Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Does Martian Manhunter have to many powers?

I think if they just focused on the density control, shape shifting and telepathy he would be plenty powerful enough, but, then they give him all the standard Superman abilities to. I think DC has to many Superman like characters as it is and I think keeping MM in that group kind of hinders the character.

My ideal MM is more of a character that works from the shadows, and is less of a green Superman with even more powers.

The one I think is ridiculous is heat vision. A character whose weakness is fire has heat vision.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The one I think is ridiculous is heat vision. A character whose weakness is fire has heat vision.
    I forgot MM had heat vision, he barely uses that ability.

He has Martian Vision. BIG difference.
    Joking aside, it's like he fires lasers from his eyes, lasers that can incinerate things, but are not, per say, fire rays.
    On the topic, I don't think so. He probably has as many different powers as Superman, considering that he doesn't have super-speed, the invulnerability, most of the sensory powers, and the new flash burst power (I don't know what it's called), but does have shape-changing, density control (which a lot of people confuse with invulnerability) and telepathy. And the OP's suggestion more or less does come true, since those are the powers they foccus on when it comes to J'onn. It's just that density control gives him strength and invulnerability when at high density, and flight when at a lower density. I can't remember the last time J'onn used his Martian breath, but even that might be tied to an application of his shapechanging power. I do like when writers foccus on a combination of J'onn's powers in combat. It really makes him lethal.
    As for the fire weakness, I've always prefered when it was suggested that it might be a psychosomatic weakness, rather than a physical one.

Peace

Flash burst? You mean Solar Flare?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I think if they just focused on the density control, shape shifting and telepathy he would be plenty powerful enough, but, then they give him all the standard Superman abilities to. I think DC has to many Superman like characters as it is and I think keeping MM in that group kind of hinders the character.

My ideal MM is more of a character that works from the shadows, and is less of a green Superman with even more powers.
    A friend of mine used to joke that Spock was the Martian Manhunter of Star Trek because, anytime they introduced a new power that was not previously there, just say, "He's a Vulcan/ Martian and they can do that". I played a ripoff of the MM once in a rpg and managed to get most of his powers. Even though they were at minor levels compared to him, I was so versatile that there was almost no situation I could not resolve with just powers.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    He has Martian Vision. BIG difference.
    Joking aside, it's like he fires lasers from his eyes, lasers that can incinerate things, but are not, per say, fire rays.
    On the topic, I don't think so. He probably has as many different powers as Superman, considering that he doesn't have super-speed, the invulnerability, most of the sensory powers, and the new flash burst power (I don't know what it's called), but does have shape-changing, density control (which a lot of people confuse with invulnerability) and telepathy. And the OP's suggestion more or less does come true, since those are the powers they foccus on when it comes to J'onn. It's just that density control gives him strength and invulnerability when at high density, and flight when at a lower density. I can't remember the last time J'onn used his Martian breath, but even that might be tied to an application of his shapechanging power. I do like when writers foccus on a combination of J'onn's powers in combat. It really makes him lethal.
    As for the fire weakness, I've always prefered when it was suggested that it might be a psychosomatic weakness, rather than a physical one.

Peace
    True but a laser is more or less fire so intense it's focused into a narrow beam.

I really like the original idea of the MM as a detective and a stranger stranded in a strange land.
    Power with Girl is better.

I'm fine with the multiple power...itsmote the level of power. He is Superman strong, on Professor X level mentally, Invisible like Invisible Woman, super-speed like the Flash, a detective like Batman...and more stuff at max level.

I think one ability should be max level but the rest should be very low...like 10 ton strength or speed of sound flight and speed.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Ultimate Member

Idk if he has too many powers but I'd prefer that he have focus on the more distinct powers instead of the basic flying brick ones.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    I'm fine with the multiple power...itsmote the level of power. He is Superman strong, on Professor X level mentally, Invisible like Invisible Woman, super-speed like the Flash, a detective like Batman...and more stuff at max level.

I think one ability should be max level but the rest should be very low...like 10 ton strength or speed of sound flight and speed.
    yeah, that would work,

make shapeshifting, and telepathy his primary density control, his secondary. Any superstrength he has should come from combining his other powers and should be way less prominent. Strength for example could be a combination of his strength and density control. He really shouldn't need super speed, But his flight could again be related to his density control.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 07-04-2021 at 04:16 PM.

Yeah he definitely shouldn’t be Superman level strength and I would get rid of the super speed. He could be really fast but not on Kryptonian level. The telepathy, invisibility, and shape shifting should be his “level 10” powers.

Maybe they should give him the Young Justice powerset?

Telepathy, Telekinesis, Shape-shifting

Boisterously Confused

Thing is, MM was never designed to be a superhero. He was retrofit for the genre. Fans that want to say They Have Identified The Inflection Point Of The Silver Age want him to have been designed as a superhero, but he wasn't.

He was designed as a plot device resembling The Spectre for a Sci-fi+Noir age, who spent most of his time in his human disguise. As a plot device, it didn't matter how powerful he was, the whole weakness to fire thing was intended to limit the plot device.

The story was the point. This was also in a time when features like The Manhunter From Mars were cheap monthly throwaways, by editors trying anything to see what would stick. Don't believe me? Go back and read those non-Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman comics from the mid-1950s.

Then The Silver Age congealled, along with its overlapping continuties, and he had to fit in with all the other superheroes. Above all else, his powers could not outshine Superman's.

So, DC has been struggling with what to do with him since 1961. Sixty years now.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    considering that he doesn't have super-speed
    Since when?

Justice league unlimited animated show and young justice show Martian powers are perfect either way, so give him those.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.