Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I was curious about this issue of one of the oversized Marvel Treasury editions. They were hard to find in my area since there weren't that many comic shops yet. I think they would sometimes market these for the book stores like Kroch & Brentano's, which had chain of stores in the Chicagoland area. I don't think I've ever seen this one mentioned. I was glad to see Marvel Unlimited has a copy of it.

NOT AN ENTRY

This was totally a Jack Kirby production (writer, artist, editor) except for the inking done by Herbe Trimpe, John Romita Sr and a "B.Smith" (Barry Windsor Smith maybe???) . Coloring by Phil Rachelson.

Here is the front cover and one of the pinups.

I don't recall seeing the treasury editions anywhere except for either B. Dalton or Walden Books, in shopping malls. Those might have been west coast stores, not sure. They were basically my go to for any kind of comic book related stuff that you couldn't find on the spinners.

The biggest problem with the treasury editions was that if you spent your hard-earned allowance on them, it could not be hidden from mom and dad. And they would almost always give me an earful if they caught me buying funny books, especially big extravagant looking ones like one of those biggies!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Zelena gets my vote

ChadH

I love Mo Gollub covers!

Votin' for Riv86672.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Incredible Member

K7P5V with the original eagle cover.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

K7P5V 'cuz so classic
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I vote Riv86672!

Tami for the goofy and fun Golden Age Superboy cover. I read that issue. The story is just as good as the cover makes it look
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Stony. Those eagles look legit snobby!

Whoo hoo 2 votes ... looks at others, notes at least one person with 3 votes.

But Iron Maiden.
    It is Loki and I'm enjoying the show.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I don't recall seeing the treasury editions anywhere except for either B. Dalton or Walden Books, in shopping malls. Those might have been west coast stores, not sure. They were basically my go to for any kind of comic book related stuff that you couldn't find on the spinners.

The biggest problem with the treasury editions was that if you spent your hard-earned allowance on them, it could not be hidden from mom and dad. And they would almost always give me an earful if they caught me buying funny books, especially big extravagant looking ones like one of those biggies!
    And strange as it sounds, we thought that $1.50 cover price was a LOT OF MONEY!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    From a Twomorrows interview:
    Thanks for posting that. I love the Twomorrows company and their fine catalog of magazines. It's always amazing to see how Stan would hire such young talent.

Englehart Humperdinck for that Jack Kirby cover with Uncle Sam, Captain America and the Amercian Eagle commemorating the Bicentennial.

Hard to decide with all the great and the wacky covers submitted.

Honorable Mentions: Tami, MRP, Ajax_x, and CaptCleghorn
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-06-2021 at 10:09 PM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Nschornhorst for brilliantly upstaging me!
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I was curious about this issue of one of the oversized Marvel Treasury editions. They were hard to find in my area since there weren't that many comic shops yet. I think they would sometimes market these for the book stores like Kroch & Brentano's, which had chain of stores in the Chicagoland area. I don't think I've ever seen this one mentioned. I was glad to see Marvel Unlimited has a copy of it.

NOT AN ENTRY

This was totally a Jack Kirby production (writer, artist, editor) except for the inking done by Herbe Trimpe, John Romita Sr and a "B.Smith" (Barry Windsor Smith maybe???) . Coloring by Phil Rachelson.

Here is the front cover and one of the pinups.

Is it just me, or does the Red Skull's Hessian helmet make him look more like a Nazi pope?
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.