Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member Prince Disarming's Avatar

Default Is it possible to be a casual mainstream comics fan?

I'm fairly new to the world of comics and have mainly been reading indie stuff, mostly Image titles. Despite the best efforts of Marvel and DC to try and make their work more accessible to new readers, I can't help but feel like getting into Mainstream, primarily Superhero, comics is a Herculean task. I realize both Marvel and particularly DC seem to be bending over backwards to try and make it simpler, but I think they have failed. While some continuity might be clearer, it is still too impenetrable. Let's say, I decide I like Batman and want to read something with him in it. That is great, but It turns out there are tons of different Batman books, and the same goes for any major character, and from what I understand they often times share stories between them. That is no good because suddenly I have to start reading 12 books right out of the gate. Then you have event titles every couple of months that take dozens of comics spread throughout the shared universe to tell their story and whatever happens in that event will be referenced in other books down the line.

To keep up with Mainstream comics it seems to me it is either all or nothing. Their are no casual fans, because you need to be reading a bunch of comics each month to follow what is going on. Am I completely off base here? What say you?

I see no issue. If you treat yourself to a TPB collected edition once in a while that sounds good based on the back cover and flipping through, the art catches your eye, then that's fine. If you grab a few of the classics based on recommendation and don't immediately go out and get more, that's cool too. I've had periods in my life where I was casual. I really only got super engrossed within the last few years. When and if the time is right and you've got the funds, you can binge buy anything that looks good and stay on top of monthlies that you like. But I totally understand being hesitant to dive in. I sort of slowly came around to it. It was only once I got a crippling case of mono and was bedridden for four months that I was able to really dedicate the time to it. I can't stress enough how comics kept my spirits up while I was in the worst shape of my life. The larger than life stories helped distract me from the agonizing pain. But by the time I returned to normal life, collecting was still a regular part of my routine. I'm not saying you'd have to go through the same thing, but when its right, it'll happen. If not, casual reading is completely cool. I commend anyone for giving it a shot, since its not for everyone. And if there's any snotty, long-time collectors looking to give you grief ( like say clerks at your local LCS. Those guys seem to be miserable no matter how much small talk you make), well... f**k'em ;-)
    Last edited by MykeHavoc; 08-24-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Disarming View Post
    I'm fairly new to the world of comics and have mainly been reading indie stuff, mostly Image titles. Despite the best efforts of Marvel and DC to try and make their work more accessible to new readers, I can't help but feel like getting into Mainstream, primarily Superhero, comics is a Herculean task. I realize both Marvel and particularly DC seem to be bending over backwards to try and make it simpler, but I think they have failed. While some continuity might be clearer, it is still too impenetrable. Let's say, I decide I like Batman and want to read something with him in it. That is great, but It turns out there are tons of different Batman books, and the same goes for any major character, and from what I understand they often times share stories between them. That is no good because suddenly I have to start reading 12 books right out of the gate. Then you have event titles every couple of months that take dozens of comics spread throughout the shared universe to tell their story and whatever happens in that event will be referenced in other books down the line.

To keep up with Mainstream comics it seems to me it is either all or nothing. Their are no casual fans, because you need to be reading a bunch of comics each month to follow what is going on. Am I completely off base here? What say you?

What you describe is actually a big problem these days. When I was a kid it was a little different, if there was a popular character, he had maybe a few different titles but they all had their own storylines so it was actually not super hard to decide on what to buy if you had a limited budget. You might go, "Oh, this Detective Comics story has Joker so I get this," or "Oh, this Batman has the secret past of Robin so I'll get this, " or this Brave and the Bold has nice art so that's the one. These days, a popular franchise will have almost TEN spinoffs that all tie into each other. So it's harder to choose just on a whim. Marvel and DC make it harder by putting out "event comics" that make it necessary to buy multiple title just to understand one storyline. The decompression that you get in a lot of comics hurts thing even more.

The impression I get from some readers that get into comics as adults is that they start with trades and if there's a particular title or creator that really moves them, they might move into monthlies.

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Disarming View Post
    It's not all or nothing. A person can be a casual fan of anything. Of course, you'll find hardcore superhero comic fans on comic book websites.

You are right (IMO) about mainstream superhero comics (AKA, the Big Two) being not very accessible, though. Try trades of the most well known stories. They are, at most times, self contained. For example, for Batman, try Year One or Dark Knight Returns.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    What you describe is actually a big problem these days. When I was a kid it was a little different, if there was a popular character, he had maybe a few different titles but they all had their own storylines so it was actually not super hard to decide on what to buy if you had a limited budget. You might go, "Oh, this Detective Comics story has Joker so I get this," or "Oh, this Batman has the secret past of Robin so I'll get this, " or this Brave and the Bold has nice art so that's the one. These days, a popular franchise will have almost TEN spinoffs that all tie into each other. So it's harder to choose just on a whim. Marvel and DC make it harder by putting out "event comics" that make it necessary to buy multiple title just to understand one storyline. The decompression that you get in a lot of comics hurts thing even more.

The impression I get from some readers that get into comics as adults is that they start with trades and if there's a particular title or creator that really moves them, they might move into monthlies.
    Someone said in another thread that no company would pay for ad space these days due to limited readership. Its interesting that back in the day, besides the casual, all small type of the letters section in the back, there wasn't nearly as much in your face future advertisement, presurring you to not miss the hundred or so tie ins that are all must reads for the next big crossover event, where as today, that's all we have.

BANNED

I would say yes, but then again I don't consider Marvel/DC superhero comics to be anywhere near the mainstream.

BANNED

That's why I don't read them. Well, one reason.

But if you wanted, you could stick to non canon and out of continuity OGN's and miniseries like The Killing Joke. Options are limited though, and the amount of research dedicated to find these out of continuity non canon OGN's is a whole lot more work than grabbing an issue off the shelf, so unless you really enjoy it I'd say not worth the effort.

It can be done, but only if you find small corners of shared universes that you like, and that corner isn't over saturated. Daredevil and any other street level Marvel Knight type character is usually going to be self contained or at worst cross over with other same type books, which aren't going to be that many. Some of these far corners of the shared universes even get left out of events entirely, so that's a bonus, too.

I don't read anything from Marvel and DC currently, so I can't really offer great suggestions, but it has been my experience that these books are always out there, but not usually for the most popular characters (or you sometimes can get that one really popular character that stars in one monthly that is "continuity lite" and is fairly self contained).

IMO, give it another ten years. I honestly believe that the quality of comics is cyclical, with low points and high points, and right now the Big Two are at a very low point, on the verge of changes that will result in some classic reads. In the mean time, I suggest just going back and checking some older stuff out. If you want suggestions in that regard, I can give you some direction.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    That's why I don't read them. Well, one reason.

But if you wanted, you could stick to non canon and out of continuity OGN's and miniseries like The Killing Joke. Options are limited though, and the amount of research dedicated to find these out of continuity non canon OGN's is a whole lot more work than grabbing an issue off the shelf, so unless you really enjoy it I'd say not worth the effort.
    Despite original intent, KJ was indeed made canon and even survived the New 52 reboot. Barbara has flashbacks in the first arc of Batgirl.

I think new readers get scared that they have to read everything. You don't. You can pick up an in continuity trade in the middle of many runs and be just fine. Take Zero Year for example. This story wasn't told until 2 years into the book, but is pretty new reader friendly. That's listed as vol 4 on the spine, but shouldn't intimidate a new reader into feeling it necessary to first read 1-3. If they loved it, they could most certainly grab the earlier volumes and get just as much enjoyment. But I'd still recommend Year One over it, despite the fact that it is officially out of continuity, because its concise and top quality, and despite the 80's setting, still holds up and is spiritually relevant to the current books. As is Long Halloween. And Arkham Asylum. And Killing Joke. And Hush. And Under the Red Hood. And Dark Knight Returns etc.
    Last edited by MykeHavoc; 08-24-2014 at 06:39 PM.

It's difficult, especially since "mainstream" comics (Marvel, DC) are the toughest to follow. Those are the ones set in shared universes with crossovers, retcons and occasional reboots.

It's also convoluted to figure out how to get the right digital downloads/ back issues.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's difficult, especially since "mainstream" comics (Marvel, DC) are the toughest to follow. Those are the ones set in shared universes with crossovers, retcons and occasional reboots.

It's also convoluted to figure out how to get the right digital downloads/ back issues.
    Which is only made significantly worse with the recent development of constant renumbering, where you get a new volume of every book after about 18 issues.

"Which Avengers #1? Volume 4, 5 or 6? They all came out in the last five years....."
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

BANNED

If you look at the publishing strategies of Marvel and DC these days, they're effectively designed to get you to push as much product as possible in a short period of time to squeeze all the money out of new customers before they lose interest. So your only options are either to stick with buying a ton of titles and become a hardcore fan, or just give up entirely, it's practically impossible to be a "casual" fan in the sense of just reading one or two books over an extended period of time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    It can be done, but only if you find small corners of shared universes that you like, and that corner isn't over saturated. Daredevil and any other street level Marvel Knight type character is usually going to be self contained or at worst cross over with other same type books, which aren't going to be that many. Some of these far corners of the shared universes even get left out of events entirely, so that's a bonus, too.

I don't read anything from Marvel and DC currently, so I can't really offer great suggestions, but it has been my experience that these books are always out there, but not usually for the most popular characters (or you sometimes can get that one really popular character that stars in one monthly that is "continuity lite" and is fairly self contained).

IMO, give it another ten years. I honestly believe that the quality of comics is cyclical, with low points and high points, and right now the Big Two are at a very low point, on the verge of changes that will result in some classic reads. In the mean time, I suggest just going back and checking some older stuff out. If you want suggestions in that regard, I can give you some direction.
    Would this creative revival mean more obscure and new characters taking over?

Extraordinary Member

I'm very casual, believe it or not. Comics are essentially my life, but I don't get too involved.

It depends on what you read. There are superhero titles from the big two that don't deal in heavy continuity, don't cross over that much (or that seriously), and don't require a huge investment in the overall line. Sure, the X-Men books, the Batman books, and some of the other big "families" are touch to crack, but there's a lot of other stuff out there. For example, I think you could easily get into books like Hawkeye, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, or Rocket Raccoon without having to delve too deeply into the rest of the Marvel Universe. I'm not currently up on my DC, but I'd assume there to be a few viable options there, as well.