Default Valiant universe worth a look?

I'm talking about the 2012 relaunch onwards. I love shared universes like Hellboy and I enjoy some superhero comics. Is the Valiant universe worth diving into, in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by thecoffeeman View Post
    I'm talking about the 2012 relaunch onwards. I love shared universes like Hellboy and I enjoy some superhero comics. Is the Valiant universe worth diving into, in your opinion?
    There are some fun comics here and there.

I read The Valiant and it was a great comicbook, but it didn't impact me as much as to further dwell into its shared universe. I think you can read The Valiant and then decide if you want more of these characters or you don't
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Mighty Member

I'm reading the new Shadowman, that's really good so far. While I don't think it'll gain much mainstream attention, I think it's a run that will gain comic attention.

I really wanted to like the new Valiant being a huge fan of the 1991 Valiant universe.
    Sadly it doesnt live up to its legacy. I keep trying books from time to time - but they are lacking compared to the classics.

Forgetting the legacy books and looking at it on its own - theres some decent comics in the line. Nothing earth shattering. I liked the original Harbinger Wars and Rai is always solid. Bloodshot is good in spots. Archer and Armstrong + Quantum&Woody are a fun time.
    Rai and X-O are Valiant's best characters - but with so many reboots - its gotten way too confusing and inconsistent. A shame really.

I think missing out on the Gold Key characters really hurt the line from the beginning in my opinion - Magnus, Solar, Turok are too integral to Valiant's heyday.
    Last edited by Destro777; 07-05-2021 at 07:41 PM.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Absolutely worth a look.
    I will contradict Destro777 and yes I was an OG Valiant fan of the 90s myself. The only point I'd agree with him is Valiant without the Gold Key characters is more sad than noticeably missing, at least for the first few years.

The relaunch from 2012 - 2018 has many great series. Some overlap more than others. I'd say the 80/20 rule is in full affect give or take your tastes.

Greats
    X-O Manowar's first run of 50 issues is a masterpiece
    Harbinger followed by Imperium are must reads
    Ninjak is brilliant and you'll want the Bleeding Monk one shot as well.
    Rai spins a lot more backstory than the OG and it is a great edition to the lore. Both series
    Doctor Mirage - great ties to the spirit and underworlds of the VU
    Archer and Armstrong(1st series) is a fun book that has humor elements but is not consumed by them.
    Bloodshot(the first two series)
    Unity
    The Valiant
    Ninja*K - second series for Ninjak

Mixed Opinions
    Shadowman
    Eternal Warrior
    Generation Zero
    Quantum & Woody(any series) - very irreverent dripping with, imo, more attempts at comedy, than actual comedy. I feel it is the "trying to hard" approach for most writers with them.
    Faith
    Archer & Armstrong (2nd series)
    Killers
    Divinity(all 3 minis)
    Brittania(all 3 minis) - a historical detective book tied to 1st century A.D. No ties to modern Valiant characters but that was ok.

Bad
    Dead Drop mini-series

I may have forgotten one/two titles but that is the bulk of '12-'18 production.

Since they was a forced buy out and change in management where main man Dinesh Shamdasani was let go quality went down hill even before Covid-19. There was a long period of about 10months were nothing came out in 2020 from Valiant. This is when they went down to 2 titles a month.
    Visitor has been the best book. Shows ties to Rai, somewhat of a prequel but unclear how events might have effected the future.
    Shadowman is back on track
    X-O's third series is bad as was the 3rd Bloodshot series of only 10 issues.
    Savage mini did not impress me nor has his current ongoing.

For sure check out most titles pre-2019. I'm hoping the company gets back on track. As a fan of the character library I'm still here. Best way to have an informed opinion is to tuff out the rough times.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by thecoffeeman View Post
    It's definitely worth checking out! That initial relaunch was really strong imo, despite (as others here have pointed out) the lack of the Gold Key heroes. There is an optimal order to read them in though, at least in my opinion. I'd start with X-O Manowar and Harbinger before spinning off into Bloodshot and other books. This will familiarize you with certain characters and themes that play a larger role into the greater universe.

As others have said, prior to 2017, anything other than Dead Drop is worth a look. I wouldn't bother with anything from the last few years.

Mighty Member

When Valiant first relaunched it was practically win after win after win after win. I haven't read anything Valiant since it got usurped by its new owners.

Thanks all!