Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I guess that teenie, tiny eagle in the background counts.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

^^^
    gorgeous Mo Gollub cover!
    Last edited by Shalla Bal; 07-07-2021 at 11:19 AM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

It's the Golden Eagle drawn by Dale EAGLEsham.

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Englehart Humperdinck View Post
    Marvel Treasury Special Featuring Captain America's Bicentennial Battles #1 (back cover)
    I was curious about this issue of one of the oversized Marvel Treasury editions. They were hard to find in my area since there weren't that many comic shops yet. I think they would sometimes market these for the book stores like Kroch & Brentano's, which had chain of stores in the Chicagoland area. I don't think I've ever seen this one mentioned. I was glad to see Marvel Unlimited has a copy of it.

NOT AN ENTRY

This was totally a Jack Kirby production (writer, artist, editor) except for the inking done by Herbe Trimpe, John Romita Sr and a "B.Smith" (Barry Windsor Smith maybe???) . Coloring by Phil Rachelson.

Here is the front cover and one of the pinups.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I was curious about this issue of one of the oversized Marvel Treasury editions. They were hard to find in my area since there weren't that many comic shops yet. I think they would sometimes market these for the book stores like Kroch & Brentano's, which had chain of stores in the Chicagoland area. I don't think I've ever seen this one mentioned. I was glad to see Marvel Unlimited has a copy of it.

NOT AN ENTRY

This was totally a Jack Kirby production (writer, artist, editor) except for the inking done by Herbe Trimpe, John Romita Sr and a "B.Smith" (Barry Windsor Smith maybe???) . Coloring by Phil Rachelson.

Here is the front cover and one of the pinups.
    I have a copy of that. Yes that is Barry Windsor Smith. Kirby fans are very fond of that book, as wacky as it is. Or maybe because it is so wacky.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Thanks for posting that! What a great piece to have! I recall Barry Windsor Smith used to emulate Kirby in his early years and of course he would develop his own style. But he was a huge Kirby fan. I wonder if they ever met? Of course, Kirby may have moved to California by then and BWS is British so there would be that.

Thanks for posting that! What a great piece to have! I recall Barry Windsor Smith used to emulate Kirby in his early years and of course he would develop his own style. But he was a huge Kirby fan. I wonder if they ever met? Of course, Kirby may have moved to California by then and BWS is British so there would be that.
    From a Twomorrows interview:

CBA: Did you meet Jack Kirby? Did he look over your work?
    Barry: I met Jack only once and it was during that first year. It's an old cliché , I know, but I was really surprised that I, at 18 years, was taller than The King. I had envisioned him as a physical giant as well as a creative one. He was a lovely man, thoughtful and considerate, and although he could obviously see that I was imitating his style, in my own less than skillful way, he was not the least put out by it and simply said, "You've got some strong design here, Stan likes that." I have always regretted not knowing Jack better. I've had a few chances, over the years, to approach him and take of his time, but I always stayed away, not wanting to bother him. I guess I thought he was going to live forever and I'd just catch up with him one day in the future. I was mistaken about that. I used to be a neighbor to John Lennon and Yoko; I'd see them around just like I'd see any other neighbor but I never approached him (even though I knew that he liked my work) because I had the same imaginary sense that I had with Kirby; that we'd get together eventually, naturally, somehow. I was wrong about John, too.

I was curious about this issue of one of the oversized Marvel Treasury editions. They were hard to find in my area since there weren't that many comic shops yet. I think they would sometimes market these for the book stores like Kroch & Brentano's, . . .
    Where I lived in New Jersey back then, I wasn't aware of any comic book shops near me. I would typically buy my comic books off the spinner rack at a stationary store that sold newspapers, magazines, candy, etc. etc., and I bought quite a few DC and Marvel oversized treasury editions (including the Bicentennial Cap one) there.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Where I lived in New Jersey back then, I wasn't aware of any comic book shops near me. I would typically buy my comic books off the spinner rack at a stationary store that sold newspapers, magazines, candy, etc. etc., and I bought quite a few DC and Marvel oversized treasury editions (including the Bicentennial Cap one) there.
    You have taken me back to the good old times of the comic hunt. Drug stores, stationary stores and 7/11s were my stomping grounds.

According to GCD other uncredited inkers worked on several pages: John Verpoorten, Frank Giacoia and Dan Adkins.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Who's more patriotic than Captain America?

Only saw this image as the back cover for Marvel Fanfare #18, didn't know that they made a recent variant of this.

WestPhillyPunisher wins my vote for this week.