View Poll Results: Red trunks, yes or not?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, keep them.

38 64.41%
  • No, discard them.

21 35.59%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question Are the red trunks being banned again?

Well, not everyone loved the New52 (but it have their supporters) and there we sae a trunkless SUperman. However when the Rebirth era started, the trunks didn't return until Bendis take control of the title. Now, with Son of Kal-El and Superman and the Authority (SATA) we saw again trunkless version of the Superman suit. If (when) we return to a more familiar status quo, will we see t he classic suit again or a rework of that suit, into a trunkless version?
    Are you more pro or con for the trunks? Has your opinion changed from, let's say, five years ago?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I dont hate the red trunks but I prefer no trunks. I just dont understand why they are still needed. Im sure there is a way to rework that area to keep the red?

I get why the red trunks look silly, but the costume always looked unfinished without them.
    What I would do is not have them look like briefs.
    They've occasionally been drawn to be just slightly longer than briefs so they're little booty shorts, and they looked a lot better to me.
    Even drawing them slightly smaller than briefs is a more interesting look.
    A redesign to put more red in the center of the costume would at least be preferably to the big unbroken field of blue.

Just get rid of the trunks altogether. It was based off of the Strongman look back in the 30s. It work then. It's outdated. Fans really have a hard time letting things go.

I am kind of curious if the Superman & the Authority suit will carry over along with that team.

I really love that Tom Strong-esque outfit, but Future State had Clark only wearing the trunks, shield, and cape on Warworld, so I don’t know if it will carry over:

Personally I don’t mind either way. I like the classic costume with the trunks. I like the S&tA outfit. I like the Reborn outfit and wouldn’t mind him wearing it again. I think Sampere makes the classic costume look damn good though.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I like the Authority suit and look but it is way to different for it to take off in a major way. Would make for a great Connor suit.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I like the trunks. It's the blue/red/blue/red with red cape that really pops and the trunks in the middle are a big part of that aesthetic. Trunkless, the suit looks flat and less dynamic.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Considering Superman's got on his trunks in Fortnite, which is going to reach a far larger global audience than all of the comics published by DC and Marvel every month put together, I don't think the trunks are being "banned" again.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Are you more pro or con for the trunks? Has your opinion changed from, let's say, five years ago?
    My opinion hasn't changed, I've always loved trunks and thought them important to keep. It seems experiments with losing the trunks backfired with comic fans, creators and execs and it feels like we're in a period of some recommitment to the trunks.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

The trunks are as much a part of his "uniform" as the "S" on his chest. The trunks help set him apart from all the other Spandex-wearing crime-fighters. In the daily comic strips, the Phantom's striped trunks are pretty silly too, but just a solid purple leotard would be ever sillier. The "strongman" image is entirely appropriate for Superman. Taking away the briefs makes him look more nearly like a ballet dancer.

Retired

It's strange to me when anti-trunk fans point out the circus costume design as if that's a bad thing. I say lean into that. All the efforts to make the costume not look like a circus costume remove the context for why the guy would dress like that. I would just add in the idea that before he was Superman, Clark worked as a circus strongman named Samson and that's how he came by the outfit.

It seems to me that in the 1930s and 1940s, a lot of costume designs (for both heroes and villains) were looking to the past. Maybe because at costume balls it was in vogue to dress in outfits from the past. So things like old circus costumes, the comedie del arte, swashbucklers, melodrama villains, medieval wardrobe, ancient Greek and Roman dress--all these influenced how the comics characters looked.

But in the absence of that context, how do you explain why Peter Parker or Daredevil would dress in their outfits? Their costumes don't make any practical sense. If heroes are supposed to be dressing for conventional purposes--almost none of the super-hero costumes seem right. They should all be dressing like Jack Knight and the Question.

It really could go either way. When they bring Superman back to take over the role singularly again, its not hard at all to see them putting him back in the classic. The true deal returning in all his classic glory and all that jazz. But on another hand, when Jonman ends and that avenue for modernizing closes, maybe they decide to utilize it toward Superman again, so maybe they would reconsider giving his costume a redesign. Right now I would say its 50/50.

I'll tell you what though, the Authority look has warmed me up to the oft used fan design idea of a two tone blue aesthetic for some pop and dimension. I never liked it before because it reminded me too much of the Eradicator but this look here, the way the chest is partitioned by the edges of the S, is just different enough.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-02-2021 at 01:15 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I'll never understand how trunks are "outdated" but the huge cape, tall boots and skintight onesie is fine. It's all weird. I love the whole classic get-up and we shouldn't feel insecure about it as fans. Everything about superheroes is outlandish, so embrace it.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venceremos View Post
    I'll never understand how trunks are "outdated" but the huge cape, tall boots and skintight onesie is fine. It's all weird. I love the whole classic get-up and we shouldn't feel insecure about it as fans. Everything about superheroes is outlandish, so embrace it.
    Well, some fashion elements can stay relevant and timeless while others don’t. Huge capes, tall boots, and a skintight silhouette are still around in modern fashion shows. Trunks on the outside, though? Nah.

That said, I like the classic red trunks for Supes. I think it looks good in animation and comics. For live action I like the no-trunks look better.

They showcased him wearing a suit with trunks in Superman and Lois (even if it's not his main costume), he's wearing trunks in the animated movies again, and he's going to be wearing trunks in the upcoming "My Adventures with Superman" cartoon.

So, no, I don't think they're being banned.