View Poll Results: How long into Batman's career should Robin join him?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 year

14 20.90%
  • 2 years

19 28.36%
  • 3-5 years

30 44.78%
  • 5+ years

4 5.97%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Originally, in BATMAN No.5 (Spring 1941), "The Case of the Honest Crook", a gang beat up Robin so bad that the Batman thought he was dead--and the Caped Crusader went after the Boy Wonder's attackers with a vengeance.
    I think there were actually several golden age comics were Dick came pretty close to death, in BATMAN No.1 he got for example almost killed by the Joker. (Looking at the story and his original origin, Dick seemed to have also no problem to throw people from construction sides and other building back in the day...)
    Last edited by Aahz; 07-19-2021 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I lean towards the idea that Dick sets off to look for Zucco on his own, and there's nothing Bruce can do to stop him. And he's impressed enough by Dick's initiative to start training him.

Bruce turning this 12 year old kid into a vigilante only makes sense if the kid was on his way to becoming a vigilante anyway - the kind who would eventually get himself killed. By taking Dick under his wing, Bruce helps Dick stay alive and find a positive outlet for his rage and grief that he himself lacked as a child.
    I think that's part of the mix too. Like I said in that original post, Dick's too slippery for the mansion to contain him, so Bruce training him is not only a way to help the kid channel his anger, but it keeps him from trying to hunt Zucco down on his own, which would certainly result in Dick getting killed.

Dick becoming Robin...it kinda has to be a perfect storm of circumstance and events. If Dick isn't angry and determined enough, Bruce just puts him in therapy. If Dick wasn't willing and able to leave the mansion looking for Zucco, Bruce wouldn't have to teach the kid as a means of keeping him alive. A lot of stuff has to click just right for a guy like Bruce to decide to take in a complete stranger, share his closest, most dangerous secrets, and then turn that kid into a child soldier because it's the safest option on the table.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

There's no option for never I see...

Why can't Bruce adopt Dick, train him to defend himself, but never let him go out on the streets to fight crime?

The robin concept is fun, but I think we should just turn them into a street gang where teenagers protect each other inspired by Batman, lioe We Are Robin.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Why can't Bruce adopt Dick, train him to defend himself, but never let him go out on the streets to fight crime?

The robin concept is fun, but I think we should just turn them into a street gang where teenagers protect each other inspired by Batman, lioe We Are Robin.
    Because it is an iconic part of the Batman lore, even if its relevance has diminished over the last thirty-odd years or more.

You can't purge the history of Batman of the Robin concept completely. You can do Elseworlds and adaptations without Robin, but anything meant to be the 'mainstream' version of Batman can't be sans Robin.

Hell, even Nolan, the guy who was vehemently against using Robin in his films, kinda ended up introducing his own version of Robin in TDKR. And by all accounts Matt Reeves, who looks to be making an even more ultra-realistic Batverse, wants to introduce a version of Robin in his sequels.

I might want to make sure Batman's first meeting with the Joker pre-dates Nightwing, but I don't know if there's much else that has to be there.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

In story, he won't be able to (I mentioned earlier in the thread, unless he's using a tranquilizer). Robin is defined... well, Dick defined it by not following Batman's order. Literally in his first issue in Golden Age he already disobeyed him.

In Year One, when he's fired, he went to another teacher. In New 52 and other origins before being trained, he went out in civvies to have revenge.

Tim's two beginnings were all about helping Batman because he's an idol regardless if Batman allows it or not, and Damian almost kill Tim for that right.

Assuming they don't end up dead, they're all gonna grow up to be in costume on the streets with or without Batman. Jason might become a costumed robber and Damian assassin, I don't know.

The only one who might quit is Tim... if it's still early, and Batman hasn't gone mad because of Jason's death, but if he does go mad and violent with grief and depression again, he will go and help again.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-27-2021 at 04:08 AM.

Actually maybe it should happen after he fights Penguin for the first time, too.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Hell, even Nolan, the guy who was vehemently against using Robin in his films, kinda ended up introducing his own version of Robin in TDKR. And by all accounts Matt Reeves, who looks to be making an even more ultra-realistic Batverse, wants to introduce a version of Robin in his sequels.
    Where has Reeves confirmed he wants Robin in the sequels?

That would increase my interest in this take, because I'm more than ready to move on from this "No Robin in Batman films" bullshit

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

That would increase my interest in this take, because I'm more than ready to move on from this "No Robin in Batman films" bullshit
    There was an article within the last month or so in ScreenRant I think that says Matt Reeves Robin will be a crazy angry person... I don't remember exactly... but basically my reaction at that time was a sudden wish to take out Frank Miller works from any Batman writers' reference library

Well Nightwing first shows up around Superman, so it makes sense for it to be sometime around the first time Superman and Batman meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    There was an article within the last month or so in ScreenRant I think that says Matt Reeves Robin will be a crazy angry person... I don't remember exactly... but basically my reaction at that time was a sudden wish to take out Frank Miller works from any Batman writers' reference library
    Oh, that sounds just terrible. If that's the case, then I won't be seeing it.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    All I see when I do a Google search is a ScreenRant article about why Robin wouldn't work this early. It's possible it's still out there, but I can't find anything solid from Reeves himself.

Either way I agree with you though that it'd be nice to remind people that Batman existed before Frank Miller and to go in another direction entirely. It's been beaten into the ground and wasn't that good to begin with, IMO.

I think it would be really cool if Batman spends his first couple of years killing and, then, he adopts his famous rule when Nightwing joins him.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

I'm ready for that too. I think Robin's past due for good interpretation in live-action.