Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Again never said that they shouldn't point it out.
    There are good legacy characters.
    Miguel is an actual good character, specially when compared to Miles.

Fair enough.

Just because death isn't permanent doesn't mean it hasn't happened.Just check out how they replaced Iron Fist recently without killing him.
    Ok, well, I'm a little confused as to what you're complaining about.

I haven't read the new Iron Fist yet, so I can't totally speak to what happened, but I know he was replaced. I'm guessing eventually the status quo will return

Bruh what.
    Read the fight.

It's full of more PIS than Spider-man beating a herald of galactus.
    I didn't say it was a good fight. I read it and I thought it was unbalanced too, although maybe Blackheart was weakened by fighting so much. Anyway, my point is, why blame diversity for that?

Ultimate Member

Bruh what.
    Read the fight.

It's full of more PIS than Spider-man beating a herald of galactus.
    And when Peter beat the crap out of Firelord did anyone make reference to his race? Nope, when a black boy beats an Uber powerful character it’s because “diversity.

Please make this make sense,

Ultimate Member

"Not only does he get everything handed to him, he then turns around and b*tches and whines about EVERYTHING. Every panel of his solo book I've seen and almost every panel he had in spider-verse, Miles is crying about something the entire time. Peter's life has been 100 times worse and this kid acts like he's the only one on earth with shitty family or a dark past."

A quote from some thread i can't find.

Nothing is earned ever. He has no struggles, even for the beginning. Fury instantly takes him in. Capt America wants to train him, Aunt May and MJ give him web shooters. Ganke makes his web fluid. Every single fight ends with venom blast the single most op move ever it would seem. In the last 10 years he hasn't had one good villain besides his Uncle. Right before Secret Wars Bendis saw the need to have him be bit by a second spider to acquire and all new power set as to keep us interested or something. He is incredibly under developed for how long he has been around and a most of the side cast like his father have gotten more development than him. To top it all off the one thing he had going for him was his mother dying. Something he could use to always remember like a Uncle Ben. But what does Bendis do? He brings her back. Now in 616 he has Peter giving him toys he has Tony building him webshooters. This kid literally just gets everything on silver platter.

Why should I care about this guy when we already have a better legacy character and a POC to:-Miguel O'hara.
    What exactly did Peter earn? He was accidentally bit by a radioactive spider. Half of these OG heroes didn't earn anything

And why exactly does a hero need a bunch of villains? I don't think the rogues gallery thing is even as factual as some claim it is

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    And when Peter beat the crap out of Firelord did anyone make reference to his race? Nope, when a black boy beats an Uber powerful character it’s because “diversity.

Please make this make sense,
    People are always hyping up Peter Parker as this "I hold back but I'm really powerful" guy. Maybe Miles wasn't holding back?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ok, well, I'm a little confused as to what you're complaining about.

I haven't read the new Iron Fist yet, so I can't totally speak to what happened, but I know he was replaced. I'm guessing eventually the status quo will return

I didn't say it was a good fight. I read it and I thought it was unbalanced too, although maybe Blackheart was weakened by fighting so much. Anyway, my point is, why blame diversity for that?
    I don't care if he was replaced, it's how.
    They literally have him say he doesn't deserve it and he was never a good iron fist.
    Like what... this guy who has given so much now isn't good at his job.

He wasn't, he just rolled through the avengers.
    And how is Spider-man knocked by 3 feet fall , he's in his strongest armor as well.
    I wasn't blaming diversity entirely, just saying it was forced as hell.
    I do agree not the best example of diversity, should have stated something else.

Extraordinary Member

People are always hyping up Peter Parker as this "I hold back but I'm really powerful" guy. Maybe Miles wasn't holding back?
    Bruh it's pretty much agreed upon that Firelord was PIS.
    Also the way they do it is disrespectful as hell
    And Miles isn't nearly as strong as Peter,he has 1610 powers.We have seen it be a point in Peter's comics that he only uses a fraction of his strength(his own words), never in miles.
    And peter uses his brains to win in tough fights, Miles just uses Venom Sting.

Ultimate Member

I don't care if he was replaced, it's how.
    They literally have him say he doesn't deserve it and he was never a good iron fist.
    Like what... this guy who has given so much now isn't good at his job.

He wasn't, he just rolled through the avengers.
    And how is Spider-man knocked by 3 feet fall , he's in his strongest armor as well.
    I wasn't blaming diversity entirely, just saying it was forced as hell.
    I do agree not the best example of diversity, should have stated something else.
    Ok, it may be forced or whatever, or maybe just more inconsistency with superpowers like what often happens with comics. Either way, what does that have to do with diversity?

Bruh it's pretty much agreed upon that Firelord was PIS.
    Also the way they do it is disrespectful as hell
    Ok. I'm not sure what you mean about it being disrespectful

Extraordinary Member

What exactly did Peter earn? He was accidentally bit by a radioactive spider. Half of these OG heroes didn't earn anything

And why exactly does a hero need a bunch of villains? I don't think the rogues gallery thing is even as factual as some claim it is
    He earned the respect of the Ultimates.
    He wasn't accepeted instantly by them or by fury.
    He made his own stuff and struggled to win.
    Miles get a free pass everywhere and everyone just accepts him.

And villains are important.
    10 years and the guy has no good ones.
    Peter has the entire sinsiter six and the green goblin, mysterio, kraven, etc. along with likes of punisher and Kingpin.

Extraordinary Member

Ok, it may be forced or whatever, or maybe just more inconsistency with superpowers like what often happens with comics. Either way, what does that have to do with diversity?

Ok. I'm not sure what you mean about it being disrespectful
    I agree.It's a bad example for that.

It disrespects the avengers and specially Spider-man in the way he was knocked out.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Peter has the entire sinsiter six and the green goblin, mysterio, kraven, etc. along with likes of punisher and Kingpin.
    Yeah but characters like Captain America felt like it was their fault that Ultimate Peter died hence why they treat Miles differently

Ultimate Member

Maybe because Miles is more cooperative than Peter? That goes a long way.

As for villains, most heroes don't have the number of villains Peter does. That doesn't make them any less good as characters. I'd argue moving away from villain-centric stories isn't necessarily a bad idea

I agree.It's a bad example for that.

It disrespects the avengers and specially Spider-man in the way he was knocked out.
    Ok

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Yeah but characters like Captain America felt like it was their fault that Ultimate Peter died hence why they treat Miles differently
    Expect Peter proved himself and they still they couldn't help him.
    Miles hasn't done anything to prove himself yet.

So Peter earned everything and got nothing and Miles was coddled for doing nothing,

Extraordinary Member

Maybe because Miles is more cooperative than Peter? That goes a long way.

As for villains, most heroes don't have the number of villains Peter does. That doesn't make them any less good as characters. I'd argue moving away from villain-centric stories isn't necessarily a bad idea

Ok
    Except he isn't.
    Again he nothing to replace said aspect of villains.

Ultimate Member

Except he isn't.
    Again he nothing to replace said aspect of villains.
    Well, he seems more willing to work with others than Peter, who's more of a loner. At least, that's the impression I got. Hasn't Peter gotten into fights with F4 and X-Men?

I don't disagree about Miles' comics needing improvements, but I don't think he necessarily needs to follow Peter's template too closely

Ultimate Member

Anyway, for the some of the traditional audience, newer diverse characters are seen as a threat.It’s very common in the US to treat issues of race as a zero sum game. That’s why the second people hear “Asian writer” they get triggered. It’s why athletes get cancelled for peaceful protests and why “black lives matter” as a phrase is somehow a dangerous statement.

Diversity in comics and media in general is important. Especially as the US (and even Canada where I now reside) is becoming more diverse at a fairly rapid pace. My boy is just 6 years old and when I was doing the character creation thing in Dark Souls 2 (I’m just playing the Scholar of the First Sin remaster) he was actually curious if I could make the character look like “us”. Why? Because as a minority we hardly see ourselves represented as heroes (I’m old enough to remember just how badly block people were treated in action and horror movies, all of which has contributed to the devaluation of black lives in the US) This stuff matters and thankfully things are changing for the better in that regard (despite the resistance from some boomers). The “black doll” test can only be put in the past permanently by proper minority representation. Without that, there’s going to be a whole generation of minority children that see superhero comics as nothing more than trash.There’s a reason why the black community came out massively for Black Panther the way they did, people want to see people who like them be heroes. I believe it was some movie exec that made that point some years ago (I actually can’t remember).

As for the comics, the big two aren’t being revolutionary when it comes to diversity. They were bold in the 60s and 70s but seemed to retreat from that after a while. As someone pointed out, Japanese Manga as an entire LGBT sub genre and in recent times, massive manga like My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan actually have black characters. Seriously, even in a homogenous society like Japan, some creators realize that society is comprised of different people from gender to sexuality to race. That’s part of the reason Manga can cater to such a large audience. Folks shouldn’t get this stuff twisted, Manga caters to a very, very broad audience. American Indies have been far more diverse and are even beating the big two (see how much Eve from Boom Studios sold, a title featuring a black girl). Movies, tv and the music industry has caught up with the fact that targeting a diverse audience is the way to go, the big two just woke up to this recently and it’s a bit late.

The folks complaining about diversity in Marvel and DC are misguided, bigoted and/or racist. We’ve had different Spider-men but when it comes to the black kid, they freak out, there’s been different Robins but the mere hint of a black Robin sent people up a wall, even brand new characters like Moon Girl (a title directed at young women) freaked out the anti-SJW crowd. Seriously, these guys were freaking out at Falcon and The Winter Soldier and now Loki for being “woke”. Now, I’m not advocating changing characters race or sexuality but I don’t mind seeing a female Wolverine, a black Superman, a black Spider-Man and a female Hawkeye. All these characters can co-exist in the public consciousness if managed well and it’s good to for younger minority kids to see heroes that look like that.

If American superhero comics want to remain relevant (especially seeing as they’ve broken free from Diamond), they need to use an expanded distribution channel to cater to a more diverse audience. This isn’t the 60s or 70s, majority of childbirths in the US today are no longer to white people (last time I checked) and ignoring this fact will keep superhero comics as a niche hobby for an aging audience.
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-02-2021 at 04:15 AM.