View Poll Results: Red trunks, yes or not?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, keep them.

38 64.41%
  • No, discard them.

21 35.59%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

On the one hand, I'm glad that Superman is one of the heroes that has an actual costume still. Everytime I like at Blue Marvel's vest and cargo pants look, I cringe. I hope they never change Superman's costume wearing glory.

But the trunks? I don't know if they're being banned or not, but grown men in 2021 really should not be running around with their underwear on the outside of their stockings. It's time to let that one aspect of his costume go. Have Lois frame them and hang them in her office, if you like, but get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    On the one hand, I'm glad that Superman is one of the heroes that has an actual costume still. Everytime I like at Blue Marvel's vest and cargo pants look, I cringe. I hope they never change Superman's costume wearing glory.

But the trunks? I don't know if they're being banned or not, but grown men in 2021 really should not be running around with their underwear on the outside of their stockings. It's time to let that one aspect of his costume go. Have Lois frame them and hang them in her office, if you like, but get rid of them.
    Yeah... but if we're going with the "grown men" argument, grown men shouldn't be reading fantasy books about a god in spandex solving everyone's problems. And I know all the "but comics now aren't just for kids" - my point is I see "fashion police" in the same way I see shaming for stuff that for years was deemed "kids" stuff. It's just the same kinda silly to me. Not saying everyone has to like it, if it's not your thing it's cool; I just mean as a general judgement call, I don't see it.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Retired

I don't see how it makes anymore sense for men to go around in public wearing just stockings with nothing over them.

Also, in these arguments there's alway that unexpressed implication that men have to dress differently from women. No one has a problem with female super-heroes dressing in this way--but if a man dares to dress like that, it's so embarrassing. We haven't come very far as a society, have we.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't see how it makes anymore sense for men to go around in public wearing just stockings with nothing over them.
    Not to mention the comics version of the "elephant in the room" - a 6ft tall glowing-blue naked guy (because there's still a trunk involved, technically... LOL)
    download.jpg
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I am kind of curious if the Superman & the Authority suit will carry over along with that team.

I really love that Tom Strong-esque outfit, but Future State had Clark only wearing the trunks, shield, and cape on Warworld, so I don’t know if it will carry over:

Personally I don’t mind either way. I like the classic costume with the trunks. I like the S&tA outfit. I like the Reborn outfit and wouldn’t mind him wearing it again. I think Sampere makes the classic costume look damn good though.
    Damn!now that's what i am talking about..I love both gladiator and scifi hero..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Some versions of Superman will wear the trunks, others won't. Anyway I think DC should try out blue trunks sometimes.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Yeah... but if we're going with the "grown men" argument, grown men shouldn't be reading fantasy books about a god in spandex solving everyone's problems. And I know all the "but comics now aren't just for kids" - my point is I see "fashion police" in the same way I see shaming for stuff that for years was deemed "kids" stuff. It's just the same kinda silly to me. Not saying everyone has to like it, if it's not your thing it's cool; I just mean as a general judgement call, I don't see it.
    Grown men and women are writing the books, so why not?

My point is that Superman's trunks are a call back to days of yore when that was the trend. Do some still back the look? Of course. Setting aside normalization, change is just a difficult bridge to cross for many. I'm not one of them. I'm totally in favor of him going without the trunks in pursuit of a more updated look. But to each his own.

Also, in these arguments there's alway that unexpressed implication that men have to dress differently from women. No one has a problem with female super-heroes dressing in this way--but if a man dares to dress like that, it's so embarrassing. We haven't come very far as a society, have we.
    Yes they do. Why do you think Wonder Woman wears a skirt instead of briefs now?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yes they do. Why do you think Wonder Woman wears a skirt instead of briefs now?
    I must add the long boots and longer skirt on SUpergirl. I would not be surprised if at the end of her mini-series she dons a full body suit, similar to what has been seen in the CW series and the one than will appear on Flashpoint.
    But back on the trunks, I am not against them, but I must confess I like the idea of Superman passing for periods when his image change a little. We must admit than for one side the trunks are traditional and it helps visually to stablish a visual. That can have aspects positive and negative. Because it makes SUperman have a constant visual identity than depending of the era will be with the fashions or not. Who knows, maybe a new tweak on his image, in the way the shield has evolved, it is necessary.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    Well, some fashion elements can stay relevant and timeless while others don’t. Huge capes, tall boots, and a skintight silhouette are still around in modern fashion shows.
    Oh come on.

Retired

If I ever see a Super suit that pleases me as much as the Joe Shuster/Wayne Boring/Curt Swan costume, I'll let you guys know.

The thing that bugs me the most about modern super costumes is the amount of detail on them. What I like about cartooning is how an artist can strip away the excess and get to the essence of an image. All that decoration is contrary to my taste in comics.

And I always remember that, at the age of eight, I taught myself how to draw Superman. I just don't picture an eight year old today being able to render these modern designs with crayons and paper, or chalk and chalkboard, like I did. I guess rich kids, whose parents gave them an expensive graphics system, could construct these images on their tablets--but I doubt they could draw them free hand.

That's what made super-heroes so appealing to me and other kids--they were easy to visualize and didn't go over our heads.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venceremos View Post
    Oh come on.
    Wait, are you saying that capes, tall boots, and skintight silhouettes are not present in modern men’s fashion?

Cape

Tall boots

Skintight silhouette

Just to clarify, I’m talking about distinct elements as inspiration and reference points for design, which are then brought together as a cohesive whole by an artist.

But the reason why people specifically say the trunks over pants are outdated is that because they are. I’m no fashion expert, but I think the last time color-blocking the crotch area was in vogue was in the 70s was when people wore fitness leotards over their tights. So maybe we should just bring the 70s back and call it athleisure lol.
    Last edited by oneveryfineday; 07-03-2021 at 05:48 PM.

I don't think they're being banned but I do think they're being phased out for the moment. At least in a couple titles, not sure what Action is doing.

We've seen this a few times over the years, when DC wants Superman to be more modern, like the New52 or electric era, the trunks go away. When DC goes back to classic, the trunks return. Jon, as the latest attempt to update the IP, is already trunkless and Clark's new Authority duds reflect the new modus operandi of that book. Hence, no trunks.

As for the design sensibility, it boils down to personal preference. The trunks are not a "necessary" element for color balance, nor are they relevant to modern fashion (and capes get a free pass via 'cool factor'). I spent years as a graphic artist, believe me the trunks are not necessary from a design standpoint. But while I do believe the trunks are a minor turn off for young potential readers who lack our affinity to the classic aesthetics, they're not a total deal breaker. A kid who can accept the premise of Superman likely considers the trunks part of the buy-in.

Left to my own devices I'd drop the trunks in most adaptations but wouldn't care about keeping them in the comics, as the audience is accustomed to them and floppies aren't pulling in new, young readers anyway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Retired

Back when I was a young university student, I took a jazz-ballet exercise class, for which I wore tights--but I thought it best to wear shorts over those tights. It would just be too embarrassing in a group of mostly women to wear just the tights. I would make the same choice today. And I see lots of people these days, male and female, when they wear leggings they have shorts over the leggings. Great for those who are brave enough to flaunt their stuff in tight leggings, but many of us want some coverage. That's not out of date in my mind.

Back when I was a young university student, I took a jazz-ballet exercise class, for which I wore tights--but I thought it best to wear shorts over those tights. It would just be too embarrassing in a group of mostly women to wear just the tights. I would make the same choice today. And I see lots of people these days, male and female, when they wear leggings they have shorts over the leggings. Great for those who are brave enough to flaunt their stuff in tight leggings, but many of us want some coverage. That's not out of date in my mind.
    That's kind of the elephant in the room. The shorts do serve as a form of modesty so there's not too much of a super bulge under the tights visible. He looks naked without them.