Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

There have been several continuity shifts since that issue, but more importantly this helps with the new reader friendly nature of the book since not only is this a new #1, but also the first ever full-on change over of the main Superman title.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Based on the preview panels, this appears to contradict Superman Reborn, which clearly shows Superman wearing a New52 style costume when Jon was born.

The excerpt below is from Action Comics #978. A few issues prior, Rebirth Superman and New52 Superman merged, causing the timeline to rewrite itself around them.

Superman found he no longer remembered the merger itself, or his two separate identities, but remembered experiencing only one history and being only one man. Nevertheless, he has become aware that something in his personal timeline may have changed, and compares his memories with Kelex's records of his personal history, finding them to match. This is the history the current Superman has. No reboots or timeline changes that effect that past have occurred since then, to the best of my knowledge.

In these panels, you see the Reborn Superman with a costume that resembles the one he currently wears, but without the trunks, seemingly appearing in the events that way, but he isn't really there, that's a function of the history review program. He is just watching his own past. The "other Superman" who we see is the Reborn Superman wearing a New52 costume, part of the historical records being reviewed.

Dragonpiece actually asked Taylor about this, here’s his response:
    https://twitter.com/tomtaylormade/st...143601152?s=21
    We've tried to consolidate the three different versions of the birth into one 'prime' birth.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    this helps with the new reader friendly nature of the book since not only is this a new #1, but also the first ever full-on change over of the main Superman title.
    I am not sure Superman having what a new reader would regard as an only slightly variant costume would confuse him or her about who it was wearing the costume, especially in the context they are likely putting those panels in.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Dragonpiece actually asked Taylor about this, here’s his response:
    https://twitter.com/tomtaylormade/st...143601152?s=21
    Ah, the old "We have three origin stories, let's solve it by creating a fourth!" thing. Maybe they should do a fifth one next year to resolve having four of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    I am not sure Superman having what a new reader would regard as an only slightly variant costume would confuse him or her about who it was wearing the costume, especially in the context they are likely putting those panels in.
    Much simpler to put him in the classic suit throughout though. The contrast to Jon's suit and Clark's suit is also much stronger when it's his legion suit/his newer suit vs Clark's classic suit.

Drives home the 21st Century Superman idea that is quite literally plastered on the cover of this book. Once again, all in service of the book and the new readers.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

More previews from issue #1.

Looks like this issue is in fact going to be more weighty than just a recap of his origin. This issue seems to be about Taylor giving the reader Jon's mission statement, and how/why he comes to realize it.

Fans who have been clamoring for Jon to get more Lois aspects to him will be VERY happy it seems. Damian will bring up the fact that the natural inclination Jon has towards doing more than just standard Superman stuff is thanks to what he gest from his mom. This makes it so one of the big conceptual pushes behind Jon's distinction from his father is his mother's influence on him. In addition to that, this need to "do more" is also what a lot of the story seems to be built on.

So Taylor wasn't just paying lip service to Lois when he said that she's a very important aspect of what makes up Jon.

And on that note, Truth, Justice, And A Better World does in fact seem to be Jon's new catchphrase and update to Clark's old one, and I couldn't be happier about it!

Yeah that’s a cool update to the classic motto.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't particularly see anything of lois specifically.clark was about that stuff and exposing the corrupt(original one at the very least).lois has been written as female clark for years.only superman and lois show had given her back her skeptical outlook and that too only a bit.so whatever.But,would i want a goldenage?hell yeah!
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Looks like this issue is in fact going to be more weighty than just a recap of his origin. This issue seems to be about Taylor giving the reader Jon's mission statement, and how/why he comes to realize it.

Fans who have been clamoring for Jon to get more Lois aspects to him will be VERY happy it seems. Damian will bring up the fact that the natural inclination Jon has towards doing more than just standard Superman stuff is thanks to what he gest from his mom. This makes it so one of the big conceptual pushes behind Jon's distinction from his father is his mother's influence on him. In addition to that, this need to "do more" is also what a lot of the story seems to be built on.

So Taylor wasn't just paying lip service to Lois when he said that she's a very important aspect of what makes up Jon.

And on that note, Truth, Justice, And A Better World does in fact seem to be Jon's new catchphrase and update to Clark's old one, and I couldn't be happier about it!

Yes, I love it. Can't wait to read the issue !

I might check this out, I have a feeling ot's going to be really fun.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't particularly see anything of lois specifically.clark was about that stuff and exposing the corrupt(original one at the very least).lois has been written as female clark for years.only superman and lois show had given her back her skeptical outlook and that too only a bit.so whatever.But,would i want a goldenage?hell yeah!
    They know they stole that from the Golden Age Superman. Modern writers are thieves that like to pass other peoples work off as their own first and foremost.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Yeah I def dig the update on the motto. Good stuff!
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Yeah I def dig the update on the motto. Good stuff!
    Even more so than the motto, I like the clearly calm way he is stating it. It's not a petulant teen spouting stuff to rattle adults around. It's a young man who has clearly thought about it and decided that it was what he believed it. It's just awesome.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Updating his father's phrase? Why? Not trying to be a negative nancy on this one. I just don't understand why Jon needed this.
    I'm not a fan of the "truth, justice, and the American way", just letting you guys know. I just don't see the need for updating a catchphrase that should've been tossed out when WW2 ended.

I just want this to be over

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I just want this to be over
    Don’t let the door hit you on your way out