Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I cannot believe the steaming dump this movie took on Kitana.

spoilers:
    I mean, I already saw leading up to it they were doubling down on Kitana being a coward who only turns on Shao Kahn because Liu Kang & Raiden tell her to. But what killed me is when she finally does...she immediately gets her ass kicked & taken prisoner.

Was the goal here to make her look as stupid & useless as possible? Because, if so, mission accomplished.

If you're going to make such a big deal out of Liu & Raiden trying to convince Kitana to turn on Kahn & build up to that moment, it's a good idea for it to, y'know, pay off in some way.
    Turning against Kahn mattered in the original games. That's basic storytelling.

Here, the only pay off--the ONLY pay off--to Kitana turning good is so Liu Kang has someone to kiss when he saves the day. They literally reduced her to the hero's reward. She is Liu Kang's prize; nothing more.

Crap like this is why I'm glad she didn't even appear in the recent live action movie. Because Christ knows what they would've done to her.

And before anyone says it, I know she's not the only one done dirty here. Poor Kung Lao, for instance, doesn't exactly come out of this looking like a star.
    But it really rankles me seeing Kitana get screwed over yet again. Honestly, is she really that hard to not mess up?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 09-01-2021 at 04:49 AM.

While it wasn't the best film ever, it was still the best Mortal Kombat movie to come out this year.

BANNED

They really didn't do much to establish the Liu Kang and Kitana romance, in general not much was done with her character, a lot of stuff is implied is going on with her but is never really elaborated on.
    Then Johnny's powers pretty much come out of nowhere, I have no problem admitting my knowledge on Mortal Kombat lore is scarce so I don't know if there's an explanation in the games(if I'm remembering correctly in the games he was the chosen one not Kiu Lang but I don't know if the two things are related) but in the movies they just come out of nowhere like he's a normal all of the last movie, and for 99% of this one but then he gets powers in like the last 5 minutes and no one acknowledges them.
    I have to say plot wise I enjoyed the last movie more but overall still liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    While it wasn't the best film ever, it was still the best Mortal Kombat movie to come out this year.
    Debatable. And even if it was, it's not exactly a high bar to pass, even if you take into account we only got two MK movies this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Debatable. And even if it was, it's not exactly a high bar to pass, even if you take into account we only got two MK movies this year.
    Kind of my point - it was a friendly jab at the live action film which imo was worse. The only thing I liked in the live action version was Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and to an extent Kano (to an extent). While this newest animated entry was a bit more of a mess, particularly towards the over crowded end, I thought there was comparatively more to enjoy there. But yeah, not a high bar to pass, neither movie is anything to write home about. Fun for what they are though, but then I haven't played a Mortal Kombat game in a long, long time so a big gamer fan might've had a different experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Kind of my point - it was a friendly jab at the live action film which imo was worse. The only thing I liked in the live action version was Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and to an extent Kano (to an extent). While this newest animated entry was a bit more of a mess, particularly towards the over crowded end, I thought there was comparatively more to enjoy there. But yeah, not a high bar to pass, neither movie is anything to write home about. Fun for what they are though, but then I haven't played a Mortal Kombat game in a long, long time so a big gamer fan might've had a different experience.
    Kano didn't leave much of an impression on me in the last live action movie, I preferred Kung Lao, who was sadly killed in both movies.

On the plus side, this movie is certainly better than the liveaction stuff we got, as disappointing as it is.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

I thought this was Annihilation levels of bad. God, I hope it's the last one.