Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Heh, I'd rather see Pete in the present and Lana in the past and not seen anymore, if I had to pick. Not that I want either in the present.

I don't want Lois and Lana to be good friends, really. I don't want Lois and Selina to be good friends. I don't really have all that much interest in Lois and Diana being good friends. Lois can have her own damn friends instead of just being friends with Clark's friends (or their lovers). Actually use Lucy as a sister and a friend, maybe. Or invent someone. But even if we don't see it much (as she is a supporting character), Lois needs to have relationships that aren't primarily Clark's relationships or because these women are involved with Clark's friends. She needs people in her life that she is more important to than Clark is, you know what I mean? That are primarily her friends, and not just around her because she's married to their friend (or their boyfriend's friend). Where Clark really isn't a factor in the friendship - so not everything/everyone in her life is all about Clark.

I'm not saying the "other half" of a couple can't be friends with their other's half's friends, but I really like having a sense that supporting characters have their own lives and friends and such to hang out with instead of them being entirely dependent on the hero's friends.
    Really well put, and even funnier when taking into account Sam Lane's murder boner for Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Heh, I'd rather see Pete in the present and Lana in the past and not seen anymore, if I had to pick. Not that I want either in the present.

I don't want Lois and Lana to be good friends, really. I don't want Lois and Selina to be good friends. I don't really have all that much interest in Lois and Diana being good friends. Lois can have her own damn friends instead of just being friends with Clark's friends (or their lovers). Actually use Lucy as a sister and a friend, maybe. Or invent someone. But even if we don't see it much (as she is a supporting character), Lois needs to have relationships that aren't primarily Clark's relationships or because these women are involved with Clark's friends. She needs people in her life that she is more important to than Clark is, you know what I mean? That are primarily her friends, and not just around her because she's married to their friend (or their boyfriend's friend). Where Clark really isn't a factor in the friendship - so not everything/everyone in her life is all about Clark.

I'm not saying the "other half" of a couple can't be friends with their other's half's friends, but I really like having a sense that supporting characters have their own lives and friends and such to hang out with instead of them being entirely dependent on the hero's friends.
    Lois being friends with Diana, Lana or Selina doesn't mean she doesn't have her own circle of friends (which she does). Most of the time, those three don't even appear in a Superman comic, not even Lana who is a Superman character.

Retired

Bringing Lana into the LOIS LANE comic in the 1960s was a good thing, because it gave Lois a female friend and peer she could hang around with. Short of that she would have just had Lucy--who spent more time with Jimmy, pilots and millionaires. The people Lois spent most of her time with her all men--Jimmy, Perry and Clark. She could have conversations with Lana that passed the Bechdel test. Although adult Lana's friendship with Clark was important in the late 1970s/early 1980s--in the 1960s, adult Lana had few interactions with Clark--the people she spent the most time with were Lois, Superman and Jimmy (I always felt like Jimmy and Lana would have a lot in common).

Incredible Member

That was a great point.

I suppose you can argue that the writers at DC Comics should be creating more female characters for Lois to interact with as well.
    But Lana Lang is going to be there as a grownup character. If she is, then I would prefer she interact positively with Lois,
    rather than making her the fifth wheel going after Clark.

Superman provides a real opportunity to explore what modern journalism looks like. Whatever we think of comics in the 1960s and 1970s,
    they were starting to do that by creating the Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen comics. I used to read some of them, (at least those I could get ahold of
    with my limited budget while growing up) they were really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Lois being friends with Diana, Lana or Selina doesn't mean she doesn't have her own circle of friends (which she does). Most of the time, those three don't even appear in a Superman comic, not even Lana who is a Superman character.
    They may not appear most of the time, but in my experience, they appear - socializing with Lois - more than Lois' unrelated-to-Clark friends do. That's annoying to me. His best (or most often seen) friends do not have a pre-existing or closer relationship to Lois than to him. He does not become friends with guys because they are friends with Lois or dating Lois' friends. I would like for her to have the same - friends that are connected to her more than him, rather than just friends that happen to be in her orbit because of Clark - that are really Clark or Clark-adjacent supporting cast. Lana's relationship will always be primarily with Clark, with Lois in second-place (at best). Lois needs friends that don't have Clark closer to them than she is. So it doesn't feel like Lois is just slotted into Clark's existing circle of friends, but rather that she has her own circle, too. I don't need Lois' friends to be female, btw, I just don't like the idea her social circle (as little of as we see) is dominated be people who are more connected to Clark than her, that the most important people in her life value Clark more. A supporting character doesn't know they are a supporting character, and we should get a sense that she has a life outside him, in the same way that he has a life outside her. If we're going to introduce someone to be Lois' friend, that person should be Lois' friend, not Clark's friend who Lois hangs out with because they both have XX chromosomes.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-15-2021 at 09:26 AM.

Retired

Sometimes the friend of your friend becomes your friend and an even closer friend. Lots of drama there. I've seen this happen (and sometimes been an actor in the drama) since I was a little kid. We never know where our greatest friends are going to come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Sometimes the friend of your friend becomes your friend and an even closer friend. Lots of drama there. I've seen this happen (and sometimes been an actor in the drama) since I was a little kid. We never know where our greatest friends are going to come from.
    Yeah, trying to draw a line between who Clark knows and who Lois knows... is pretty much impossible. the real question is how well she knows them.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Lana Lang is Superman's childhood friend, who later becomes a fashion designer and Lex Luthor's girlfriend. I'm going off Superman TAS. She's also very pretty.

Six Flags Great Adventure had a sign saying something about "Lana Luthor," so do they get married in the comics? I remember my teachers asking "Who's Lana Luthor?" and I was like "Lex Luthor's wife... since he's voiced by Mr. Krabs... she's voiced by Pearl..." PLEASE, let Lori Alan voice Lana Lang in a DC cartoon to complete the joke!!
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    Lana Lang is Superman's childhood friend, who later becomes a fashion designer and Lex Luthor's girlfriend. I'm going off Superman TAS. She's also very pretty.

Six Flags Great Adventure had a sign saying something about "Lana Luthor," so do they get married in the comics? I remember my teachers asking "Who's Lana Luthor?" and I was like "Lex Luthor's wife... since he's voiced by Mr. Krabs... she's voiced by Pearl..." PLEASE, let Lori Alan voice Lana Lang in a DC cartoon to complete the joke!!
    I wonder if the sign was of *Lena* Luthor, his sister.

Having Lana AND Lois date Luthor at one point is a bit much for me. Actually, even one of them dating him is too "small world" syndrome for me, like everyone is connected by 2-3 degrees of separation, but both of them is exponentially worse.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 08-17-2021 at 08:30 AM.

Retired

Sounds like a character from MELROSE PLACE. Was this written by Darren Star?

I liked Lana more when she was Lex's girlfriend/wife in Smallville. Maybe the comics could use that? Make her Lex's ex wife looking for a fresh start?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-17-2021 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I wonder if the sign was of *Lena* Luthor, his sister.

Having Lana AND Lois date Luthor at one point is a bit much for me. Actually, even one of them dating him is too "small world" syndrome for me, like everyone is connected by 2-3 degrees of separation, but both of them is exponentially worse.
    I think you're right... Completely forgot about that. Wonder why Six Flags, which only uses the popular characters, would have a sign mentioning her. Well, they DID have Grid in Cyborg Hyper Drive...

I think you're right... Completely forgot about that. Wonder why Six Flags, which only uses the popular characters, would have a sign mentioning her. Well, they DID have Grid in Cyborg Hyper Drive...
    More like mostly. I suspect they try to mix things up a bit so that it's not JUST the top 5 or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    More like mostly. I suspect they try to mix things up a bit so that it's not JUST the top 5 or whatever.
    They never themed a ride to Martian Manhunter or Green Arrow. Only Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Joker, Harley Quinn, and occasionally Cyborg, The Flash, and Aquaman, along with some other Batman villains.

They never themed a ride to Martian Manhunter or Green Arrow. Only Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Joker, Harley Quinn, and occasionally Cyborg, The Flash, and Aquaman, along with some other Batman villains.
    I remember a Riddler themed ride at a Six Flags. But one thing I've gathered is that each location has different stuff.... intentionally.