Incredible Member

Default Green Arrow, Speedy & Seven Soldiers

This could possibly be the best unexplored part of Green Arrow and Speedy’s history!

How did they end up in the past? How did that time switch affect their outlook on things? Was it a past event that played into Speedy’s later addiction?

This could be a well planned 12 issue limited series that could wrap into the original stories of the SSoV!

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    This could possibly be the best unexplored part of Green Arrow and Speedy’s history!

How did they end up in the past? How did that time switch affect their outlook on things? Was it a past event that played into Speedy’s later addiction?

This could be a well planned 12 issue limited series that could wrap into the original stories of the SSoV!
    It could be a great 12 issue story. Many of the usual Earth 2 fans posting here would love to see it and consume each issue greedily. But with the lack of a JSA book, it seems DC isn't putting a lot of effort into their Golden Age history. My GUESS is that what we saw in the Stargirl Spring Break Special is about all we'll see about that. I do hope I'm wrong, though.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Johns's star may have faded over the last few years, but he's still one of the best continuity fix-it men in DCU history. This latest continuity patch is another great one because, just like Khufu & Chay-Ara discovering a crashed Thanagarian Soul Ship in Ancient Egypt and the Yellow Impurity secretly being an ancient cosmic fear parasite, this kind of retcon opens up the characters to so many new story possibilities.

That's the best kind of retcons to me. The ones that open up the DCU, rather than wall it off from its own legacy as Crisis on Infinite Earths and the New 52 did.

But now that Oliver and Roy went back in time to become the "Golden Age Green Arrow and Speedy" in the Seven Soldiers of Victory, what happens with all the other characters that had been retconned in to fill that void? We had TNT and Dan the Dyna-Mite; Alias the Spider; various sidekicks of Vigilante; even Percy Sheldrake as the "Golden Age" Squire in one story.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But now that Oliver and Roy went back in time to become the "Golden Age Green Arrow and Speedy" in the Seven Soldiers of Victory, what happens with all the other characters that had been retconned in to fill that void? We had TNT and Dan the Dyna-Mite; Alias the Spider; various sidekicks of Vigilante; even Percy Sheldrake as the "Golden Age" Squire in one story.
    Comedy!

But seriously, this is probably the best version of the SSoV retcon yet.

Incredible Member

Rather than patches maybe do the Bobby Ewing shower scene solution.

Oliver: Hey, Roy, I just remembered that we fought in World War II.
    Roy: Me too!
    Oliver: How did it start?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post

Why are Roy and Oliver in a shower?

Wait, don't answer that.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post

How did it start?

Obviously they didn't give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Incredible Member

God, the responses to this have been funny. I especially loved the one from Cap.

Another thing about Geoff Johns' retcon: Pat tells Courtney that "Eventually, fighting the Nebula Man, we were all thrown forward in time to today."

If they were "all thrown forward in time to today", does that negate all of Justice League of America #100-102 when the JSA and JLA traveled back in time to rescue the Seven Soldiers from the past? Does that mean Red Tornado never was believed to have died fighting the Hand that caused the JSA and JLA to search for the missing Seven Soldiers in the first place?
    If the JSA and JLA weren't involved in rescuing the Seven Soldiers from the past, what caused the Star Spangled Kid to get involved with the Justice Society of America in the first place?

And exactly how long were Green Arrow and Speedy trapped in the past? When did they get thrown back in time, and when did they arrive back in the "present"? And if by going back to the past and becoming the Golden Age versions of their (at point) "future" selves, wouldn't that have created an alternate time line where all the pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths stuff could have still happened?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Another thing about Geoff Johns' retcon: Pat tells Courtney that "Eventually, fighting the Nebula Man, we were all thrown forward in time to today."

If they were "all thrown forward in time to today", does that negate all of Justice League of America #100-102 when the JSA and JLA traveled back in time to rescue the Seven Soldiers from the past? Does that mean Red Tornado never was believed to have died fighting the Hand that caused the JSA and JLA to search for the missing Seven Soldiers in the first place?
    If the JSA and JLA weren't involved in rescuing the Seven Soldiers from the past, what caused the Star Spangled Kid to get involved with the Justice Society of America in the first place?

And exactly how long were Green Arrow and Speedy trapped in the past? When did they get thrown back in time, and when did they arrive back in the "present"? And if by going back to the past and becoming the Golden Age versions of their (at point) "future" selves, wouldn't that have created an alternate time line where all the pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths stuff could have still happened?
    It's a little weird, ennit?

IF the JLA/JSA crossover is somewhat intact, it would have to go something like this:
    - Seven Soldiers fight the Hand, Wing sacrifices himself, and they get scattered through time.
    - As per the original story everyone forgets the SSOV.
    - The JLA/JSA team-up to rescue the time-tossed Soldiers. Unlike the original story, Green Arrow is NOT a member of the team at this time, as no one remembers him. He (and Speedy) got thrown back in time a little while ago, and everyone forgot them.
    - Now rescued, Green Arrow and Speedy continue their careers. Green Arrow is a little older than his peers, having spent some time in the past. Roy starts off a little older than his peers, but is actually aging rather slowly, having spent a REALLY LONG TIME as an ensorcelled centaur under Circe's control. This, more than anything, messes with his head and sends him down a path towards riding the dragon.

If it's NOT intact, they just got flung to the "present," with Ollie and Roy older than they should be, which is less than ideal.

Me, I LIKE the idea of Roy suffering lingering aftereffects of being a centaur.

Also, given that the Seven Soldiers weren't THAT big a team, I bet they're going to shove all their adventures with Ollie and Roy into a one year time-frame. Roy Thomas would weep, but I'll accept it.

-

By the way, while it's not part of the DC comic book universe continuity, the CW-related (TV show) issue of Earth-Prime: Stargirl #4 released this month did have some flashbacks with the Seven Soldiers.