Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    My friend was a dedicated Darkhawk fan since the early 90s. He’s waited years for current Marvel to start boosting up the character and his potential like Nova during the first Annihilation event.

Only for my friend to find out, Chris is dead now and being replaced by a a young Asian male with multiple sclerosis.

So now he blames diversity.
    There are other darkhawks in the past as well,not just christopher powell.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Darkhawk

Oh and what is asian male name?
    I look him up and can't i find him and chis bio says he is still alive.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Chris...ll_(Earth-616)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    There are other darkhawks in the past as well,not just christopher powell.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Darkhawk

Oh and what is asian male name?
    I look him up and can't i find him and chis bio says he is still alive.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Chris...ll_(Earth-616)
    His name is Connor Young

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    But it may be for the best that the monthly Diamond charts are dead. So often you had people pointing to Moon Girl or something selling like 10k copies through Diamond as evidence of some kind of agenda on Marvel's part. When the reality is, in Moon Girl's case, the Diamond numbers were the afterthought, rather than the other way around. That book sold mainly through Scholastic book fairs. We don't have specific numbers for how well it sold there, but according to some things people at Marvel have said, it was a LOT. It became one of the first real indicators that the Diamond charts were becoming irrelevant, even for the Big Two. But since they were all people had as far as sales figures were concerned, they kept being treated as if they actually represented the whole picture, when they didn't. So it may be for the best that the readers are flying blind now, for the most part. Read what you like, hope for the best.
    While people can misuse any bit of information out there, I would rather people throw numbers at me that I can make an opinion about myself over relying on people from the publisher that have every reason to not be 'truthful' and give no room whatsoever to scrutinize what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    ....Shoujos on the other hand have had a better history of diversity, namely Sailor Moon, which featured many LGBT characters and is frequently cited by many as their introduction to those themes in the 90s, at a time when representation was almost completely absent.
    I was about to bring up Sailor Moon (namely Uranus and Neptune), ya beat me to it.

Also, Piccolo of Dragon Ball Z (my favorite character from that manga/anime) is very likely coded as queer. You can tell this if you examine his character in any depth; his alien species is made up entirely of males, he is initially an outsider and always remains such to a large extent even after he formally joins the Z Fighters.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-01-2021 at 08:20 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Thanks for the suppor. I think people blame SJWs because they assume the status quo is the natural state of things when that's far from true. In fact it's actually just as forced if not more so. And IMO forcing diversity, if that even happens, is still better than forcing conformity. Of course Marvel has had problematic editorial mandates, but many of those probably actually created the status quo the anti-SJWs like so much

They're pointing that out because diversity is also needed behind the scenes, often to help things be more authentic to the characters' demographics' portrayals but also to support diversity in general in an industry previously lacking it. It matters to a lot of people and isn't mutually exclusive to good storytelling, so it can be a selling point
    Forced diversity hurts characters that people already love.It's always bad.

And I said diversity should not be an excuse to sell bad comics.I won't buy a comic because it's written by anyone if it's bad.It should be a minor selling point at most.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Forced diversity hurts characters that people already love.It's always bad.

And I said diversity should not be an excuse to sell bad comics.I won't buy a comic because it's written by anyone if it's bad.It should be a minor selling point at most.
    No one's using diversity as an excuse to sell bad comics. But comics with White guys get dozens of chances no matter how bad they are. Minorities should get the same chances. And it's not forced just because you may not like it.

Extraordinary Member

No one's using diversity as an excuse to sell bad comics. But comics with White guys get dozens of chances no matter how bad they are. Minorities should get the same chances. And it's not forced just because you may not like it.
    Agreed.They should both get chances.But they don't advertise white people writing it as a selling point.
    I'm just saying as a POC I don't care what the writers race, etc. is.
    If it's good its good, but if it's bad it's bad.
    I'm not going to give the comic brownie points for having a POC writer.

And I said forced diversity is bad in response to you saying that Forced diversity is better than forced conformity.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 07-01-2021 at 08:47 PM.

I'm pretty skeptical that forced diversity is even a thing.
    People are diverse. It only makes sense that our art and entertainment reflect that.
    What is unnatural is forced conformity.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    People are diverse. It only makes sense that our art and entertainment reflect that.
    I would say killing of a character disrespectfully then replacing them with someone who is then better than them and sh*ting on the legacy of the original is forced.

Ultimate Member

Agreed.They should both get chances.But they don't advertise white people writing it as a selling point.
    I'm just saying as a POC I don't care what the writers race, etc. is.
    If it's good its good, but if it's bad it's bad.
    I'm not going to give the comic brownie points for having a POC writer.

And I said forced diversity is bad in response to you saying that Forced diversity is better than forced conformity.
    Because White writers haven't always understood non-White experiences, and non-White writers haven't always had a chance, so of course Marvel will point that out. No one's asking you to give brownie points for anything, but if fans of older White characters constantly complain PoC heroes aren't good enough, then nothing will ever progress.

And I only said forced diversity because it was mentioned elsewhere. I don't believe it exists myself

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Exactly, it's not a thing. Conformity has been enforced in society for centuries.

I would say killing of a character disrespectfully then replacing them with someone who is then better than them and sh*ting on the legacy of the original is forced.
    When has that happened? All characters come back eventually. Newer and PoC heroes are more likely to get killed off and forgotten or disliked for being new
    Last edited by CosmiComic; 07-01-2021 at 08:54 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Ex.
    Miles venom blasts one shot goblin, the same one that killed peter without taking any damage.
    Miles takes out Blackheart when he just took down all the avengers, hell Spider-man is knocked out by falling like 3 feet.It's a horrible fight with scaling all over the place.

That feels forced.

Ultimate Member

Ex.
    Miles venom blasts one shot goblin, the same one that killed peter without taking any damage.
    Miles takes out Blackheart when he just took down all the avengers, hell Spider-man is knocked out by falling like 3 feet.It's a horrible fight with scaling all over the place.

That feels forced.
    No it's not. You just didn't like it. The balancing is off but comics have always been like that. How is that the fault of Miles being a PoC?

Extraordinary Member

Because White writers haven't always understood non-White experiences, and non-White writers haven't always had a chance, so of course Marvel will point that out. No one's asking you to give brownie points for anything, but if fans of older White characters constantly complain PoC heroes aren't good enough, then nothing will ever progress.

And I only said forced diversity because it was mentioned elsewhere. I don't believe it exists myself

When has that happened? All characters come back eventually. Newer and PoC heroes are more likely to get killed off and forgotten or disliked for being new
    Again never said that they shouldn't point it out.
    There are good legacy characters.
    Miguel is an actual good character, specially when compared to Miles.

Fair enough.

Just because death isn't permanent doesn't mean it hasn't happened.Just check out how they replaced Iron Fist recently without killing him.

Extraordinary Member

No it's not. You just didn't like it.
    Bruh what.
    Read the fight.

It's full of more PIS than Spider-man beating a herald of galactus.

Extraordinary Member

"Not only does he get everything handed to him, he then turns around and b*tches and whines about EVERYTHING. Every panel of his solo book I've seen and almost every panel he had in spider-verse, Miles is crying about something the entire time. Peter's life has been 100 times worse and this kid acts like he's the only one on earth with shitty family or a dark past."

A quote from some thread i can't find.

Nothing is earned ever. He has no struggles, even for the beginning. Fury instantly takes him in. Capt America wants to train him, Aunt May and MJ give him web shooters. Ganke makes his web fluid. Every single fight ends with venom blast the single most op move ever it would seem. In the last 10 years he hasn't had one good villain besides his Uncle. Right before Secret Wars Bendis saw the need to have him be bit by a second spider to acquire and all new power set as to keep us interested or something. He is incredibly under developed for how long he has been around and a most of the side cast like his father have gotten more development than him. To top it all off the one thing he had going for him was his mother dying. Something he could use to always remember like a Uncle Ben. But what does Bendis do? He brings her back. Now in 616 he has Peter giving him toys he has Tony building him webshooters. This kid literally just gets everything on silver platter.

Why should I care about this guy when we already have a better legacy character and a POC to:-Miguel O'hara.

Diversity is good but it doesn't excuse bad characters.
    We have good POC characters, use them.
    Hell Miguel is also been around longer.