So as not to derail another thread, I'm moving this discussion over here.

Pete & Lana started off mostly as Jimmy & Lois knock-offs. Lana has made the most strides towards becoming a more unique character in the comics, but mostly by grafting elements from Pete onto herself.

However, given the wildly divergent characterizations of Lana across the comics, cartoons, TV, and movies, I couldn't really tell you what Lana's personality is. Is she the sweet girl next door that Annette O'Toole portrayed in Superman III? That's what Krysten Kruek's Lana started off as before completely going off the rails because the writers couldn't figure out what to do with her character. Or is she the sassy jet-setting supermodel of Superman TAS? I'm honestly not sure what the Superman & Lois's writers are aiming for with their depiction of the character.

Honestly, the only defining characteristic that seems to define Lana across most versions of her is that she's kind of a sad sack who has terrible taste in men.

And Pete Ross is even worse. Aside from being a bit of a rascal, I couldn't really tell you anything about him aside from his role as Clark's childhood friend. Who is Pete beyond that? This is not to say that I think Pete Ross should be a more important figure in Superman's story, but the lack of specificity to his character is kind of a bummer.