Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-FACTOR [10]: Finale Spoilers and Review

Sidebar: You can really tell that story arcs got bogged down to these last few isssues. Well I'm sure the Morrigan arc would have concluded with one or two more issues. But I believe that the Mojoverse/Shatterstar arc would have had a few more issues of story. The mystery of Aurora's death would have been expounded upon. And the death of Prodigy would have been given more air to breath. So yes these last two issues weren't perfect but she had to fit so much in because of cancellation. But also Leah can be wordy at times. Which I both like and dislike. Le sigh.

2nd Sidebar: As a gay male I did not find this story toxic, negative, bad, heinous or triggering. But I'm hispanic so i'll let someone of African decent give us their thoughts.

Starts off with the whole team getting ready for the Gala.

Right before they are going to walk through the portal Prodigy says that he forgot something and that he will meet them there. But what he's really doing is going on his side quest. He goes to a club in LA called Club Pepper and the bartenders are shocked to see him. They have a cellphone for him. The bartenders never thought they'd see him again and hand him a cellphone that Prodigy hasnt seen in over a year. And they tell him that he left it with them for safekeeping for 'reasons'. "They thought they'd never see him again" "Like the rest of them".

We see Prodigy headed to a mansion after that is owned by a rich film producer Buck Thatcher. And the man is shocked to see him. Prodigy says "came back from the dead to drag you to hell, baby" and Prodigy punches him in the face. This guy MURDERED Prodigy. But Eye Boy magically shows up to this mansion. Trevor knew Prodigy was lying and followed him.

This is the part that had Twittidiots in an uproar. It turns out that Prodigy was hunting down a serial killer that was going after queer POC. (Specifically black men). Prodigy was dead set on ending this serial killers run BUT he did not succeed. (This is the only thing that bothered me though. Even though he was depowered didnt he RETAIN all skills and knowledge he obtained previously? He should have been able to handle a measly human)

Anyways, Eye Boy shows us he has been experiementing with his powers does some sort of hand gestures that blast Buck Thatcher. They have such a great friendship and Trevor tells Prodigy he should let it out and cry. That it will make him feel better. Aurora and Daken show up because Psylocke raised the alarm that something was up. The victims bodies are still in the basement. What they show isn't at all bad but also not needed.

Aurora confronts the serial killer and tells him he is going to rot in jail because the authorities are coming.

Another sidebar: Daken and Aurora are officially dating now BUT in this quick exchange after she confronts the serial killer. We find out that Auora was in fact attacked by the mutant hate group which was probably extremely traumitizing and she used the car accident to kill Eddie (The guy she was dating at the time that was part of that group) Also Daken went back and killed the rest of the mutant hate group because Daken is Daken. And that line was probably only slipped in because people say he was neutered in this run.

Eye Boy and Prodigy head back to the party and its basically almost over but they have to get to the after party. Prodigy is surprised by Tommy who was invited by Trevor. (See. He's such a damn good friend)

And as they are walking to get to the after party they see someone passed out in the garden and Trevor tries to get Tommy not to go over but as we all know goes and this is where we find the body of Wanda AKA Scarlet Witch and Tommy is shocked. (I really didn't like him saying 'Mommy') but Trevor yells for Prodigy to get Northstar. And then it says continuing in TRIAL OF MAGNETO.

IDK where people got that final image with Wolverine, Jean Grey, Xavier and Magik over the body of Wanda. But it was not in my comixology copy.

Oh wait its after the page with the release schedule. My bad.

There was really an uproar yesterday for no reason. I thought this was a decent/good issue. And the ramifications of this issue are going to lead to awesomeness.

Ok. SOOOOOO. I'm re reading it. One of the dumbest things. SO BAD. IT SHOULDNT HAVE EVEN BEEN WRITTEN OR DRAWN. Is the Daken Aurora scene. Where Daken and Aurora are walking out. And Daken has a body bag he's carrying on his back. Which is PRODIGY'S body!!! And they are talking about things that they should NOT be talking about in that instance.
    Last edited by CGAR; 06-30-2021 at 07:40 AM.

Best issue of the series by far. It was all heart. Daken and Aurora are offically the hottest couple in comics.

Eyeboy is a good best friend and a super dangerous enemy to have.

I was laughing at Magneto cliche line about lorna having another drink already and was like no wonder he sought out wanda because he was probably thinking "Well i can't have a house with two members."

The prodigy death was not shocking at all to me, like not even a little bit.

i give it a solid 10/10. I feel a more lethal incarnation of X-force may be on the way maybe space X-force. There isn't a kill no aliens rule. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I’m a black bi male and I didn’t really have a problem with Leah’s story for Prodigy it just felt rushed, which had more to do with the cancellation, but her pieces have been too wordy and David’s mystery did need to be spaced out in other issues. The panel that showed the bodies was disturbing and could have been done without. Yet I’m not too fussy about that overall I’m neutral. Trevor is just leveling up and that’s fantastic. Tommy when he said mommy hit me hard.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Great issue despite it having to be rushed. Trevor and David shined and of course the ending is the shocker of the season.

I haven't read anything being said on Twitter but I did find it very interesting that Leah named the serial killer character "Buck". In the real world, Ed Buck is currently on trial for the suspicious death of a young black gay man found in Buck's West Hollywood (LA) home, and apparently it isn't the first time. https://www.out.com/news-opinion/201...asmyne-cannick

So it's possible it's hitting too close to home for some people. But again I haven't read what was tweeted so I dunno.
    Last edited by JB; 06-30-2021 at 09:20 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

First I am going to defend this issue from criticism from some corners. I do not at all believe the events in X-Factor #10 were racist. It had some of the needed darkness from the investigating murders angle the story dropped very early on in favor of wacky hijinks in the Mojo verse.

That out of the way the issue was a step up in terms of dealing with an actual murder mystery. I agree with the reviewer that the Daken's line was probably added in to deal with criticism. I do feel both he and Lorna have been too defanged and declawed and will say the line was something small though appreciated.

Leah continues her woman effort to redefine Polaris and Magneto's relationship as one of a domineering misogynist and his victim. Even if Leah wanted to move their relationship in that direction she has been entirely too 'on the nose' with her portrayal of the idea. Magneto can put up high expectations on Lorna though he has never tried dominating her in the kind of overt fashion we have seen in X-Factor. They have long had a complimentary relationship rather then victim/oppressor. Outside of that I have been unimpressed with Lorna's character in general on X-Factor.

That being said the issue was a solid though not spectacular way to rap up this iteration of the series.

A goog issue over all, nothing controversial or offensive, Kudos to Leah for managing to salvage Eyeboy a character introduced by Aaron to pass as a freak and comic relief
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Sidebar: You can really tell that story arcs got bogged down to these last few isssues. Well I'm sure the Morrigan arc would have concluded with one or two more issues. But I believe that the Mojoverse/Shatterstar arc would have had a few more issues of story. The mystery of Aurora's death would have been expounded upon. And the death of Prodigy would have been given more air to breath. So yes these last two issues weren't perfect but she had to fit so much in because of cancellation. But also Leah can be wordy at times. Which I both like and dislike. Le sigh.

2nd Sidebar: As a gay male I did not find this story toxic, negative, bad, heinous or triggering. But I'm hispanic so i'll let someone of African decent give us there thoughts.

Starts off with the whole team getting ready for the Gala.

Right before they are going to walk through the portal Prodigy says that he forgot something and that he will meet them there. But what he's really doing is going on his side quest. He goes to a club in LA called Club Pepper and the bartenders are shocked to see him. They have a cellphone for him. The bartenders never thought they'd see him again and hand him a cellphone that Prodigy hasnt seen in over a year. And they tell him that he left it with them for safekeeping for 'reasons'. "They thought they'd never see him again" "Like the rest of them".

We see Prodigy headed to a mansion after that is owned by a rich film producer Buck Thatcher. And the man is shocked to see him. Prodigy says "came back from the dead to drag you to hell, baby" and Prodigy punches him in the face. This guy MURDERED Prodigy. But Eye Boy magically shows up to this mansion. Trevor knew Prodigy was lying and followed him.

This is the part that had Twittidiots in an uproar. It turns out that Prodigy was hunting down a serial killer that was going have queer POC. (Specifically black men). Prodigy was dead set on ending this serial killers run BUT he did not succeed. (This is the only thing that bothered me though. Even thought he was depowered didnt he RETAIN all skills and knowledge he obtained previously? He should have been able to handle a measly human)

Anyways, Eye Boy shows us he has been experiementing with his powers does some sort of hand gestures that blast Buck Thatcher. They have such a great friendship and Trevor tells Prodigy he should let it out and cry. That it will make him feel better. Aurora and Daken show up because Psylocke raised the alarm that something was up. The victims bodies are still in the basement. What they show isn't at all bad but also not needed.

Aurora confronts the serial killer and tells him he is going to rot in jail because the authorities are coming.

Another sidebar: Daken and Aurora are officially dating now BUT in this quick exchange after she confronts the serial killer. We find out that Auora was in fact attacked by the mutant hate group which was probably extremely traumitizing and she used the car accident to kill Eddie (The guy she was dating at the time that was part of that group) Also Daken went back and killed the rest of the mutant hate group because Daken is Daken. And that line was probably only slipped in because people say he was neutered in this run.

Eye Boy and Prodigy head back to the party and its basically almost over but they have to get to the after party. Prodigy is surprised by Tommy who was invited by Trevor. (See. He's such a damn good friend)

And as they are walking to get to the after party they see someone passed out in the garden and Trevor tries to get Tommy not to go over but as we all know goes and this is where we find the body of Wanda AKA Scarlet Witch and Tommy is shocked. (I really didn't like him saying 'Mommy') but Trevor yells for Prodigy to get Northstar. And then it says continuing in TRIAL OF MAGNETO.

IDK where people got that final image with Wolverine, Jean Grey, Xavier and Magik over the body of Wanda. But it was not in my comixology copy.

Oh wait its after the page with the release schedule. My bad.

There was really an uproar yesterday for no reason. I thought this was a decent/good issue. And the ramifications of this issue are going to lead to awesomeness.

see i assumed the scene with his body and the way it showed the stairs and current prodigy leaning on them that the man pushed him down the stairs so while he was in no position to do much of anything.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

People appear to be angry about this particular panel. Is it true? Because, if so, I have . . . questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaryhawk View Post
    People appear to be angry about this particular panel. Is it true? Because, if so, I have . . . questions.

Mind you they were flirting because they were admitted serial killers who just killed the guy who killed Prodigy because he couldn't bring himself to do. And while they are outside flirting with his body the alive one is on his way back to the party feeling relief. So i guess if people throw away all the context i can can kind of see where they are coming from, but it's weird to me.

Actually let me walk that back it's still a reach. People think it's cute when it happens on Law and order in the coroner office or after zipping up a body.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Regarding Polaris. I kind of took it like I am with my dad. Like he's says things and I'm kind like "Yeah sure dad whatever you say" w unveiled sarcasm.

And Polaris is all the Magneto currently has so I can see why he's a little more on her.

He's basically like a stage mom to me. Which I now realize isnt healthy at all. LOL

Yeah upon rereading. THAT is a dumb awful panel.

Mighty Member

Part of me feels the all those rumors of how offensive this issue was came from Marvel themselves haha!

Prodigy is not even dead, mutant currently consider their bodies as nothing more than husks, scott and emma were making up in front of Jean’s grave and she was dead for real, it’s not the end of the world.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Bye bye Pretender!
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I don't know.

It's hard for me to judge these last two issues, as we know this book was cancelled and Williams had to cram a lot of stuff in X-Factor's finale. For me though, it just didn't work. Again way too much stuff going on, and not a lot of time to breathe and let things sink in, or explore with the nuance required.

I do appreciate Williams wrapping things up though. What happened to David, and Aurora isn't left unanswered.