Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Superman: Son of Kal-El issue #1 Preview

https://www.cbr.com/superman-son-of-...-birth-reboot/

Tom Taylor: "Superman has been my hero for as long as I can remember. Being raised by a single mother, he was one of my biggest male role models as a child. I have a very strong memory of being four years old and proudly walking down the street with red underpants over blue jeans, while wearing a faded thrift-shop Superman t-shirt," Taylor said in a written statement. "For this Australian kid to grow up and become the writer of Superman… I mean, statistically, I’d have a better chance of being an Astronaut and going to space. Writing a new Superman, a new hero for a new generation to look up to, is a big responsibility and a great honor."

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

it seems there are going to explore the retconned birth of Jon. It was about time. Lets see how it developts.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Well the art looks great. Shall we make an official Superman: Son of Kal-El Spoilers and Discussion thread? I prefer one ongoing thread like the PKJ one rather than doing issue by issue.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Wonder Woman in a Tom Taylor written book? Getting more red flags than the Red Square during the Soviet Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Wonder Woman in a Tom Taylor written book? Getting more red flags than the Red Square during the Soviet Union.
    Taylor is at least respecting Jurgens rebooted origin where she and Bats stood guard while Lois gave birth. Hopefully he won’t mess her up so bad. I’m just hoping Taylor doesn’t try to retcon Batman as Jon’s godfather over Perry because he 100% would if he could.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

I have no doubt in my mind that Jon was targeted by Harvest, who wanted to raise the son of Superman to hate metahumans

Which is why Jon was sheltered his whole life.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Taylor is at least respecting Jurgens rebooted origin where she and Bats stood guard while Lois gave birth. Hopefully he won’t mess her up so bad. I’m just hoping Taylor doesn’t try to retcon Batman as Jon’s godfather over Perry because he 100% would if he could.
    Perry is Jon Kent's godfather but Batman is Superboy's.

You know they would do it.

Its nice to know that Taylor was not a fan of the stuff he did for Injustice with a proper Superman. Just doesn't mean anything at this particular moment to me because in my eyes he's not going to be writing Superman. But it at least would make me more open someday if he got a chance to write Kal/Clark.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-01-2021 at 04:03 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Clark: “Yes Jon I do remember the day you were born...because a freaking Alien armada tried to invade and had the worst timing. I mean if you think your mother is angry now, imagine what happens when you leave her in the North Pole going to labor because work called. I slept on the couch that night.”

But in all seriousness I’m very excited to see this, I’m glad Jon’s history is actually being explored instead of just casually glanced at via reality shenanigans, and I can’t wait to read this first issue.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its nice to know that Taylor was not a fan of the stuff he did for Injustice with a proper Superman. Just doesn't mean anything at this particular moment to me because in my eyes he's not going to be writing Superman. But it at least would make me more open someday if he got a chance to write Kal/Clark.
    You would hate Taylor’s Clark, he’s a massive Rebirth and Post Crisis fan.

Incredible Member

The depiction of his birth makes me think its even more aimed at beginners than I believed, so I wouldn't be surprised if the entire issue barring the last few pages is a recap of his life so far (birth, Hamilton, Super-sons, space trip and age-up, Legion, maybe the New 52 Lois & Clark era if they're feeling bold) with the final pages having the definite proclamation of him as the new Superman. Interesting to see him framed as even more of a son of the Age of Superheroes than before, what with J'onn and John Stewart being (indirectly) involved here in addition to Bruce and Diana.

Great to see Taylor bring up Lois at the very first opportunity, and you know "Jon is the son of the greatest champion of truth in the planet" is going to get as much traction as "Jon is the heir of Superman", considering he's involved with the "truth" activist organization.

Seemingly this will be Taylor's take on the "modernized Golden Age Superman" idea. Here's hoping that involves as much trolling the powerful by Jon as Clark did in the Golden Age. Or maybe not. I still believe this'll end up solidifying him as a copy of Clark's pop-culture image, but can you do.

His comments on the Super-sons still having the same dynamic but reversed are very disingenuous. The Super-sons dynamic was defined by them being in the same moment of their lives (the age difference was mostly irrelevant), whereas now they're obviously not. This obviously doesn't mean that they can't still be friends or have an interesting dynamic, but the refusal to acknowledge things are different now doesn't bode well for their take on it.

I'm just hoping this series is stronger than the Superman comic has been this year. I'm hoping for stories about Superman rather than generic aliens I don't care about.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    I have no doubt in my mind that Jon was targeted by Harvest, who wanted to raise the son of Superman to hate metahumans

Which is why Jon was sheltered his whole life.
    Harvest popping up could be fun.