Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default How Do You Make A Show/Movie Where Everyone Is Unlikeable Work?

What do shows like The Sopranos and films like A Clockwork Orange and Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer get right what countless others do wrong?

BANNED

You do it like seinfeld or The Jeffersons

They tow the line of making the characters likable and entertaining enough that you want to watch them despite being terrible.

It's Always Sunny and Curby Your Enthusiasm both make this work on a comedy level. Larry (at least the fictional version of him) is not someone I'd ever want to interact with in real life, but he's still absolutely fucking hilarious.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

You copy All in the Family.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

- give character(s) some level of relatability
    - sympathetic backstory/justification for actions
    - create a bigger evil the characters are against

Even if you make a cast where everyone is unlikeable people will gravitate towards the character they feel is 'less worse' than the others. I suspect this is why Rorscharch is still popular. Push it too far and people will just stop watching. The best way is to give everyone some level of relatability and sympathetic moments.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    - give character(s) some level of relatability
    - sympathetic backstory/justification for actions
    - create a bigger evil the characters are against
    American Psycho didn't have any of these things and Christian Bale character was still amazing

If you're Armando Iannucci, the winning formula has several ingredients:

1. Have at least one character the audience wants to see succeed despite them being terrible because they're actually competent at their job.

2. Include as much creative profanity-laced insults and erudite humor into the rapid-fire dialogue as possible.

3. Blend situational comedy with above-mentioned dialogue and throw in plenty of physical comedy as well.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    American Psycho didn't have any of these things and Christian Bale character was still amazing
    i like to think in satirical works the characters or usually caricatures are used as tools against the 'greater evil' that is the satirized subject

that said likeable might be a broad term but id suppose sheer entertainment value would make the cut

Succession sort of hangs on the fundamentally decent but way out-of-his-depth shoulders of Cousin Greg. Every other character, including the desperately obsequious Tom, will regularly disappoint you every time you think they are showing even a hint of regard for anyone other than themself. Possibly it could work without an audience surrogate character, as it already has quite a cynical British sensibility to it but still found its audience.

Married with Children. It needs to be comedy and maybe have one character way more unlikable than the others.
    Power with Girl is better.

I feel like the crucial step is making sure other characters react reasonably to someone so unlikeable. It's easier to enjoy a show where the unlikable character is insulted and pushed back upon than one where everybody somehow loves them

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Family Guy easily comes to mind. (sort of)

I loved the first seasons (but there were some characters that I liked before they went downhill)

Current seasons? I haven't laughed at a Family Guy Episode since Stewie and Brian ran a brothel. However, if a character gets attacked you either feel no sympathy or a satisfying feeling because they're all jerks and kind of deserve whats coming.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 07-02-2021 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    If you're Armando Iannucci, the winning formula has several ingredients:

1. Have at least one character the audience wants to see succeed despite them being terrible because they're actually competent at their job.

2. Include as much creative profanity-laced insults and erudite humor into the rapid-fire dialogue as possible.

3. Blend situational comedy with above-mentioned dialogue and throw in plenty of physical comedy as well.
    The YouTube algorithm keeps showing me short videos from The Thick of It and In the Loop. I ain't complaining.

One thing I've found Ianucci to really excel at is giving his characters seemingly (at first glance) contradictory character traits to further develop their humanity and groundedness. Malcolm Tucker is a major ******* and bully, but he's also not power hungry. And because he's not power hungry, he'll be a major ******* and bully on behalf of working class citizens. So then it's more that he's antagonistic to the norm of false pleasantries and posturing and things government officials are prone to do. On the other hand, he's pretty kind to staffers that are really just trying to get through their unappreciated jobs, like custodians.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    The YouTube algorithm keeps showing me short videos from The Thick of It and In the Loop. I ain't complaining.

One thing I've found Ianucci to really excel at is giving his characters seemingly (at first glance) contradictory character traits to further develop their humanity and groundedness. Malcolm Tucker is a major ******* and bully, but he's also not power hungry. And because he's not power hungry, he'll be a major ******* and bully on behalf of working class citizens. So then it's more that he's antagonistic to the norm of false pleasantries and posturing and things government officials are prone to do. On the other hand, he's pretty kind to staffers that are really just trying to get through their unappreciated jobs, like custodians.
    I find Iannucci also does this well with Terri Coverley. Everyone who works with her considers her to be useless and in fairness she does tend to put minimal effort into her career but when it really matter, she does know how to competently do her job and even tries to advise her superiors on the proper course of action but is constantly overridden or ignored by them.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci