Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Well, that was awful. The rock star and twin episode were cringy. The first was good but it was boiler plate samurai with Star Wars tacked on. The Ninth Jedi showed some promise, but the rest were meh.
    Sounds perfect.

I think perhaps the next season could do more to branch away from Jedi/force stuff to other aspects of Star Wars. Seemed a bit repetitive. Even the band one had a former padawan.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Just finished watching Star Wars Visions and here's my review:

It was stupid.

It was boring. And at times, cringy.

I found myself skipping ahead every ten seconds to get to the end of each episode.

Extraordinary Member

As much as Lucas cribbed from Kurasowa and other Japanese Directors and their works about the Samurai, is it any surprise that when the Japanese get to play with the toy box they decide to do Samurai stories with Jedi and Sith? That stuff was theirs first!

Also when you take The Force and Jedi and Sith out of Star Wars, as much as I like Han Solo, Bounty Hunters, and the underbelly of the Star Wars universe there's nothing special about that universe without The Force and Jedi compared to other Sci Fi universes.

Even the people who created all the stuff for the Expanded Universe figured that bit out years ago.

I was kind of surprised when they incorporated Prequel stuff like the Clone Wars and Battle Droids.

I tried an experiment. I initially watched the series in English Dub.

So I went back and switched it to Japanese Dub with English subtitles.

When the correction was made, it suddenly felt like I was watching a legitimate anime, but I still felt that the episodes were ineffectual in their execution.

Each episode felt too safe and too family-friendly. They didn't take any chances at all with the content.

In the end, it didn't feel like Star Wars had a clear vision with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    I tried an experiment. I initially watched the series in English Dub.

So I went back and switched it to Japanese Dub with English subtitles.

When the correction was made, it suddenly felt like I was watching a legitimate anime, but I still felt that the episodes were ineffectual in their execution.

Each episode felt too safe and too family-friendly. They didn't take any chances at all with the content.

In the end, it didn't feel like Star Wars had a clear vision with this.
    Well, apparently more like English dubtitles.

If there wasn't a clear "vision"...well, it was various different studios and creatives making their own Star Wars anime shorts, so I don't think there should be an expectation of consistency in that kind of anthology. In my opinion at least.

The content seemed about on par with the usual Star Wars brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, apparently more like English dubtitles.

If there wasn't a clear "vision"...well, it was various different studios and creatives making their own Star Wars anime shorts, so I don't think there should be an expectation of consistency in that kind of anthology. In my opinion at least.

The content seemed about on par with the usual Star Wars brand.
    You know what would have been far more effective and entertaining was if Disney would have crossed Star Wars with Tokuatsu.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    You know what would have been far more effective and entertaining was if Disney would have crossed Star Wars with Tokuatsu.
    That's basically The Mandalorian .

Extraordinary Member

I decided not to binge watch this and I am only sorry there aren't more episodes this season.

So far I've seen up to TO B1, and I've enjoyed every episode I've seen so far even Tatooine Rapsody and TO B1, which are really different in tone for Star Wars.

As opposed to the Twins episode, which was an exaggerated Dragonball like take on what Star Wars already is.

Extraordinary Member

I thought this anthology was a ton of fun with lots of cool ideas and great animations.

If I had to rank them all it would go:

1. The Village Bride
    2. Lop & Ocho
    3. The Duel
    4. The Ninth Jedi
    5. The Twins
    6. Tattoine Rhapsody
    7. The Elder
    8. Atakiri
    9. TO-B1

Seems that TO-B1 is either the best or the worst on a lot of lists. It's main inspiration I believe, was the Capcom MEGA MAN video game series, with of course a bit of Astro Boy in there as well (MM was probably inspired by AB anyway).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

T0-B1 while good is just Astro Boy in Star Wars. I was hoping for something more creative than that

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Seems that TO-B1 is either the best or the worst on a lot of lists. It's main inspiration I believe, was the Capcom MEGA MAN video game series, with of course a bit of Astro Boy in there as well (MM was probably inspired by AB anyway).
    To be clear, I don't dislike any of these really. They're all fun in their own right.

TO-B1 is just the one I either enjoyed the least or found the least interesting. But it's really cute and has great animation.

Mighty Member