Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Less anime but still looks visually fantastic .

Saw the first two so far. Somewhat similar in plot (defeating a Sith lord) but otherwise totally different in style and outcome.

Screecher's Reech (Which seems to be the most well-received of the bunch) kind of reminds me a bit of Darth Zannah's origin story from the old EU (Zannah is still canon, at least in the sense of being Bane's apprentice).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-04-2023 at 10:02 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

3rd episode, "Into the Stars" is a nice claymation tale (with a bit of a painting cartoon flashback) with two sisters dealing with an Imperial faculty. Sort of a usual Star Wars "Base attack" sequence but still pretty cool.

4th episode is a funny Aardman short, "I am your mother" with the usual style of humor and if you're familiar with his stuff. It features a race, with the villains sporting hairdos shaped like Vader's helmet and what looks like an evil version of one of Padme's ships. Denis Lawson reprises Wedge here but doesn't sound much like his OT stuff (or the dub guy in ANH) although he's doing it mainly as a race announcer here and not the serious pilot of the films. A ship similar to the Stinger Mantis also appears in the race.

Almost finished. Sure there's a lot of variety and beauty to the animation, but is it just me or is the plots of the shorts more "Star Wars by numbers" than the somewhat bolder stuff season 1 did? They even can all fit neatly into SW continuity.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Almost finished. Sure there's a lot of variety and beauty to the animation, but is it just me or is the plots of the shorts more "Star Wars by numbers" than the somewhat bolder stuff season 1 did? They even can all fit neatly into SW continuity.
    There was nothing bold about the first season. Same boilerplate stuff.

3rd episode, "Into the Stars" is a nice claymation tale (with a bit of a painting cartoon flashback) with two sisters dealing with an Imperial faculty. Sort of a usual Star Wars "Base attack" sequence but still pretty cool.
    I never rooted so much for the death of a child.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    I'm going to guess you're the kind of Star Wars fan who didn't like the Ewoks.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Though perhaps not as diverse in tone as season one, I think overall I enjoyed more episodes of season 2 than I did in the first season.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Last two episodes were interesting-same subject matter (Kyber) but unique storylines. "The Pit" is one of the two episodes to really use anime aesthetics as it was done by a Japanese studio working with Lucasfilm. I read somewhere that the planet was intended to be Jedha but don't remember where.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I didn't mind the Ewoks, but that kid was so suicidally stupid, that only by authorial fiat did she not get them both killed. (and in certain interpretations of events she did.)
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    I felt very much the same. Least favorite of the 5 I have watched so far.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 05-08-2023 at 03:25 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I saw them as a merchandising grab by Lucas. They might of worked better today with CGI, but little people in teddy bear costumes did not do it for me.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I was promised a planet full of wookiees.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Always loved the Ewoks, fuzzy dudes who live in tree forts definitely looked like a life style that appealed to me as a kid and I still love them now.

It's a litmus test for me, if you're cool with the Ewoks then we're going to see eye to eye on what makes Star Wars great and if not then I'm not going to understand what draws you in or get your complaints.
    For superhero comics it's the same with Krypto, if a flying dog with super powers isn't cool to you then I'm probably not going to enjoy comics the way you do.

Here, with the kid sister getting into trouble it's the same way; that's a basic but fun trope of youth fantasy and coming of age stories so it didn't dampen my enjoyment of the episode at all and I thought it was fun.

Some nice visuals, but pretty much "meh". I thought the "Indian" episode was just too Indian. It's one thing to make a place seem earthlike, like the Old West stuff in Mandolorian. But this made me think I was watching one of theose Star Trek episodes where a culture is exactly like it is on Earth, down to the aliens. It also had another Jedi child who was too annoying and thoughtless to live.
    The last episode was just cruel and sad, even with the rescue ending.