View Poll Results: How long into Batman's career should Robin join him?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 year

14 20.90%
  • 2 years

19 28.36%
  • 3-5 years

30 44.78%
  • 5+ years

4 5.97%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    I'm ready for that too. I think Robin's past due for good interpretation in live-action.
    I don't think you can do a good interpretation of Robin in live action. He works alright in animation, and in live action after he's moved on from being a sidekick ala Titans, but a still working with Batman as part of the Dynamic Duo Robin in live action? I just don't see it working outside of comedies.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't think you can do a good interpretation of Robin in live action. He works alright in animation, and in live action after he's moved on from being a sidekick ala Titans, but a still working with Batman as part of the Dynamic Duo Robin in live action? I just don't see it working outside of comedies.
    An early college aged Robin could work fine. It was the setup they had in BTAS.

Live action comic book films have made more difficult concepts work at this point.

Year 2-ish seems reasonable when Bruce would probably have put the fear of god into the mob. Though I'm not really settled on any exact age, it'd depend on whatever the tone of that Batman universe would be.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    An early college aged Robin could work fine. It was the setup they had in BTAS.

Live action comic book films have made more difficult concepts work at this point.
    At that point it's kind of like, why? Just have him be Nightwing already.

He's canonically still been Robin when he was in the 18-20 range both in the comics and in BTAS where he was Robin all through college. There is more precedent for that than the John "Robin" Blake stuff, and the latter still made it into a movie.

Just introduce Dick as a 14-16 old in one movie than jump ahead a few years when he's 18 in a sequel where he can be Robin proper. It doesn't have to be difficult.

Astonishing Member

Where has Reeves confirmed he wants Robin in the sequels?

That would increase my interest in this take, because I'm more than ready to move on from this "No Robin in Batman films" bullshit
    A while back, I'd actually done a post about arranging all live-action Batman media in a kind of 'chronological' order, in terms of where they fit into Batman's life and career. Interestingly, it led me to realize that while the vast majority of Batman live-action media in the 20th century included Robin, the vast majority (actually, all of it, barring Titans) of Batman live-action media in the 21st century has excluded Robin. Where once upon a time, Burton's movies not having Robin was a bold and refreshing move, the opposite might be true today, if only someone were ready to attempt it.

He's canonically still been Robin when he was in the 18-20 range both in the comics and in BTAS where he was Robin all through college. There is more precedent for that than the John "Robin" Blake stuff, and the latter still made it into a movie.

Just introduce Dick as a 14-16 old in one movie than jump ahead a few years when he's 18 in a sequel where he can be Robin proper. It doesn't have to be difficult.
    Yeah, that's how I'd do it.

Honestly, I'm even okay if they have a 20-21 year old actor playing a 16-17 year old Dick Grayson as Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Yeah, that's how I'd do it.

Honestly, I'm even okay if they have a 20-21 year old actor playing a 16-17 year old Dick Grayson as Robin.
    I've watched Cobra Kai all the way through fairly recently after my roommates nagged me to watch it (glad they did, I ended up loving it) and I think the kid who plays Robby, Tanner Buchannan, would make a great Robin in that age range. For Dick he at least has the looks and the physical abilities. He does a lot of his owns stunts, including a fairly impressive backflip off a wall in the latest season

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Why though? Being Robin and transitioning to Nightwing is part of his journey. Being Robin is when he's young and still very much a sidekick to Batman. Nightwing is when he is ready to go out on his own, get out of Batmans shadow, basically spreads his wings and fly. It doesnt really matter the age (imo) that he becomes Robin because it isn't a Supergirl to Superwoman type thing where if you introduce Kara at the age of 40 as opposed to 20, her starting out as Supergirl doesnt make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Why though? Being Robin and transitioning to Nightwing is part of his journey. Being Robin is when he's young and still very much a sidekick to Batman. Nightwing is when he is ready to go out on his own, get out of Batmans shadow, basically spreads his wings and fly. It doesnt really matter the age (imo) that he becomes Robin because it isn't a Supergirl to Superwoman type thing where if you introduce Kara at the age of 40 as opposed to 20, her starting out as Supergirl doesnt make sense.
    Yeah, Robin as an identity/name doesn't automatically signify a young kid. It's modeled after Robin Hood, who was an adult hero.

Dick can have the identity well into his 20s before becoming Nightwing. Hell, he doesn't even have to become Nightwing at all in an adaptation.

It could also be interesting if Batman meets Robin through the JSA.

I said 3-5 years, long enough for Batman to be solidly established and, frankly, start thinking about the fact that he's eventually going to be too old to do this.

Also, I think it would be interesting to make it about Bruce Wayne. He should adopt Dick Grayson at 12-14 years old but going out to fight crime or even knowing he's Batman doesn't start until he's sixteen, then add a couple years training so he's eighteen before he actually goes out on a patrol thereby eliminating the "endangering a child" aspect.
    Power with Girl is better.

Maybe, but I keep having flashbacks to the Schumacher version that did an adult Robin, and it just doesn't look right to me having a Robin that old in live action.
    Precedent in the comics and animation doesn't matter - live action is an entirely different medium with different rules, and we've never seen a serious take on Robin in live action.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Because "young and still very much a sidekick to Batman" doesn't seem like a good fit at all for modern live action movies outside more comedic takes ala Hit-Girl in Kick-Ass, and "older/adult" Robin just looks/feels wrong to me now for some reason. I mean, to each their own obviously, just stating it from my own personal sense of what'd work or not.

Yeah, Robin as an identity/name doesn't automatically signify a young kid. It's modeled after Robin Hood, who was an adult hero.

Dick can have the identity well into his 20s before becoming Nightwing. Hell, he doesn't even have to become Nightwing at all in an adaptation.
    This is weird and mildly off topic, but I've been wanting to see Nightwing meet a pre-Crisis styled adult Robin post Earth 2's Batman's death, and Robin just be like "Really, you thought Robin was something to 'graduate' out of?"
    Also for some reason just want a old school adult version of Robin to show Nightwing up a bit. No clue why...just wanna. It'd amuse me for some reason. Possibly because I find pre-Crisis Earth 2 (Two?) adult Robin's costume to be the right kind of ridiculous to modern Nightwing's more modern sensibilities design. Just picturing him smugly outdo Nightwing in taking down more henchmen or escaping from the death trap quicker/easier or whatever fills me with odd glee. I don't know, maybe they team up to take down Hugo Strange or something.

I think in the context of Robin in the comics it projects an image of youthfullness and being the identifier for kid sidekicks.