Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Movies With Superheroes That Aren't Superhero Movies

Defining a superhero as someone who can routinely accomplish physical feats no ordinary person can do. A few off the top of my head:

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
    Harry Potter
    Ghost

What are some you can come up with?

Ace Ventura.
    The guy could talk to animals and catch bullets in his teeth (while driving), was able to shrug off taking a spear in each thigh. He was a Child of Light, which allowed him to communicate w. his mentor in a metaphysical manner.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Darkman
    The Shadow
    Conan
    Solomon Kane
    Unbreakable/Split/Glass
    Highlander
    Robocop
    Dune
    VforVendetta

Any movie involving 007 (especially GoldenEye):

BANNED

So would Jedis from Star Wars also count. they are called space wizards.

Superheroes are a sub genre of fantasy. I think some fantasy fans may not be too appreciative of putting some characters like harry potter in the superhero bubble, when the term Wizards can be argue to be a more iconic term than superheroes

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Defining a superhero as someone who can routinely accomplish physical feats no ordinary person can do
    That's a pretty weird definition. If you go that way any sport movie is full of super heroes.

And by that definition Magneto or Xavier aren't super heroes (vilains) lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    That's a pretty weird definition. If you go that way any sport movie is full of super heroes.

And by that definition Magneto or Xavier aren't super heroes (vilains) lol.
    Xavier and magneto are superheroes, also I think it is because we hardly ever see xavier and magneto fight physically. their fight was more about intellectual and about social differences, than needing to punch each other, so their dynamic always came off as what we can not call the most generic definition of super heroes, that it was all about doing things what ordinary humans cannot do physically. which is more ironic because Magneto and Xavier are two of the most powerful mutants in terms of physical feats.

Additionally though, I never used to read xmen because of their power physical feats, I always thought that was why Avengers comics existed more. the soap opera part of the comics and themes, were always ,more interesting than that the power feats of some...many mutants

Retired

How times have changed. In my prime Marvel reading days (1970s/1980s), Magneto was still considered a super-villain--and the X-Men were such big sellers that nearly every other Marvel character was redefined as a mutant, just so they could be considered worthy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    How times have changed. In my prime Marvel reading days (1970s/1980s), Magneto was still considered a super-villain--and the X-Men were such big sellers that nearly every other Marvel character was redefined as a mutant, just so they could be considered worthy.
    I don't think nearly every other character was ever considered as a mutant. X-MEN in the 70/80s era which was no doubt their best era in terms of actually quality comic book story because those were the Chris cLaremont eras, their universe started to build the stand alone universe, that it has sort of completely become now.

Never heard of anyone thinking Hulk, Daredevil, Fantastic 4 were nearly called mutants. infact that was the era, marvel was sort of selling the narrative their heroes were just ordinary humans, that had extra ordinary human things happened to them. exposed to gamma rays , radio active spiders or cosmic rays and they are meant to be more relatable than the DC heroes

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Defining a superhero as someone who can routinely accomplish physical feats no ordinary person can do. A few off the top of my head:

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
    Harry Potter
    Ghost

What are some you can come up with?
    That definition is way too broad. Almost every action movie hero performs feats no ordinary human can. Even those supposed "realistic" ones.

Boisterously Confused

From the moment Rambo goes nuts in the Cop Shop, I'd say First Blood qualifies.

There's probably a case for all the Indiana Jones films based on the mysticism the hero encountered, plus his sheer stamina and durability.

Spectacular Member

Push which is a way under appreciated movie IMO.

Attack of the Fifty-Foot Woman

Any Star Trek film where Mr. Spock demonstrates superior Vulcan strength, the Vulcan nerve pinch or the Vulcan mind-meld

Abbot and Costello Meet the Invisible Man. Lou Costello becomes invisible himself for part of the film.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackTerror View Post
    Push which is a way under appreciated movie IMO.
    I agree. Jumper would be one too.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    That definition is way too broad. Almost every action movie hero performs feats no ordinary human can. Even those supposed "realistic" ones.
    Just what I thought