Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I honestly don't need any more shirtless scenes.

As for MJ, I guess attractivenesss part of her character, but if it's not there, I don't miss it at all
    Same.But people(not you) are very vocal for Female heroes who show more skin than necessary but are indifferent to this.Seems a bit double standard-y to me.

Fair enough.It's just when the throw her looks they (so far) throw her entire personality away as well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, to a large extent people are over using that word. the way some people use it, it basically applies to almost every single superhero, male and female. Jean Grey? too sexy, Storm? Too sexy! Velma Dinkley? WAY too sexy! Karima Shapandar (insert gif of a sign saying lewd)

Then you stop and look at it and go... wait a second... These are normal clothes like you'd see someone wearing at the supermarket... how is it too sexy? Or is it the idealized figure... like you see on almost everyone in comics?
    You nailed it on the head my friend.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Same.But people(not you) are very vocal for Female heroes who show more skin than necessary but are indifferent to this.Seems a bit double standard-y to me.

Fair enough.It's just when the throw her looks they (so far) throw her entire personality away as well.
    You mean in the MCU?

Extraordinary Member

You mean in the MCU?
    Yup.
    And the ps4 game.

Both are good characters but not MJ, not even close.

Closest we have got is spectacular MJ, which was f*cking amazing.

Astonishing Member

Yup.
    And the ps4 game.

Maybe but Peter is never Peter so I don't see why people are complaining.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Maybe but Peter is never Peter so I don't see why people are complaining.
    Nah Peter is pretty consistent in most.
    Specially compared to MJ who is nothing like her counterparts.

And I'm not mad.I was just pointing out the personality and looks of MJ and how they seem to go hand in hand.
    Most people aren't mad about this either I think.

That's my point. It's been around so much it's a cliche. Hot girl exists as a prize for nerdy guy. Why not have nerdyguy & nerdy girl together
    Tropes are not inherently bad. I would also argue that in popular culture, Peter and MJ are one of the couples that popularized the trope in the first place vs. being a stale re-tread of it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Tropes are not inherently bad. I would also argue that in popular culture, Peter and MJ are one of the couples that popularized the trope in the first place vs. being a stale re-tread of it.
    This.They were created when the trope wasn't as popular and definitely not stale.
    And besides, they have one of the best executions we have seen period.
    Even if you aren't a fan of tropes in general or just this one this couple is still amazing.

Ultimate Member

Yup.
    And the ps4 game.

I didn't dislike PS4 MJ. I think the hate is overdone sometimes

While they did popularize it, that also can make it seem dated

I disagree, it's a core aspect of what makes Spider-Man, Spider-Man. I think we're also forgetting that in-universe, Peter Parker is hot. All of the superheroes are hot, unless specifically stated otherwise. Peter being a nerd doesn't make him ugly, just not as stereotypically masculine as someone like Flash, or able to afford to be as well groomed and put together as someone like Harry. It seems less like MJ is a hot trophy for Peter and more like we're just supposed to be taken aback by the type of guy she's going for, not that she's so much more beautiful than him they look physically mismatched. At least to me.

Astonishing Member

That's my point. It's been around so much it's a cliche. Hot girl exists as a prize for nerdy guy. Why not have nerdyguy & nerdy girl together
    It's only a cliche when people start to dislike it.

People like Peter and MJ together, so it's not a cliche.

Ultimate Member

I disagree, it's a core aspect of what makes Spider-Man, Spider-Man. I think we're also forgetting that in-universe, Peter Parker is hot. All of the superheroes are hot, unless specifically stated otherwise. Peter being a nerd doesn't make him ugly, just not as stereotypically masculine as someone like Flash, or able to afford to be as well groomed and put together as someone like Harry. It seems less like MJ is a hot trophy for Peter and more like we're just supposed to be taken aback by the type of guy she's going for, not that she's so much more beautiful than him they look physically mismatched. At least to me.
    If they're all hot then why does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It's only a cliche when people start to dislike it.

People like Peter and MJ together, so it's not a cliche.
    I don't dislike them together. But my main point is it's not a problem if she's not portrayed as attractive in various adaptations.

It doesn't matter, that's why I'm not sure why you're framing MJ being hot as a problematic aspect of the character (or her relationship with Peter) that requires analysis. Comics didn't decide to associate models and actresses with physical beauty, society did that. Superhero comics are largely about escapism and idealized depictions of humanity; humans like beauty. There are also versions of the character that don't have her looks played up, MCU MJ for example is never depicted glamorously.

Ultimate Member

Ok, but I've seen people complain about her not being "hot" in other adaptations.

I guess my point is: why are people so attached to this idea?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Mary-Jane being attractive is part of her lore just like with other characters like Storm, the Storm siblings, Steve rogers, She-Hulk, Thor, etc.
    "Cable was right!"