Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I definitely agree that Marvel is wrong for assuming that the Phoenix Force is "evil." I think, like all cosmic forces, it should be beyond the scope of such a simplistic and subjectively human definition.

I also think that it's fine time that Marvel stop selling the "absolute power corrupts absolutely" crap that they usually push whenever someone gets this level of power. That has been done to death. I'm really hoping that they'll take the opportunity to explore Echo's relationship with the PF and not resolve it in such a trite fashion.
    Well said my friend!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Well, the problem is that they are given powers that aren't exactly unique.

The original Thunderbird was killed off because his powers were too much like Wolverine's, even though Thunderbird was far stronger and faster. Shaman and Talisman both have interesting powers from the standpoint that magic opens the door for any number of possibilities, but with Dr. Strange and countless other magic types running around, you probably won't get many events where they are the featured mystical character. And I don't even know where to begin with Forge, since he's supposed to be the confluence of magic and science, but he's written more like a gun-toting jack of all trades and master of none. (How his mutant ability works is also annoying to me.)

Even Echo with her photographic reflexes just reminds one of the Taskmaster, who has the same ability and far more of a fan following. And now that she is the Phoenix, well, Marvel likes doubling down, I guess.

From a powers standpoint, it's unfortunate that many of these characters just reminds one of other more prominent characters. It would have been nice if the writers brought something new to the table for Echo.
    I heard the same thing about Thunderbird, but it made me mad that they created this character and then killed him off. Why even create him then?

Talisman I always looked at differently though. While Shaman-like, she had much more innate power and with the Coronet of Enchantment, Liz became much more powerful than Shaman, although Shaman did have different type of power too with his mystical pouch.

I do not even pretend to understand why they gave the Phoenix Force to Echo. The character was fine before it and if not, extend her existing powers. The PF just does not seem to fit her IMHO.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 11-16-2021 at 06:52 PM.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I heard the same thing about Thunderbird, but it made me mad that they created this character and then killed him off. Why even create him then?
    I didn't understand the planning, either. They knew they were going to have Wolverine and Colossus, both of whom make Thunderbird's powerset redundant. (And now that I think about it, with Phoenix on the team, maybe they thought having one member with a callback to a mythical avian creature was enough? And I guess there was also Storm on the team, so having a Thunderbird might have also been a bit problematic thematically, although I doubt many of the readers cared about that sort of thing. I know I didn't.)

At any rate, the X-creative team should have given Thunderbird a unique power. I mean I thought that was the main appeal of writing mutants. You could give a character any random power that you wanted. They didn't have to be limited to the usual spate of powers that you saw in many of the existing male characters., i.e., strength, speed, fighting prowess, etc. But oh well, such is life.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 11-16-2021 at 07:46 PM.

Ultimate Member

I didn't understand the planning, either. They knew they were going to have Wolverine and Colossus, both of whom make Thunderbird's powerset redundant. (And now that I think about it, with Phoenix on the team, maybe they thought having one member with a callback to a mythical avian creature was enough? And I guess there was also Storm on the team, so having a Thunderbird might have also been a bit problematic thematically, although I doubt many of the readers cared about that sort of thing. I know I didn't.)

At any rate, the X-creative team should have given Thunderbird a unique power. I mean I thought that was the main appeal of writing mutants. You could give a character any random power that you wanted. They didn't have to be limited to the usual spate of powers that you saw in many of the existing male characters., i.e., strength, speed, fighting prowess, etc. But oh well, such is life.
    Yeah, something like telepathy or invisibility. Something actually interesting.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Well said my friend!
    They could actually use the PF to show how great power can be helpful, in the right hands.

Alaqua Cox premier Hawkeye

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Alaqua Cox premier Hawkeye

She looks lovely. And like she has diamond brass knuckles .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She looks lovely. And like she has diamond brass knuckles .
    Playing the part. Living the part.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Kinda nuts how she went from "no acting experience whatsoever" to "lead in her own 100+ million dollar series"

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

It's not a problem when characters have similar powers. The difference is in the personalities given to those characters and how they act, react and utilize those powers. (Which on a tangent is a problem in modern comics....many writers have no idea how to write personalities any more, they write to events with reactions through applied force of power. There's little in the way of character development any more.) So having a character like Thunderbird on the same team with a character like Wolverine wasn't a problem necessarily. The difference would have been in how each react and interact.
    Aaron has long had a thing for the Phoenix force it seems and I am not sure why Echo was chosen (I guess it makes as much sense as giving it to Jean the first time around.) I wish Echo could have been developed as she was, especially since she is getting her own Disney+ show. There's other characters I think it would have been more interesting to see developed with the PF (Firebird for instance.) Who knows, after this maybe they will turn the PF into a Captain Universe type and just have it bounce around to different characters as a deus-ex-machina is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    It's not a problem when characters have similar powers. The difference is in the personalities given to those characters and how they act, react and utilize those powers. (Which on a tangent is a problem in modern comics....many writers have no idea how to write personalities any more, they write to events with reactions through applied force of power. There's little in the way of character development any more.) So having a character like Thunderbird on the same team with a character like Wolverine wasn't a problem necessarily. The difference would have been in how each react and interact.
    Aaron has long had a thing for the Phoenix force it seems and I am not sure why Echo was chosen (I guess it makes as much sense as giving it to Jean the first time around.) I wish Echo could have been developed as she was, especially since she is getting her own Disney+ show. There's other characters I think it would have been more interesting to see developed with the PF (Firebird for instance.) Who knows, after this maybe they will turn the PF into a Captain Universe type and just have it bounce around to different characters as a deus-ex-machina is needed.
    Phoenix was meant to be one and the same with Jean Grey, that is why she was "choosen". Really don't understand what you mean here

I’m curious... did they ever explain how Echo came back from the dead after she was killed in Bendis’ Moon Knight?
    Last edited by vitaminbee; 11-25-2021 at 10:11 PM.

Incredible Member

Another question: I was flipping through New Avengers #39 (2008), and Wolverine says he hasn't mentioned their history because he's a gentleman. So when did Echo and Wolverine hook up?

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    Another question: I was flipping through New Avengers #39 (2008), and Wolverine says he hasn't mentioned their history because he's a gentleman. So when did Echo and Wolverine hook up?
    You answered your own question: Wolverine gave no details

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    Didn’t they meet when Maya was on a “vision quest”?