sometimes anyway).

In the end, we may never get a confirmation on Teresa. They may say she is, they may also say she isn't. I am not fussed either way because a character can be retconned at any point, by any writer. Best to just go with the flow.

Besides, this gives her further motivation as a character and sets up a thread that may be picked up later. Would you not read a global spanning book featuring Teresa as she hunts down answers and seeks revenge? Sounds like a cool mini-series to me.

Astonishing Member

Some stories just don't have outcomes and the author/s leave it up for interpretation. Inception was ambiguous. Blade Runner was ambiguous due to the different cuts. Even Evangelion has millions of different interpretations regarding its ending. It doesn't lessen the product. It enriches it (sometimes anyway).

In the end, we may never get a confirmation on Teresa. They may say she is, they may also say she isn't. I am not fussed either way because a character can be retconned at any point, by any writer. Best to just go with the flow.

Besides, this gives her further motivation as a character and sets up a thread that may be picked up later. Would you not read a global spanning book featuring Teresa as she hunts down answers and seeks revenge? Sounds like a cool mini-series to me.
    I never saw Inception and never heard of Evangelion ( I did like Blade Runner because of the Film Noir atmosphere). But taking this discussion to Spider-Man, what I hated about the Original Clone Saga, is you feel Marvel is playing mind games. ie: Who is real between Peter and Ben? I acknowledge that the audience does not need a resolution every single plot lines ( even in Blade Runner you learn Deckard and Rachael will be together in the end). Again taking this to Spider-Man, a problem with the Spencer run is too many plot lines left open ( and not just Theresa):

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I never saw Inception and never heard of Evangelion ( I did like Blade Runner because of the Film Noir atmosphere). But taking this discussion to Spider-Man, what I hated about the Original Clone Saga, is you feel Marvel is playing mind games. ie: Who is real between Peter and Ben? I acknowledge that the audience does not need a resolution every single plot lines ( even in Blade Runner you learn Deckard and Rachael will be together in the end). Again taking this to Spider-Man, a problem with the Spencer run is too many plot lines left open ( and not just Theresa):
    The later part I agree with. Even this issue you feel he opened more threads than he tied up. The only reason I think he would do so is if the Spidey office actually has intent to do something Teresa. I also don't see the Foreigner thread addressed in Sinister War either.

Or it could just be sloppy housekeeping by Spencer.

I don't care about Teresa Parker and I hope we don't see her again. This run started fun and entertaining but god since then the arcs feel like they will never end and I have found myself not caring since Hunted (which was by far my least favorite arc, not surprising because Kraven is my least favorite villian).
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

The later part I agree with. Even this issue you feel he opened more threads than he tied up. The only reason I think he would do so is if the Spidey office actually has intent to do something Teresa. I also don't see the Foreigner thread addressed in Sinister War either.

Or it could just be sloppy housekeeping by Spencer.
    I think it is sloppy housekeeping by Spencer ( although editorial has to take some blame as well). The historical comparison is Sins Past which JMS wrote with the intention of erasing. I know the Marvel Office said no to the twins being Peter’s but the entire idea should have been thrown in the trash and never allowed to happen. Of course, JMS left and never got the chance to erase that story. While I concede none of the Spencer left open plot lines are on the level of Sins Past ( although a BND reminder issue brought back and dropped is pretty bad), it is still a major negative as far as his run is concerned, and a blot on editorial for not making him close plot lines before moving on to new ones.